One Nation Earth

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
Will read later, but bookmarking with the opinion that as technology (some destructive) continues to improve, eventually the choice will be one or none.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:46 pm
rufio wrote:
Nipok, no matter how many boundaries you take away from people, they will build more. It's part of human culture to differentiate yourself and identify yourself with a smaller group within a larger one. We do not all have to become socially identical to become socially equal. Even if you take away people's identity with nations, there will still be identity with class, and with race, and with gender - probably even a more intense identity than before, thus worsening the issue on those fronts. We are already living in a global context, whether you acknowledge it or not. Effecting social change comes from manipulating the precendece of various social identities, not by iradicating one and intensifying the others.

I'm afraid you lost the context of my reply entirely. Nowhere did I claim anything socially identical nor depriving anyone their race or gender. My point is that we can maintain our unique heritages and customs and merge as a species not a bunch of countries to provide a better world for all our lineages half a million years from now. Does that mean to lose your individuality because you came from Bermuda or Bangladesh no, not unless you let it happen over the course of generations.

That does not mean we need to make everyone equal. If you work hard you deserve to be compensated. Does that mean that because I am born in a place that offers no chance for a proper education nor running water nor sufficient food that my median quality of life should not be improved when the ability to so globally is not that far out of reach. What is really stopping us? The corruption that permeates every political system on this planet including the greatest democracy this world has ever seen is what really prevents us from reaching out to every corner of the globe in an effort to harmoniously evolve together.

Keep your uniqueness, just give me a united incorruptible single world order that is truly by the people, of the people, for the people, and void of any closed door sessions and I'll take may chances.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm
Asherman wrote:
"-"

Ash, I am most certainly an idealist. Extinction to me is the end of our evolutionary chain. Without forethought and subsequent efforts it is most definitely inevitable that our sun will go nova and our planet will be destroyed. Whether it be virus, plague, war, lack of oxygen, lack of water, lack of sunlight, famine, or a meteor that comes first really does not matter. If we want to avoid every one of these catastrophes and many others we must learn to bond as a species and a planet.

Can I preach what I believe, sure.

Do I believe we can do what I preach …?
To that end I find much sorrow in being so strongly convicted
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm
"...give me a united incorruptible single world order that is truly by the people, of the people, for the people, and void of any closed door sessions..."

... and what would that world order be that was "united", "incorruptible", and without "closed door sessions"? How would it come into existence, and how would you insure that human-beings would not be "corruptible"? Actually, closed door sessions are sometimes the best way to get anything done. It probably would have been impossible to have forged the U.S. Constitution if the sessions had not been closed and the participants sworn to secrecy.

So far as I'm concerned there is no better form of government than that we have today in the United States. I doubt than any sizable number of Americans would trade our system for any other. For any American President, Senator, Congressman, Court Justice, or soldier not to defend the Constitution would be a violation of trust and sacred oath. Can you imagine other nations giving up their own governments to adopt the U.S. Constitution? The U.N. has shown no more ability to effectively manage world affairs than the League of Nations.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm
No, no, you don't understand. Nationality, you say, is a reason people fight each other. Sure it is. And so is religion, race, gender, and class. These are all boundaries people put between themselves, and ways that they identify themselves. If you take away nationality, people will identify more strongly with their gender, race, class, etc. This in turn causes more disharmony and the possibility of more violence. It's possible to draw a line, but not have an "us-versus-them" attitude about it. It's impossible not to draw a line somewhere.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:27 pm
Asherman wrote:
"...give me a united incorruptible single world order that is truly by the people, of the people, for the people, and void of any closed door sessions..."

... and what would that world order be that was "united", "incorruptible", and without "closed door sessions"? How would it come into existence, and how would you insure that human-beings would not be "corruptible"? Actually, closed door sessions are sometimes the best way to get anything done. It probably would have been impossible to have forged the U.S. Constitution if the sessions had not been closed and the participants sworn to secrecy.

So far as I'm concerned there is no better form of government than that we have today in the United States. I doubt than any sizable number of Americans would trade our system for any other. For any American President, Senator, Congressman, Court Justice, or soldier not to defend the Constitution would be a violation of trust and sacred oath. Can you imagine other nations giving up their own governments to adopt the U.S. Constitution? The U.N. has shown no more ability to effectively manage world affairs than the League of Nations.

