One Nation Earth

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 10:36 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
To me, that's a frightening thought, extra medium. The 'one world' idea is nothing new. It is frequently espoused by megalomaniacs who hate anything 'different.' Homogenizing humanity can lead only to regimentation. And, as MichaelAllen has already said, we should celebrate the differences, not try to iron them out. The mind-numbing sameness that would result from such a move would far outweigh any perceived benefits.

cavfancier wrote:
The entire concept sounds strangely Illuminati to me. I would prefer that we move towards more localized diversity, with a willingness to share with others.

[never expected to disagree with these guys]

but the Canadian experience (yoohoo, Cav!) demonstrates quite clearly that major cultural variation can be accommodated within a single efficient
governmental system.

Governments (hence "Nations") are not cultures, they contain cultures, and accord them a uniform way of managing those affairs that would and do in diverse national systems interfere with the autonomy of an minority by demanding its adherence to the culture of the majority.

A world government would be once more removed from the detail of cultural preference, and be less of an impediment to acceptance.

It is a challenge to engage people's loyalties to a common purpose when they are confused with a myriad of relatively arbitrary historic alliances that have long since outlived any semblance of cause.

We all can accept the concept of being passengers on this planet, and enrich the environment of all by bringing our several heritages to the table.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:04 am
Rufio,

Point taken as evidence of how far globalization has already advanced.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:53 pm
BoGoWo,
your point about a multiplicity of cultures being able to exist within a single governmental system is quite valid. Viz. the Roman Empire. And we don't have to go that far back in history. You mentioned Canada. The USA, Australia, New Zealand and a handful of others would also serve as examples of places where a host of different cultures exist in relative harmony under one central governing authority.

In defense of my viewpoint, let me add this:
(1) You are really talking about a different phenomenon, where a group of people have voluntarily (mostly) relocated to a new venue and, because of the inherent benevolence of the government at that venue, continue to flourish without a loss of identity. This is not the same as imposing a one-world order on existing cultures in situ. It reminds me too much of the harm done by Christian missionaries to indigenous cultures throughout the world in the 19th Century.

(2) While I mentioned specificaly the dilution of cultural identity in my post, another -- possibly selfish -- factor to consider is economic. Roughly 80 percent of the world's population lives in what we in the West would consider substandard housing. About 50 percent suffer from some form of malnutrition. Some statistics I remember reading very recently indicate that the United States currently possesses 59 percent of the world's wealth. While I do think that some of this should be spread around, I really wouldn't take kindly to my personal standard of living being significantly lowered in order to get someone on the other side of the world out of a grass hut and into a brick council flat. Selfish? Sure, but I bet most of us really feel that way down deep.

(3) And, finally, there is the matter which Asherman has already brought up -- the bigger the government, the more chance for corruption. And this would have to be the mother of all governments. Even with the absolutely best of intentions, even stipulating that only the most honest, upright and able administrators would govern, the beurocracy required to maintain this behemoth of an administration boggles the mind.

I share the concern of those who abhor the wastefulness of war, famine and pestillence (not to even mention the inherent inhumaneness of these things). I do not share the enthusiasm for a one-world centralized governing body as the solution to these problems. In fact, I view the current emergence of the European Union with some alarm.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
MA, Seems many are on the losing end of the stick, because Bush wants to bring democracy to the world as god's gift to man at whatever it costs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
C.I., I suspect that what Bush really wants to bring to the world is crony capitalism. At present there are too many governments he cannot collude with for profiteering (excluding the Saudi family).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 10:10 pm
But profiteering is not consistent with the message in the bible, and Bush needs the christians to win any election.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
.............In defense of my viewpoint, let me add this:
(1) You are really talking about a different phenomenon, where a group of people have voluntarily (mostly) relocated to a new venue and, because of the inherent benevolence of the government at that venue, continue to flourish without a loss of identity. This is not the same as imposing a one-world order on existing cultures in situ. It reminds me too much of the harm done by Christian missionaries to indigenous cultures throughout the world in the 19th Century.

(2) While I mentioned specificaly the dilution of cultural identity in my post, another -- possibly selfish -- factor to consider is economic. Roughly 80 percent of the world's population lives in what we in the West would consider substandard housing. About 50 percent suffer from some form of malnutrition. Some statistics I remember reading very recently indicate that the United States currently possesses 59 percent of the world's wealth. While I do think that some of this should be spread around, I really wouldn't take kindly to my personal standard of living being significantly lowered in order to get someone on the other side of the world out of a grass hut and into a brick council flat. Selfish? Sure, but I bet most of us really feel that way down deep.

