How Do I ReFormat My Computer??

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:25 pm
Okay, enough wasted time on this search hijack / spyware.

I'm going to reload XP Pro but saw on several other threads that I should reformat first.

How do I do that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,339 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:34 pm
bookmark

(I'm in the same position, Squinney. Good luck)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
Ooooh! We'll BOTH be without A2K for several hours then? Gosh, I hope they can spare us...

Seriously, I've had to restrain myself from throwing the whole computer out the window. I have over 8 spyware detectors and Norton and nothing shows up in my Hijack This log. No idea where it is, but it's about to get it's hiney booted out.

(I talk so tough! Watch me come crying back here tomorrow via Bears computer cause reformating fails, too)
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
I have Xp Home Edition. I'm not sure if XP Pro is the same, hopefully someone else will be able to clarify this.

Back up everything...pictures, emails, music...

This is how to reformat Xp Home Edition, just to give you an idea on how XP reformatting works:

Xp Home Editon has a restore disc, so when you are ready to reformat, just insert the disc, restart your computer; the disc will prompt you on what to do next. Everything will be erased. Also, make sure you have any supplemental disks ready when you are prompted to use them. The whole procedure will take about 40 min...Your computer will be restored to the original factory settings.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:59 pm
Thanks, colorbook. We got XP Pro a couple of years ago via Bears friend that works at Microsoft. It is only one disc that I assumed was the whole OS. I don't have one specificly labeled restore. Do you just have one disc, or two?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:01 pm
Follow colorbooks suggestion of backing up everything on disk that you want to save. You need to have "Recovery CDs" to get your computer back to when you first bought it home from the store. The recover disks I have reestablishes Windows Me, the original OS. I have a Windows Xp disk that I use to change it. I done it several times, and it worked fine.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:13 pm
Hmm. I'm clueless as to where a recovery disc might be, but it would contain Windows 2000, and would not include several pieces of added hardware.

Can I just boot from the XP disk I have? Or will that not erase what is on my computer? I want everything wiped out so I make sure the spyware is gone.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:13 pm
I have a Compaq computer and they provided me with 3 discs.

1. Restore Plus CD
2. Operating System CD
3. Supplemental Softwre CD

I imagine each computer manufacturer offers different kinds of reformatting discs. You will have to look up the info in your computer manual.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
Since your operating system was not XP originally, I'm not completely sure how the reformatting is done. Hopefully someone with expert advice will help you on this one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:53 pm
The Xp disk will reformat the disk from any other operating system, but I don't think that will clean up the computer with old stuff including virus.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
Well, Duke, I found this: http://www.thefuhrmans.com/reformat_hd.htm

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:14 pm
It looks like a lot of work. Good luck squinney Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
squinney wrote:
Well, Duke, I found this: http://www.thefuhrmans.com/reformat_hd.htm

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

I only read the first paragraph of step 5 in those instructions but I can see the author doesn't really know what he/she is talking about.

Make sure to let us know via bear's 'puter if you have any trouble...

Good luck, squinney...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:50 pm
Well, luckily I guess, my daughter called me away. Haven't started yet.

Better idea monger? What should I do?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
squinney wrote:
Well, luckily I guess, my daughter called me away. Haven't started yet.

Better idea monger? What should I do?

Well, the steps outlined on that page are pretty good....it's just some of the details that are screwy....but then I haven't really read any of it.
I'll just copy & paste their step titles here and add a couple quick comments.... feel free to ask if there's further info you'll need....

1. Inventory the hardware and software

Very good thing to do. Belarc, as they suggested using, is an easy, quick way to get it all printed out.

2. Locate the original installation CDs and registration keys for each software application and original installation CDs for most of the pieces of hardware

You've mentioned that you do indeed have your WinXP CD handy. However, you've said it "came from a friend at Microsoft"...maybe not so good...it depends whether it's genuine or not. If it isn't, it's possible you'll have some trouble trying to activate Windows after installing it, in which case it would stop working 60 days after installation, I believe.

Also, do you have CDs handy for other software you'll need?

3. Download the latest drivers for the hardware and updates for the software

Since you have another computer handy, there isn't much need to bother with this. Windows installation &/or the Windows Update site will handle most drivers, & those it can't find, if any, can be downloaded & transfered over from bear's PC.

It's a good idea to do it all in advance, but I'm just trying to save you time here since you may not need to manually download any drivers.

4. Backup the entire hard drive

Probably unnessesary. If you want, just back up the files you know you want to keep (e.g. stuff under My Documents, the desktop, your Favorites, & your email).

5. Format the hard drive

This can be done during Windows installation (see below).

6. Install Windows

On most PCs you'll be able to just insert you Windows 2000 or XP installation CD, reboot the computer, and when prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD", do so. Then follow the prompts.

Actually in your case there are some very specific steps you'll want to take during installation, in regards to deleting your old partitions, recreating them then formatting using the NTFS file system.

7. Install hardware drivers
8. Install anti-virus and firewall software, run updates, and set personal preferences
9. Connect to the internet and e-mail

Make sure you have handy any info from your ISP that you might need.

10. Install Windows updates
11. Install additional software
12. Copy the data files from the backup
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:04 pm
I'm on Bears computer. Don't want to change login since I don't know his password to change it back to him and he'll post when he gets home...

Anyway, I followed the steps through to putting the XP disk in (Yes, it's authentic - we paid for them, but he used his employee rate). Deleted old partion and created new one. Files now loading, so will see what happens.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:35 pm
Wow! That was so incredibly easy I can't believe I didn't do it weeks ago!!!

Thank you everyone for your patience and help. Now to re-load programs, My Documents, pics, etc.

Thanks, again!

PS. Duke, if you are really fed up, the re-load/reformat was painless compared to the hijack/ spyware. Just don't bother with the reformatting C: from My Computer as the guy in the link I gave above suggested. It didn't work because programs are in use. (duh)

Just follow what Monger said.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
I'm glad it worked for you. I reformat about every six months or so...it keeps the computer running nice and smooth.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
Great job, squinney! Smile

If you haven't done so yet, install WinXP service pack 2. Having a fresh system is a great time to do that, as you won't have spyware that may cause problems during the installation, and it's just one nice big package that'll bring your pc up to date without having to install several dozen individual updates.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
Thanks, Monger. That's what I just finished doing. Pretty painless as well.

Re-did my Norton antivirus, not that I trust it anymore. All of my updates were current and this thing still got through.

Now I just need that FTP program Craven had me download and I can finally get back to work. Gotta earn some money to pay for my hair replacements! Laughing
0 Replies