I agree. Our democracy is the closest thing our planet has seen to a form of government that models the best ideals one might hope for but that does not mean it can not evolve to become even better. It has hole and gaps filled by lobbyists and money. Is the UN any better no.

Does that mean we should (in our very limited existence as a species capable of putting laws onto paper) accept what we have now as the best we can strive for. I think not. I think we should all strive to see something better evolve. (but again like you I pessimistically don't see it happening)

What we need to do is accept as a society that there are smart people and not so smart people. Lets take the top 1 percent of the entire world population and create a world arbitration council. A partially executive, partially legislative, and partially judicial body that can only carry an equal number of votes to the number of members that make it up. Next to this you have a single house of representatives without a senate made up of one representative for up to every 10,000 that live in proximity to each other. Laws can be adjusted to fit any group of consecutive groups of up to 10,000 people so people in similar locations could agree to abide by a certain subset of regulations pertinent to them. The more globally a certain agreement is made the more widespread effect that law has but freedom of choice could be entirely maintained.

This means that optionally people could move to areas where their beliefs matches the locality in an instance where their current locality did not fit their beliefs. Or they could work to change the beliefs of the their locality. Changes to local code would need to be backed by the localities next to each group as well as the global group but designed properly a new world constitution could provide the appropriate numbers of checks and balances to promote world harmony without sacrificing personal freedoms and individuality.

The world arbitration council would be constantly changing containing people from all age groups on-line to discuss daily the world's events. Every 10,000 people, 100,000 people, million people etc. etc. could likewise be on-line to discuss world events and localized political issues. I don't need a lobbyist, a senator, a congressman, a judge, or committee chairperson to tell me how to think or vote. What we have now evolved to be what it is because of technical limitations. 1000 years from now if we try we could educate the global population to accept technology and everyone can benefit and we could create a world government void of corruption. Any good that could come from a closed door meeting is far outweighed by the bad that could come from it and so I will be the first to stand up and sacrifice my freedom to closed door political meetings. They have no place in the future of our species 2 millions years from now.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:34 pm
Rufio, I agree. You are referring to what Freud called "The narcissism of small differences."
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 01:38 am
Nipok:

I understand your admiration for your country, but US legal and constitutional system is not the only that provides individual freedom in a democratic context.
I am European and I know the constitutional system of countries like German, Netherland, Sweden, Portugal, Norway and some others, who provide, not only in their constitutions but also in ordinary laws, the guarantees of individual freedom with an perhaps larger extension that US.
I must also remind you that in these countries racial or religious conflicts have a very reduced expression, and women have total legal equality, not only as citizens but specially in the family legislation.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
val wrote:
Nipok:

I understand your admiration for your country, but US legal and constitutional system is not the only that provides individual freedom in a democratic context.
I am European and I know the constitutional system of countries like German, Netherland, Sweden, Portugal, Norway and some others, who provide, not only in their constitutions but also in ordinary laws, the guarantees of individual freedom with an perhaps larger extension that US.
I must also remind you that in these countries racial or religious conflicts have a very reduced expression, and women have total legal equality, not only as citizens but specially in the family legislation.

Fair enough. I've been to every west Europrean country's capital except Warsaw, Prague, and Madrid but spending a few days in each I could not guage how evolved their constitution is. My overall point remains the same although I may retract the statement that the US is the most evolved and replace the concept with "taking the best ideals from all the worlds most evolved constitutions." And yes, us yanks do enjoy a level of nationalism just as strong as each EU member but that does not mean that 1000 years from now my lineage could not be politically managed equals by a world government and still retain some unique nationalism as part of heritiage and culture.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:27 am
Nipok, in re. "Lets take the top 1 percent of the entire world population (speaking of smart people) and create a world arbitration council. A partially executive, partially legislative, and partially judicial body that can only carry an equal number of votes to the number of members that make it up."

Have you ever had any association with MENSA? If your experiences mirror my own, then you probably wouldn't be suggesting letting us "bright" people within a hundred miles of a political policy council. Often those smarter than the norm folks can not tie their own shoelaces. The arrogance and paternalism is stifling, and with really very little reason. Folks with efficient brains are just as lazy, and inclined towards selfish criminal behavior as the bottom percentiles of the curve. Even worse, these cohort (and an ill-defined one at that) is probably the most opinionated group on the planet. Just try getting a compromise, the very essence of good government, in a room filled with bright people all convinced that their idea, no matter how wacky, is the best one.

