cache

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
I'm not to good with computers so sorry if this is a silly question. What exactly is a/the cache and is it possible to empty it? Thanks Bunches! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 451 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Thok

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:50 pm
It is a fast storage buffer in the central processing unit of a computer, browser etc. . Also sometimes called cache memory.
0 Replies

lafftaff

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:00 pm
Thanks, that's good to know Smile. Is it possible to clear it?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:02 pm
Well, which cache do you mean? From your Microsoft Browser for example?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:41 am
As far as I know.. cache memory is something that the computer uses for quick storage of things it's highly probable you'll use.

If you notice when you press the back button on your browser, the page loads almost instantly... that's because a few pages you've just visited stay in the cache.

Another thing the pc stores in it is things you copied to be pasted somewhere else.

As for the emptying part... that I don't know
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Re: cache
lafftaff wrote:
I'm not to good with computers so sorry if this is a silly question. What exactly is a/the cache and is it possible to empty it? Thanks Bunches! Very Happy

A cache is used to speed up data transfer and may be either temporary or permanent. Memory and disk caches are in every computer to speed up instruction execution and data retrieval and updating. These temporary caches serve as staging areas, and their contents are constantly changing.

Browser caches hold popular Web pages for long periods of time, which helps speed up browsing of pages you've visited previously.

That's the basic explanation.

To empty your Internet Exlplorer cache (there usually isn't any particularly good reason to do so), click Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Files.
0 Replies