(3) And, finally, there is the matter which Asherman has already brought up -- the bigger the government, the more chance for corruption. And this would have to be the mother of all governments. Even with the absolutely best of intentions, even stipulating that only the most honest, upright and able administrators would govern, the beurocracy required to maintain this behemoth of an administration boggles the mind.

I share the concern of those who abhor the wastefulness of war, famine and pestillence (not to even mention the inherent inhumaneness of these things). I do not share the enthusiasm for a one-world centralized governing body as the solution to these problems. In fact, I view the current emergence of the European Union with some alarm.

To be fair my interest lies in eliminating 'nationalism' which historically has been the source of a similar amount of havoc, abuse, and despair to that created by religious intolerance (for god and country!), and i would not wish to impose anything on any body; but i feel an "Earth" orientation would be a healthy alternative.

However i do believe that willingly abandoning the excesses of the western world to enhance the lifestyles of the third world might just be the only way to ensure the survival of at least a part of our way of life, and avoiding the inevitable clash over "pie share".
[hopefully that part that is worth preserving!
And i personally would get a selfish satisfaction from helping to create an equitable world.]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:19 pm
BoGoWo, Very Happy
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:57 am
Asherman wrote:
1. I disagree that current trends lead inevitably to extinction if unaltered. We don't know where the trend lines will lead, but they almost certainly will not continue ad infinitum. Long before the species commits suicide, Mother Nature will intervene and thin the herd. I strongly suspect that a major world epidemic and/or famine will occur in the not distant future. Reduce human population by a third, and almost all of the trends that disturb folks will be at least mitigated, and may they may vanish entirely for many generations. Alteration of disturbing trends might also happen in less dreadful ways. If our species can discover a clean and inexpensive alternative to energy production, imagine how many of the world's problems would shrink to relative unimportance.

Would you agree that trends are leading to a unified world economy? This is a different question than whether the lack of unification would lead to extinction. Consider NAFTA, The EU, GATT, The WTO, IMF, World Bank, etc. Some of these organizations go beyond mere treaties since some of them actually have a judicial function that forces changes in internal law and trade policy. As far as current trends leading to extinction: Agreed

Asherman wrote:
The danger that War will lead to human extinction I think is currently quite remote. Even during the height of the Cold War when nuclear arsenals and their delivery systems were many times greater than they are today, the extinction of life as a result of spasm nuclear war was low. For the best and most authoritative thinking on that subject see Herman Kahn's "On Thermonuclear War", and "Thinking the Unthinkable". Nuclear devices have been used only twice against human targets, and that at the beginning of the Atomic Era when understanding of the effects of nuclear weapons was almost non-existent. Today the only real danger of an exchange of nuclear weapons is by emerging nations, rogue states, or fanatical terrorists. In each of those cases, the weapons are likely to be small and limited in number. The effects, while locally devastating, would have almost zero effect even regionally. The use of biological agents by rogue states or terrorists actually presents a much larger danger than the spread of nuclear weapons. Unleashing Small Pox again on to the world could easily kill upwards of one third of the entire human population, but only a suicidal action by terrorists is worrisome ... especially now that Saddam is out of the picture.

Agreed, except to say that Saddam was not an immediate problem in the first place. There were, and are, more immediate threats than Saddam was but there is no oil in those regions.

Asherman wrote:
2. As can be seen by my comments above, it is vident that I reject the second proposition (that only the creation of a single world government capable of enforcing world-wide policies designed to make the world safe, secure and peaceful) as being our only hope for escaping extinction.

Agreed

Asherman wrote:
Central Planning has a really terrible track record. The old USSR had central Planning, and it destroyed their empire. Human planners are often wrong, and it should be self-evident why that is the case. Not all relevant information is available to decision-makers, and othes important information isn't recognized until long after it can make a difference. People make mistakes, and when those mistakes are implemented on a world-wide basis the negative effects are potentially much worse than if we just "muddled through". Anyone whose dealt with the political complexities of even a small village can appreciate the difficulties in trying to master truly powerful politics on a world scale. Instead of having a small number of interest groups fighting for supremacy, the numbers of powerful contending forces would have to be balanced. The result of the process wouldn't be the "best" solution, but the solution favored by the most powerful interest group. Of course, that problem already exists at the national level, but if a nation goes wrong there are others that counter-balance it and provide an "escape" hatch if disaster follows. Where would one "escape" a really grand world screw-up if there was only one, all powerful world government? Where do dissenters escape to, if world government turns out to be a tyranny?