I thought that in a group like MENSA I would finally find a group of people who were comfortable and nice to be around. Boy, was I disappointed. Some of the most effective policy and decision makers I'm familiar with weren't great thinkers, but they did have a wonderful ability to understand the dynamics of human interaction. Harry Truman wasn't probably as bright as Jefferson, but one Truman, in my estimation, was worth a carload of Jeffersons.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
As always, Asherman, it is a pleasure to read your work. Welcome to A2K Nipok! You've made some brilliant points as well.

As I posted earlier, I am in the one or none club, believing that we are currently heading towards a One Nation Earth, but believing we are heading for extinction faster. We must either slow the rate of one, or accelerate the other if we wish to survive (of course I refer to the future of the species, not us).

I agree with the others that it is petty lines in the sand, differences in religious beliefs, etc. that currently take up our time and resources. I also agree that these preferences are not going to go away in time to save our species, if ever. History leaves little doubt that humankind will forever bicker over petty things. There isn't time to list all of the individual conflicts, let alone to solve them. I don't believe there is necessarily a need to either. Instead, I believe we need a more sweeping solution that encompasses the real problem with them all. What is the common denominator?

Violent intolerance.

Remove that, and you've removed the danger in virtually all of the problems that separate us.

If I am correct, and violent intolerance is the source of most of the problems keeping humankind from evolving into a global civilization that takes care of everyone; than the solution is equally simple. Simple in theory, but will take an iron will and a very long time to achieve.

Intolerance for Violence.

From top to bottom and across the board we must take steps to eradicate this phenomenon from humanity. Starting right here at home; we should enact laws that demonstrate and enforce a zero tolerance for violent crime. Murderers, rapists, molesters, wife beaters and even the common bully need to be dealt with severely enough that they change their ways or be eliminated from the gene pool permanently.

IMHO, 95-99% or more of the people of this planet would never, could never, be guilty of the intentional slaughter of innocents. Whatever percentage is left, needs to be dealt with; with extreme prejudice, consistently, until violent crime, at any level, becomes a rare phenomena.

I realize many idealists will not be able to reconcile the difference between random violence and the systematic violence I propose as a solution to it. No worries. These people are far too principled (downright decent, really) to violently oppose the solution anyway.

It is my opinion that violence is only justified to prevent violence. There is no more evil person than he who strikes the first blow. He who strikes the first blow, regardless of color, religion, ideology, etc, etc, etc, is a cancer on the human race and should (must?) be treated accordingly.

Of course that's just my opinion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:38 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
As always, Asherman, it is a pleasure to read your work. Welcome to A2K Nipok! You've made some brilliant points as well.

As I posted earlier, I am in the one or none club, believing that we are currently heading towards a One Nation Earth, but believing we are heading for extinction faster. We must either slow the rate of one, or accelerate the other if we wish to survive (of course I refer to the future of the species, not us).

I agree with the others that it is petty lines in the sand, differences in religious beliefs, etc. that currently take up our time and resources. I also agree that these preferences are not going to go away in time to save our species, if ever. History leaves little doubt that humankind will forever bicker over petty things. There isn't time to list all of the individual conflicts, let alone to solve them. I don't believe there is necessarily a need to either. Instead, I believe we need a more sweeping solution that encompasses the real problem with them all. What is the common denominator?

Violent intolerance.

Remove that, and you've removed the danger in virtually all of the problems that separate us.

If I am correct, and violent intolerance is the source of most of the problems keeping humankind from evolving into a global civilization that takes care of everyone; than the solution is equally simple. Simple in theory, but will take an iron will and a very long time to achieve.

Intolerance for Violence.

From top to bottom and across the board we must take steps to eradicate this phenomenon from humanity. Starting right here at home; we should enact laws that demonstrate and enforce a zero tolerance for violent crime. Murderers, rapists, molesters, wife beaters and even the common bully need to be dealt with severely enough that they change their ways or be eliminated from the gene pool permanently.

IMHO, 95-99% or more of the people of this planet would never, could never, be guilty of the intentional slaughter of innocents. Whatever percentage is left, needs to be dealt with; with extreme prejudice, consistently, until violent crime, at any level, becomes a rare phenomena.

