low RAM = new CPU. How do I transfer my info/programs?

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
Remember when I posted that I had low RAM, and needed to hear my options? Well, my FI bought me a new CPU! What a wonderful surprise at my door. He's great.

I was told I could go to a best buy and can get a cord that will allow me to transfer info from each computer and this was the easiest way.

True?

Hope I have enough plugs to plug them both in next to one another, and that it is simple.

How will I transfer my email messages from Outlook? Could I do it with the cord hooked up and just hit export/import?

This CPU should have its own programs and stuff on it right? I have no idea what to expect before hooking it up.

Says it is a:

512 MB DDR 3200
128mb AGP8X ATI Radeon 9200SE
CASEFAN
80GB 7200 RPM
ONBOARD
MS WINDOWS XP HOME
Test and Assemble
CDRW DVD COMBO
Intergrated 32-bit PCII Sound chipset
AMD Athlon XP 2600 + (333MHzFSB)
Asus A7V8X-X; Audio/LAN
2 yrs warranty
IDE Cable

Was told to look for a cable that can transfer data at 1.21 gigawatts?

...and I just need to:

"you should have to do is plug it into the NIC on both of your computers. Depending on what version of Windows you are running you might need to go to "My Network Places" and search for "computers near me".

Set up a folder on the recieving computer and share it. Then just drag stuff from your old computer to the folder on your new computer."

Can anyone verify, help more, and/or give more info? Please speak in girlie words, so I don't get confused.

Thanks for your help. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 799 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 12:04 pm
I'm not much of a PC person... but I know with macs you can have a technician do a data transfer from one HD to another. It saves your settings and everything... but costs about $50 I think.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 03:37 pm
Re: low RAM = new CPU. How do I transfer my info/programs?
Quote:
meethinks they were funnin' you about this... check out this exchange from back to the future:
    [color=blue]Marty McFly : So does it run on regular unleaded gasoline? Dr. Emmett Brown : Unfortunately no, it needs something with a little more kick - plutonium. Marty McFly : Plutonium... wait, are you telling me that this sucker is nuclear? Dr. Emmett Brown : No no no, this sucker's electrical, but it requires a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need. Marty McFly : Doc, you don't just walk into a store and buy plutonium... did you rip that off? Dr. Emmett Brown : Shhhhhh. Of course. From a group of Libyan nationalists. They wanted me to build them a bomb, so I took their plutonium and in turn, gave them a shiny bomb-casing filled with used pinball machine parts. Younger Dr. Emmett Brown : [running out of the room] 1.21 gigawatts? 1.21 gigawatts? Great Scott! The only thing powerful enough to generate 1.21 gigowatts of electricity is a bolt of lightning. Marty McFly : [following] What the hell is a gigawatt?[/color]
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
So would a 40GB external highdrive be easier than the cable I'm talking about?

I need more info before I use my pizza money to buy this. Wink
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:49 am
When I got my new system, I transferred everything from the old system to an external harddrive and then to the new system. Programs I installed on the new system fresh.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:00 am
Joahaeyo,

I'm no techie, so anyone who is please correct anything I've got wrong here.

If you know someone techie (or go to a shop) you could get the hard-drive from your old computer fitted into your new one alongside the existing drive, as I think most PCs can handle 2 drives.

When you go into My Computer or similar, you'll see it as another hard-drive (maybe called E: or F: or something) and you can load files from it and never need to copy them across. This will have the added bonus of saving space on the new hard-drive.

I don't think however that you will be able to run programs like MS Office from the old drive without getting someone to mess around with the startup sequence, as the programs make entries in those deep-down Windows files with mysterious names and these are needed to run the progs.

You can change which hard-drive the PC will "boot" from (boot = load up when turned on) and in effect you will be running the entire set-up from your old PC but with the benefits of your new one. You will basically have 2 seperate versions of Windows in one machine. You'll have to make sure that the drivers for the new graphics card etc are installed on the old Windows orr they won't work properly.

Sorry if I've not explained this very clearly. Let me know if you want any clarification. Or probably better to listen to someone who knows more than I!

Good luck anyway.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:24 pm
Re: low RAM = new CPU. How do I transfer my info/programs?
Joahaeyo wrote:
...my FI bought me a new CPU!

Just as an FYI, I'll let you know that CPU does not mean "computer"....it's a particular part in the computer, the Central Processing Unit...e.g. your Pentium chip.

Joahaeyo wrote:
I was told I could go to a best buy and can get a cord that will allow me to transfer info from each computer and this was the easiest way.

True?
"you should have to do is plug it into the NIC on both of your computers. Depending on what version of Windows you are running you might need to go to "My Network Places" and search for "computers near me".

The kind of cable that can go direct from network card (NIC = Network Interface Card) to network card without a hub in between is called a crossover cable. That is the kind of cable your friend is telling you to buy. (There are heaps of other ways to transfer files between PCs...a couple other options are burning your stuff to CD if your old PC has a CD burner, or adding your old hard drive to your new PC as Grand Duke suggested.)

Joahaeyo wrote:

Heeheehee.... Laughing ...yeah, see Region Philbis's Back to the Future dialog...

Joahaeyo wrote:
This CPU should have its own programs and stuff on it right? I have no idea what to expect before hooking it up.

No one here has any idea what to expect before you hook it up, either. Wink The only software you mentioned the new PC has is Windows XP. Whether it already has Outlook or not (it's a component of Microsoft Office) is anybodies guess at this point.

Joahaeyo wrote:
How will I transfer my email messages from Outlook? Could I do it with the cord hooked up and just hit export/import?

Yes, you'll want to export your email to a file on your old PC, transfer it to your new PC somwhow, then import that into an email program on your new PC.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
So would a 40GB external highdrive be easier than the cable I'm talking about?

I need more info before I use my pizza money to buy this. Wink

Yes, using an external hard drive (it doesn't need to be 40GB just to transfer your email over) would probly be easier for you (but more expensive) than setting up a workgroup between the two PCs & using a crossover cable.

Either method would be reasonably easy, however.
0 Replies