Freed Italian Hostage Says Iraq Rebels 'Justified'

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
Quote:
Published on Friday, October 1, 2004 by Reuters
Freed Italian Hostage Says Iraq Rebels 'Justified'

ROME - An Italian aid worker held hostage last month in Iraq said guerrillas there were right to fight U.S.-led forces and their Iraqi "puppet government."

In comments that were bound to annoy Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government, Simona Torretta also called on Rome to withdraw the troops it sent to Iraq to support its U.S. ally.

"I said it before the kidnapping and I repeat it today," she told Corriere della Sera newspaper in an interview published Friday.

"You have to distinguish between terrorism and resistance. The guerrilla war is justified, but I am against the kidnapping of civilians."

Torretta and her Italian colleague Simona Pari, both of them 29, were freed Tuesday, three weeks after being snatched from their Baghdad office. Berlusconi has brushed aside widespread reports that his government paid a ransom of up to $1 million.

Describing the administration of Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi as "a puppet government in the hands of the Americans," Torretta said elections planned for January would have no legitimacy: "During my days in detention ... I came to the conclusion it will take decades to put Iraq back on its feet."

Torretta, who lived in Iraq before, during and after the U.S.-led invasion, said she wanted to return despite her ordeal -- but would not do so as long as U.S. troops were there: "I've got to wait until the end of the U.S. occupation," she said.

She said she did know whether Italy bought her freedom from the kidnappers: "If a ransom was paid then I am very sorry. But I know nothing about it ... I believe that (the kidnappers) were a very political, religious group and that in the end they were convinced that we were not enemies."
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 377 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
One of the two Italian women hostages freed after being held for three weeks in Iraq said Wednesday she missed the country and her Iraqi friends and wanted to return soon.

Aid worker Simona Pari was released Tuesday with her colleague Simona Torretta and two Iraqi colleagues and flown back to a rapturous welcome in Italy.

"I want to send a hello and a big kiss to all the people of Iraq, to all our friends," a smiling Pari told reporters outside her home in Rimini on Italy`s northeastern Adriatic coast.

"I miss the children, the women, all our Iraqi friends and all the Iraqi people a great deal, we know they were close to us at this time," she said.

"I hope to go back to Iraq very soon because it`s a country I really love a lot."

"I am very happy but of course I miss Simona (Torretta) a lot," she said. The two friends were held together after being seized on September 7.

Meanwhile, Italy`s Foreign Minister Franco Frattini insisted Wednesday "absolutely no ransom" had been paid for the release of the two Italian aid workers.

Frattini said in an interview with RAI state radio that Italy had simply used its "great system of contacts" in the Arab world, which had "made the kidnappers understand concretely what they were dealing with: a great country, Italy, loved and esteemed by the Arab world".

source: RAI
0 Replies