I realize many idealists will not be able to reconcile the difference between random violence and the systematic violence I propose as a solution to it. No worries. These people are far too principled (downright decent, really) to violently oppose the solution anyway.

It is my opinion that violence is only justified to prevent violence. There is no more evil person than he who strikes the first blow. He who strikes the first blow, regardless of color, religion, ideology, etc, etc, etc, is a cancer on the human race and should (must?) be treated accordingly.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Bill...

...this has got to be the best post you've ever offered...and you've offered many good ones.

I like what you said...and I like the way you said it.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:53 am
Asherman wrote:
Nipok, in re. "Lets take the top 1 percent of the entire world population (speaking of smart people) and create a world arbitration council. A partially executive, partially legislative, and partially judicial body that can only carry an equal number of votes to the number of members that make it up."

Have you ever had any association with MENSA? If your experiences mirror my own, then you probably wouldn't be suggesting letting us "bright" people within a hundred miles of a political policy council. Often those smarter than the norm folks can not tie their own shoelaces. The arrogance and paternalism is stifling, and with really very little reason. Folks with efficient brains are just as lazy, and inclined towards selfish criminal behavior as the bottom percentiles of the curve. Even worse, these cohort (and an ill-defined one at that) is probably the most opinionated group on the planet. Just try getting a compromise, the very essence of good government, in a room filled with bright people all convinced that their idea, no matter how wacky, is the best one.

I thought that in a group like MENSA I would finally find a group of people who were comfortable and nice to be around. Boy, was I disappointed. Some of the most effective policy and decision makers I'm familiar with weren't great thinkers, but they did have a wonderful ability to understand the dynamics of human interaction. Harry Truman wasn't probably as bright as Jefferson, but one Truman, in my estimation, was worth a carload of Jeffersons.

That's why they would carry no more voting power than any other citizen. Every citizen receives equal representation and equal ability to monitor and voice out on any topic or discussion of interest. The WAC would not have any final say on any matter but would be a tool that the House of Representatives could work with to find solutions and compromises. A new world order could not be formed without many many compromises. I am also not talking about waking up one Tuesday and finding the ball rolling forward. I doubt our species has the strength to put aside our differences and work together but if by some miracle we did find this strength, the road ahead of us would be long, uphill, and full of pot holes.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 12:38 pm
I'm still far from convinced that our species is on the road to perdition and extinction. War isn't really the threat that it was a couple of decades ago, and it may be even less of a threat in the future. The threats of famine and disease are the most likely major problems we may face in the next, say hundred years, but neither is likely to cause human extinction. Global warming and cooling are almost certainly affected by human behavior, but they are natural cycles and are unlikely to cause the extinction of Homo Sap. The most probable cause of extinction is probably being hit by a large astroid like that which did in the dinosaurs.

I have grave reservations about homogenization of human-kind. Natural variation in our biology and social structures seems to me a "good" thing. However, modern transportation and communications systems are replacing regional variation with something like world-wide systems. People have access to goods from all over the planet, and so their expectations are quite different from those a few hundred years ago. Almost instantaneous communications is a paradigm shift of major proportions. American individualism, materialism and notions about what is proper dominates the world's airwaves. American ads raise the demand for technology like automobiles, refrigerators, cosmetics, medicine. American ideas about the value of individuals has altered forever the expectations of even the most remote and controlled societies. Where can one go today and escape the booming sound of American popular music, or the ever present cell phone that can do everything but the dinner dishes? The effects of an emerging world culture are greatly desired, I think, by most private individuals, but is terribly threatening to existing power elites.

Those trends have been picking up steam for over fifty years, and I see no sign of slowing yet. Personally, I find much of the emerging world-culture repugnant, but then no one asked for my input. The trends are driven by the masses, if they like Rap then we will have Rap. The desire for automobiles in the PRC is already putting great strain on world resources, and that trend is just taking off ... wait until most Chinese demand a second car. Automobile production in China, a place that still uses high-sulphur coal for much of its energy production, has virtually no smog requirements. Imagine another 80,000,000 cars on the planet spewing out noxious gasses. Anyone trying to stop, or significantly alter that trend in the PRC has no chance at all.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:23 pm
Asherman wrote:
I'm still far from convinced that our species is on the road to perdition and extinction. War isn't really the threat that it was a couple of decades ago, and it may be even less of a threat in the future. The threats of famine and disease are the most likely major problems we may face in the next, say hundred years, but neither is likely to cause human extinction. Global warming and cooling are almost certainly affected by human behavior, but they are natural cycles and are unlikely to cause the extinction of Homo Sap. The most probable cause of extinction is probably being hit by a large astroid like that which did in the dinosaurs.

