Asherman's hearing loss worsening

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Asherman's hearing loss is becoming more profound. His world is shrinking and I searching for ways to avoid that. I keep urging him to get some devices. He keeps saying he agrees that it's necessary but he does nothing about it. His wife Natalie is in the hospital but we hope she will be home within a week. He needs to do something about his situation now. So I'm going to up the nagging because his son will be here from San Francisco this weekend and he can do the installation.

I'm looking for the best type of equipment that is easy to install and not too expensive to help him.

Doorbell alerts, either lights or sounds. He currently has electrically connected doorbell, but he can't hear it.

Telephone amplification. His hearing aids are not much help. He needs an amplifier attachment.

Anyone have any experience and advise?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,327 • Replies: 37
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:17 am
There are gadgets galore. One of the best single places to find them is at Harris Communications:

http://www.harriscomm.com/

I have the Sonic Alert system -- it worked great for a few years, then haven't been able to get it to work since we moved but we're not sure why. What I had was a telephone signaler and a general noise signaler (doorbell, baby yelling, etc.), then those were connected to lamps throughout the house. Worked quite well.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:18 am
I haven't seen Asherman around for awhile and very much miss his wonderful historically detailed posts. Sorry to hear about his hearing loss. Sending my well wishes his way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:19 am
This is what I have, on sale now:

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18096

(Five-year warranty, hmph, just passed that. Oh well. I think it has something to do with my house, anyway.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:37 am
A few more local resources for Asherman, one of which should either be able to direct him to a program with loaners or which provides loaners, itself:

Self-Help for the Hard of Hearing:

http://www.abqshhh.homestead.com/

This one looks promising:

http://www.nedcomm.nm.org/~aslhc/
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:44 am
sozobe wrote:
This is what I have, on sale now:

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18096

(Five-year warranty, hmph, just passed that. Oh well. I think it has something to do with my house, anyway.)

Two things to check for:

1) Halogen lamp with a dimmer. These things wreak havoc with other electronics that are plugged into the same house circuit. Either turn it on, or turn it off, but do not use it dimmed.

2) 2.4 GHz devices. Wireless Internet, portable phones, etc. They could be interfering.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:27 pm
I've missed Asherman's posts, too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:55 pm
Oh how cool! Didn't expect to get an answer to that one. We have a halogen lamp with a dimmer!! AND we have wireless internet!!! No wonder.

Thanks!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:43 pm
Give Asherman my best.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:12 pm
I too miss Asherman's posts. I consider him #1 with respect to well written and soundly reasoned prose.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
Echoing everyone's comments about missing Asherman's posts, but enjoy when he is able to post. Please give him my best as well.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:50 pm
Oh, my! I'm sorry to hear that he's having problems. I hope that he finds a solution, and hope also to see his posts here again soon. It would be unthinkable to contemplate A2K with no more Asherman posts.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
it is possible 2.4 GHz devices. Wireless Internet and cordless phones to have minor troubles
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:11 pm
I miss Ashermans posts on art and history. Hes a needed guy around here.
Wow Drewdad, didnt know about the intereference envelope.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
Well that just sucks, BBB. I hope Sozobe's links will help you find what you need for him. You are being a very good friend to do this.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
There are dogs that are trained to assist those who have problems with hearing. Their training is similar to "seeing eye" dogs, plus their owners love them.

I, too, miss Asherman.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 11:02 am
Sozobe
Sozobe, Asherman's son and I talked by phone this morning and he is determined to order door bell, phone, smoke alert devices so Ash can hear them. Your info is very helpful. In addition, his son plans to buy a Blackberry for Ash, which will also help since e-mail is Ash's main method of communication.

Ash's wife, Natalie, was operated on this morning and we are waiting to learn the test result later today. She will probably be in the hospital for another week.

Thanks much,

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 11:31 am
BBB--

When you're next in touch with the family, please send my best wishes for Mrs. A's speedy recovery.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 11:54 am
Glad that the info was useful.

Yes, my Wyndtell (blackberry equivalent, actually earliest version of blackberry) was absolutely indispensible to me until it died 1-2 years ago. I can't believe I've gotten this far without one -- keep meaning to, keep not liking the prices. (I got one of the earliest ones -- device was pricey, but service plan was $9.99/ month. Nothing like that around anymore.)
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:28 pm
Thanks all for the expressions of concern. As you might suppose I have other things on my mind these days, and only occasionally stop by A2K for a quick look around. If anyone wants my opnion on anything (LOL) just let me know and I'll make a point of responding.

Natalie came down with an intestinal infection early in the month, we thought it might just be a passing cold. Then we thought, perhaps food poisoning. After all, there was a lot of vomiting and diareha. When the illness continued and worsened we took her to urgent care. They correctly diagnosed an intestinal infection and gave her an IV with some strong antibiotics in it. For a few days she was better, and then got very much worse. I took her in to our primary physician for a more thorough examination and he found her blood pressure to be 78/50 with a very elevated pulse. She went by amulance ($531) to the emergency room at Presbyterian Hospital, and has been there ever since.

X-rays, ultrasound and CATSCANs showed "spots" on her liver and spleen, so they took a biopsy to see if they were tumorous. The good news the spots weren't tumors, but abscesses. After her condition stabilized they removed her spleen and appendix last Friday. She is showing great improvement. She's now off the morphine and was sitting up and even walking a little today. She's started physical therapy. We have no idea when she will be released, but probably not until the end of this week at least. She may be sent to a rehabilitation facility for a week.

So far the hospital bill alone (excluding all those imaging tests, and doctors who have been involved) comes to over $75K. Because of our age and diabetes we haven't been able to get on a health plan, and so must pay the whole freight our selves. No medicaid or other assistance appears available because our income is "too high". Soak the rich, especially if they are Republican Conservatives (LOL)!!

Well, time for beddy-by ...... though I'm not getting much rest these days. Worry fosters weary.

Ash
0 Replies