One of the solutions is for people who are less powerful to organize now, at this early stage, to represent counter-balancing points of view. Since I see inevitability in the trends (whether or not those trends are to be desired), then tyranny will likely only be avoided if non-tyrannical view-points are brought forth now. Business interests seem to be the driving force behind globalization with government following their lead. Anyone who works for a large corporation would agree that central planning is not ideal. But, that is the direction the world seems nonetheless to be headed. Business planners see the environment, people and government as only factors in their profit/loss equations. Given the nature of what they are doing this is probably not a bad thing: for them. Currently, the business point of view is the one holding sway in the world and, extrapolating into the distant future, that would have the potential to become tyrannical if left unchecked. Indeed, any point of view, left unchecked, would eventually devolve into tyranny.

Asherman wrote:
You say the world government must be, "(de)void of any possibility for corruption". Good luck. So long as humans remain human they will find a means of corrupting any system for personal, or interest group, benefit. Governments are headed by humans, and every human has the capability of doing really terrible things, sometimes with the best of intentions. Humans have been known to seek unlimited personal power, and to dominate all others. How would a world government so completely guarantee that never to happen? The best system I know of is based on the representational democracy established by the United States Constitution. Is it perfect?

This paragraph (if not the entire post) is obviously a reply to Nipok.

In my point of view, since I see globalization as inevitable, the way to ameliorate the possibility toward corruption is to allow diversity of opinion (and policy) on the world stage.

Asherman wrote:
Even when the Chief Executive is faultlessly performing his duties and responsibilities, perhaps half the nation is convinced that he is a blight who must be removed from office in a time of great trial. In our history strong leaders serving in times of crisis are often the target of sizable opposition. There was a serious effort to replace Washington as General of the Revolutionary Army and the accusations against this the best of all our Presidents during his terms in office were almost as bad as those we now hear against President Bush. Lincoln himself expected to be voted out of office, and replaced with the more pacific minded Little Mac, during the Civil War.

Have to take issue with your characterization of our current Chief Executive as "faultlessly performing his duties and responsibilities." I can find a few tiny faults.

Asherman wrote:
World government would, in my opinion be the worst solution possible, to problems that may not amount to a hill of beans in the long run.

While I don't see extinction as the alternative to world government, I do think that world government is coming whether we like it or not. Nor would I characterize it as the worst possible solution since it would eliminate nationalism as one source of conflict in the world. People should not be disengaged from the possibility of world government. Engagement is the way to influence the inevitable final product.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
New York John,

"Would you agree that trends are leading to a unified world economy?" Sure I agree with that statement, in fact it seems that you and I are in general agreement.

Obviously we have differing views on the present administration, and propriety of its policies in the wake of 9/11. Though oil was a minor element in the decision to oust Saddam, I believe there were other far more important justifications for U.S. action there. My views as to those justifications can be found easily in many postings to A2K, if you are interested those posts are easily found.

It isn't difficult to find fault with any person, but when that person sits in the Presidential Chair during periods when the nation is under attack, mistakes and errors are inevitable. No one can have all of the information available, nor the perfect foresight to see all consequences, when making major national decisions under stressful conditions. We all do the best we can, and there is no reason to suppose that the President has any hidden agenda or is pursuing some personal course antithetical to the nations best interest. Is George Bush the same caliber as Washington, Lincoln, FDR or Truman? Not in a pig's eye, but he's risen far above what I would have expected a bit over four years ago.

Though there are many here who regard the President as one of the worst Chief Executives the nation ever had, history doesn't bear that out. We are now in the midst of an election to determine whether the present administration shall continue, or if John Kerry will be the next President. Something close to half of the electorate currently favors one candidate, or the other. If the President were as inept, or pursuing policies not approved of by something like half the electorate, there would be a landslide for Kerry. That doesn't look like its going to happen. My guess is that Bush will be re-elected by a larger margin than in the last Presidential election. Maybe not.

