I generate error reports like crazy

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:57 pm
Almost everytime I click to open a link from a website, I generate an error report and IE shuts down. For example: I went to a friend's website and clicked a link to listen to one of her MP3s and I get a warning asking if I want to send a report to IE or MSN and telling me that IE will shut down. Then it proceeds to shut all windows down. Since this started, I've run virus scans, defragged, checked into my internet priorities, disabled the pop-up blocker, ran a purge of spyware.... nothing is helping.

Any suggestions please?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 768 • Replies: 15
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:02 pm
Alternatively, sometimes I get absolutely nothing when I click on a link.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:30 pm
Sorry I can't help you Littlek, but I'm interested in seeing the responses.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:43 pm
Hi Montana, thanks for bumping the thread up.....
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:47 pm
Run the programs in this thread
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22552 and post the results.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:08 am
No trojans. I have to go buy some diskettes to back up my system - unless It's safe to do that on a section of harddrive.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:26 am
Hi littlek -- There is a place where you can shut down those error reports. I found it yesterday, I'm sorry to say, I have no idea where, but I have the same problems as you. Of course, shutting down the reports won't stop the sudden lapses and the need to turn the computer off and then back on.

I know how maddening this is -- it wrecks my sessions online and is a horror when I'm writing emails. The solution in our family is Mr.P says he can't stand to hear me yell at my computer anymore (oops! Very Happy ) and he's buying me some kind of Apple G4 which is "supposed" to not suffer these same virus attacks.

Doesn't it seem stupid that we buy a computer & all the software yet some lousy TWERP from god-knows-where can screw it all up with a crummy little program?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
Piffka wrote:
Doesn't it seem stupid that we buy a computer & all the software yet some lousy TWERP from god-knows-where can screw it all up with a crummy little program?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Any other product of our daily life - from fridge over car to even a videorecorder (sic!) - which 'acted' in such a way, would be taken off the market.

Try this site, littlek:
Internet Explorer - Errors
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
True, Walter, so true!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:33 am
I'm backing up my whole system now. I'll mess around with that web page when I'm done, thanks Walter!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
yikes. I am so not going to be able to back up the whole system (onto 1.44 MB diskettes). I'm not sure I can get the system data onto the diskettes that I have.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:47 am
ok, so, now how do I reformatt/erase these diskettes that I started to back up onto? And, how do I make a back up without having access to a CD writer?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:57 am
advice from b-in-law: reboot in safe mode and then run spyware. And, he suggests, get a newer version (than 2002) of Norton.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
well the reboot-spyware thing didn't do it....

So, if I go to highjackthis and run the diagnostics, but haven't done a backup before hand, will I be in deep doodoo?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 07:16 pm
help....?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 10:17 pm
ok, it's happening again - more frequently - just now. I find if I re-apply my router info things run more smoothly.

I have a theory that in hot wireless spots like my area (around MIT and Harvard U) there is so much wireless that it clutters the routers. Anyone want to demolish my theory?
0 Replies