I have grave reservations about homogenization of human-kind. Natural variation in our biology and social structures seems to me a "good" thing. However, modern transportation and communications systems are replacing regional variation with something like world-wide systems. People have access to goods from all over the planet, and so their expectations are quite different from those a few hundred years ago. Almost instantaneous communications is a paradigm shift of major proportions. American individualism, materialism and notions about what is proper dominates the world's airwaves. American ads raise the demand for technology like automobiles, refrigerators, cosmetics, medicine. American ideas about the value of individuals has altered forever the expectations of even the most remote and controlled societies. Where can one go today and escape the booming sound of American popular music, or the ever present cell phone that can do everything but the dinner dishes? The effects of an emerging world culture are greatly desired, I think, by most private individuals, but is terribly threatening to existing power elites.

Those trends have been picking up steam for over fifty years, and I see no sign of slowing yet. Personally, I find much of the emerging world-culture repugnant, but then no one asked for my input. The trends are driven by the masses, if they like Rap then we will have Rap. The desire for automobiles in the PRC is already putting great strain on world resources, and that trend is just taking off ... wait until most Chinese demand a second car. Automobile production in China, a place that still uses high-sulphur coal for much of its energy production, has virtually no smog requirements. Imagine another 80,000,000 cars on the planet spewing out noxious gasses. Anyone trying to stop, or significantly alter that trend in the PRC has no chance at all.

I guess to your point I would agree that extinction of the entire species while the planet is still habitable is unlikely. But 20 billion or 40 billion people without a centralized capability to appropriately allocate resources will not provide us with an increased median global quality of life in 200 years. What happens in the next 200 years may very well dictate the path we end up on and I feel strongly that if we do not significantly adjust our very localized nature towards a more global concern for the survival of our species the survival will be more dismal than enjoyable. To my point, our planet will expire some day when our sun goes nova so I stick to my point that for us to escape extinction as a species it is in our best interest to begin to work together on all fronts. And since I believe that my soul will return to this planet when I die to live again the better we make the future for our children the better we make it for ourselves.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:49 pm
Asherman, you stated that no on asked for your input… Let me be very clear here. I hereby ask for your input on every subject you encounter. Smile

Nipok, our planet will have long since been done sustaining any life long before our sun goes Nova, don't worry about that. :wink:

As for problems we may face in the next 100 to 200 years; I urge everyone to consider man's progress on developing ways to kill each other in the last 100 years. Now look at the speed technology is accelerating, not incrementally but exponentially. The fabled extinction causing "Big Gun" may be right around the corner. Our humanity is hopelessly overmatched in a race against technology and I fear we may have to be very, very lucky for a spell to survive as a species. Idea
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
rufio wrote:
The global economuy has already expanded without homogenizing everyone. It's had some interesting effects on places, but the only things its really homogenized are the big cities like NY, which are effectively cosmopolitan (meaning that they are all the same because they have a little bit of everyone, not that everyone in them is all the same). America is one big country, but people living in different parts of it are still very different. Even in much smaller countries that you would expect to be more tightly knit, this is true. Think about how many empires have tried and failed to colonize everyone to their way of thinking. It'll never happen.

Would you agree that: while cultures have not homoginized, economies have done so?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 03:51 pm
If you mean the methods of economics in different parts of the world, sure. But nowadays, the economy is more of a global thing, as currencies are getting more and more standardized, and so forth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
That little piece of plastic we use as cash in most places around this globe confirms rufio's opinion about currencies getting more standardized. Most things in life follows the money.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:31 pm
Anyway, Asherman (just got around to reading that post, heh), what's "American" anymore? We all drive Japanese cars, listen to European pop music, our kids watch Japanese cartoons, etc. All of that is getting ciculated around just as much as the "American" stuff (and what's that? Jazz?). It's not "American" or "Japanese" culture, anymore - it's world pop culture icons. And pop culture icons don't really define a cultural environment.

CI - I was actually thinking of the Euro, but that's a good example too.
0 Replies