In any case, the problems facing the U.S. in 2005 will probably not change much. Radical Islamic terrorists will still be dedicating their lives to the destruction of the U.S. and Western Civilization. Our soldiers will still be engaged in combat operations in Southwest Asia. The Arab/Israeli conflict will continue to haunt the world. India and Pakistan will still regard one another with nuclear suspicion. Iran and the DPRK will continue to pursue nuclear weaponry. The loss of many American jobs to less expensive foreign labor will continue. Our economy will probably continue to strengthen, but at a slow pace. Our population demographics will be older. The risk of a major world famine and/or epidemic will have increased incrementally. The demand for energy will increase, even as organic fuel resources are depleted. The UN will continue to be ineffective. Pressing problems will arise around the world that no one will be able to do much about.

Whoever is President for the next four years will have to deal with the other branches of government, and they are unlikely to be supportive of all the President's policies ... whatever they are. The new President may get to appoint a new Supreme Court Justice, or two. He will have to continue military operations against our enemiess, and endure the unwanted civilian and military casualties that will inevitably follow what promises to be a very long conflict. Neither can afford to surrender to the terrorists by withdrawing our military, or abandoning our allies. Questions about taxes, social security, and health care will continue to plague the new administration, and there are no magic solutions that eveyone will agree on.

Though I have doubts about Kerry, the nation won't probably suffer irreparable damage. I can, and will support the President with the same fervor I have in the past, whichever man is elected. Will the supporters of Kerry, after all their excessive rhetoric, be able to give their full support to President Bush if he is re-elected? Its far past time for the nation to come together behind our President who dearly needs our support and approval. Will we all agree with his policies, all of the time? Certainly not, nor should we hesitate to make our feelings known. But, even when we disagree with a policy we need to remember that we aren't the one's sitting behind the little desk sign that says "The buck stops here".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
If Bush is re-elected I will dedicate myself (and resourses) to resisting much of his agenda. He is the worst president we have had in many generations, a menace to the country and the world.
Interesting, Ash, how we can disagree so completely on some political matters yet agree as much as we do on philosophical/religious matters.
At the same time Frank Apiso and I disagree on some philosophical/religious matters but I find myself completely in tune with his stated politics.
Life is complex.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
Great topic guys!!! I'll leave my political beliefs out of the debate if possible because I have a strong belief that we are going into the opposite direction under the current system. With that being said, here are my thoughts on the matter.

It is inevitable that we evolve into a one world nation, but this will only be accomplished by a dramatic change in human thinking. There will be some profound change, with the destruction of modernized religion being part of it, when we as humans start to thing of ourselves as species instead of nationalities. Religion, IMO, is the downfall of society which degenerates and chastises people with beliefs that differ from their own. Until these boundaries are removed, we will continue to think in a social and cultural realm with the benefit of the human race being second thought to our "way of life."

Humans will continue to evolve right before our eyes. Modern medicine, the advent of computers and finally the ending of death as we know it will be part of the next millennium. We are very close to the breakthroughs which will change thinking on life as we know it and we are already starting to see the chink in the armour of religion. We currently have the technology the clone humans, in essence, the ability to build spare body parts. THis is just one step in thwarting death and we will take several small steps in the next century to make death a non-reality.

Currently, we are advancing in the bio-mechanical-electrical engineering field at an alarming rate. We can now cure deafness and blindness with the advent of modern medicine co-mixing with other traditional engineering disciplines. This trend will continue until we are able to "backup" our brains on hard drives and our bodies will become nothing more then hosts for our neural system. This isn't science fiction, but a logical step towards human development and evolution. When this is accomplished, religion will cease to exist and borders can then start to be removed.

think about all the death that has been caused by religion over the past 2000 years. The current "war" follows along the same lines. When religion is called out for the fable that it is, we will then start to look at the human population in a different light.

This in itself will not cause a one world nation, it is just a small step needed to complete the transformation. I believe that it will be caused by some transformation of thinking be it from a global catastrophe, or from an alien encounter. If hostile aliens invaded the earth, do you actually think humans would worry about cultural borders? No, it would cause a single focus for destroying borders and acting as a one nation civilization. A major blow to the human population through disease, plague or something similar will also aid in this way of thinking.

As of right now, our culture is not advanced enough to even remotely start a human way of thinking. Our current political system in the US will not allow it either. There have been some changes in the past 10 years which are starting to look at this type of system with none more evident then NAFTA. What this allows the US to do is to profit from third world nations, but it also aids the aforementioned nations by providing much needed jobs. Where there is work, people will start to gain confidence in themselves and make a better life not only for their immediate family, but future generations. Building up third world countries will only help this way of thinking in the long run.

