Brownouts, internet connection

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:13 am
Our building gets frequent 'brownouts' and every time we have one, something screwy goes on with our internet connection (cable modem). I have been going on trial and error, and the only thing that seems to work is just resetting the modem, then restarting the computer. This doesn't always work though. Sometimes I need to do it 5 or 6 times. Sometimes just unplugging the connection to the modem works, sometimes I need to unplug the entire power bar where everything is connected. I'm stymied. Getting a connection isn't the problem, it's that the computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize that there is a connection. This only happens when we have brownouts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 5
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 10:07 pm
Consider getting an Uniterruptable Power Supply (UPS). You can find one for a home PC application for about 50 bucks or so.

My daughter's mother lives in an old house in a very old part of town where the lights dim whenever the clothes dryer or other big appliance comes on. She absolutely has to have a UPS, and has never had problems with the power.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 10:22 pm
Brownouts, spikes, surges, blackouts

http://www.palouse.net/lsc/power.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
Thanks folks!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:50 am
Quote:
Voltage sags, also referred to as brownouts are short decreases in voltage levels. These are the most common of power problems.

Eh, I've thought this to be a theme for a paper about "Electricity History" Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 11:48 am
"Electricity History" = remember that north america is still on 110 volts. when we came to canada many houses had only 60 amp power. in our first appartment our electric range was not able to operate all cooking surfaces and the oven at the same time; the controls only allowed you you to operate about half the elements at the same time to prevent the fuse from blowing ! oh, for the good ol' days ! hbg
0 Replies