Hard of hearing and its malcontents, like me

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:11 pm
Roger, also from New Mexico, shares unhappiness with me re people who murmur, especially if they have been told you are hard of hearing. That was my cousin Nancy - she never spoke louder for her mother either ('my 101 year old aunt' stories of a2k yore) - N's younger sister had to do the talking up.

On the other hand, the old real not going deaf me liked murmurs from time to time - even ordinarily. My ex has an excellent speaking voice, studied theater; he called me today, and I realize I need to look into phones you can enhance (some voices are still fine or even too loud), or phone company add ons. His voice is as it always was, varying, and I hate having to say I don't hear, since what he is saying is interesting (politics, for instance).

I know we already have a quite good thread about hearing aids and such (I've been multiply tested, can't afford them at all), and I'll go back and reread. But I didn't know until I just looked that phones vary re all this.

So - I'm looking for information and experiences from people who purchased whatever.

No spam, per favore.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I have had three phones from Clarity. All were good or at least helpful when new. The first two failed totally within a year. The third still more or less works, and the volume control is still going strong. They all had selections for different types of loss. That has already failed on the current phone.

The state of NM has some department that will loan you a phone and a couple of other devices. You will need a form completed and signed by an audiologist, and I suggest you use one in a hospital audiology department. Medicare does contribute to the evaluation once a year, but is no help on hearing aids or other devices. They can also complete an evaluation and related forms on where to send it all. I don't recall whether it is Medicare A or B that provides the coverage. ETA: the loan period on these devices is 5 years. I've no idea why it is a loan because after 5 years, there is no value remaining.

On mumbling, I have been through just enough youtubes and CDs to know it's possible to get clear speech using headphones. Most are unintelligible. This is regrettable because video news articles are becoming more common all the time.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:47 pm
@roger,
I haven't renewed my medicaid (bad, bad, and stupid), but when I was last on it, you had to have some other kind of medicaid than I had (and I figure most) to get hearing help.

Thanks for the info about a form re phones... I can do forms if I know about them. My last audiology at UNM would be convincing.

Thanks, kiddo.
0 Replies