Where does this diatribe lead? I have no idea. I think by the end of this millennium, if humans do not manage to destroy their species, we will evolve into this way of thinking. Getting rid of religion and eliminating death will be the forbearers of a one world nation over a natural course, without the interjection of an unforeseeable change (aliens, plague etc.). We are sowing the seeds right now which will make it possible, but we have to evolve culturally before we even think about the transformation required to create a one nation world.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 11:17 pm
What is it that you believe we humans are going to do in the next 900 years that will lead to the extinction of our species?
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:49 pm
Asherman wrote:
What is it that you believe we humans are going to do in the next 900 years that will lead to the extinction of our species?

Multiply which in turn will drain resources which will inturn allow money to further separate the global upper class from the global lower class.

As our population continues to explode unless we act soon we jeopardize being unprepared to replenish resources that are fixed. Water, Oxygen, Food, Fuel, Energy, among many other needs will be tapped. As that happens, those with money will manage to get by and the rest of the world will suffer. Eventually I think the only outcome would be a world wide revolt of the masses trying to survive.

By this time the progress made in science and technology and space exploration will have been jeopardized and slowed down to work on ways to replenish resources so we will be further unprepared to protect us should a significant size meteor was found to be on a collision course. Not to say we would be hit in the next 900 years but 9000 or 90,000 years is another story.

We may or may not face total extinction but the remnants of our species that inhabit this planet 1000 years from now will not have had the opportunity to allow the current progress in science to continue on its path unabated. We will bring upon ourselves our own demise. It will be because of greed, short sightedness, prejudice, and bigotry that we will not find the strength to overcome the obstacles ahead of us.

One nation under god indivisible with liberty and justice for all. god or no god, the concept is still a core requirement in my mind if we want any chance for our species to survive 90,000 or 90 million years from now.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:02 am
JLNobody wrote:
If Bush is re-elected I will dedicate myself (and resourses) to resisting much of his agenda. He is the worst president we have had in many generations, a menace to the country and the world.
Interesting, Ash, how we can disagree so completely on some political matters yet agree as much as we do on philosophical/religious matters.
At the same time Frank Apiso and I disagree on some philosophical/religious matters but I find myself completely in tune with his stated politics.
Life is complex.

Indeed it is, ole friend! :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:40 am
ONe thing that puzzles me is why some people are so nationalist (or patriotic). Many countries have only existed in their current geographical and demographical shape for a few decades or a few centuries at most.

When you look at the long age of human civilisation (thousands of years) and the way societies have constantly changed shape with war, political union (both voluntary and forced), famines, droughts, floods - that some people think that how it is today is the best way it can be, and that it will not and cannot change - well, I'm at a loss to explain it.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:52 am
Grand Duke wrote:
ONe thing that puzzles me is why some people are so nationalist (or patriotic). Many countries have only existed in their current geographical and demographical shape for a few decades or a few centuries at most.

When you look at the long age of human civilisation (thousands of years) and the way societies have constantly changed shape with war, political union (both voluntary and forced), famines, droughts, floods - that some people think that how it is today is the best way it can be, and that it will not and cannot change - well, I'm at a loss to explain it.

England's Green & Pleasant Land
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
john/nyc wrote:
Grand Duke wrote:

England's Green & Pleasant Land

I'm not patriotic. England (and Great Britain) is where I live. The words are from a hymn with words by William Blake:

Jerusalem
(From 'The Preface' to 'Milton')

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold;
Bring me my arrows of desire;
Bring me my spear; O clouds, unfold!

Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

I was being ironic. It is fairly green in England, but not always pleasant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:45 am
Things will change for the human species, but it will be slow, because most people still believe in some religious' teachings and we have too many living in poverty. That will not change quickly no matter how much we advance in technology or science. As most of us have observed, humans have a capacity to rationalize inconsistencies in religious teachings in order to continue their beliefs. There has always been a need for humans to believe in a creator, and that's not going to change. As for changes in politics, that's happened and is happening as we speak. Look at the EU and its growth during the past decade. We are the new kids on the block, and we will have no control over other continents doing the same. The global economy and politics will comingle in the future, and that will never be reversed.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
Nipok, you say:
"One nation under god indivisible with liberty and justice for all. god or no god, the concept is still a core requirement in my mind if we want any chance for our species to survive 90,000 or 90 million years from now."

Is this as good as "One world under god indivisible with liberty and justice for all...."?
0 Replies