Frisky Snails....oh the Drama

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:59 pm
A few months ago in a nearby pet store I decided..hey, those look like great ones, Ill take two! All has been well, till now.
Okay..it was observed that yes, they are pretty active lately, and pretty much sucking face...but, I thought it was more of "Ill clean your shell if you'll clean mine". Its not.
Okay...heres how it happened.
Bought a new tank, this one just isnt working well for me and I needed to upgrade. Funny, these lovely snails cleaned the place up fabulously but, the last couple weeks....they've obviously had other things they've been doing cuz, its a mess. So, I was filling up the new tank, taking out stuff from old, and I notice what looks like...I dont know, half a fish maybe? Quick head count. Humm..all the fish are here. Closer inspection. Honeycomb like pod thing...oh boy...lots of eggs. But, from who? Since Ive had the rest of the fish for a while, my first thought was those new snails...dangit all what have they been doing anyway??? So, web search for snail species, find out what I have, find out about reproduction basically eggs and embryology....figures...I killed these by them being in the water. Well, that takes care of that. No worries.
Donning a rubber glove to remove said dead babies, I find that the hood of my tank has large masses of eggs hanging out up there where you just cant see it unless you look. Its just creepy.
And how frisky can snails be anyway???
Well, back to the drawing board...lets get lots of info and be prepared...Ive now learned much more than I ever wanted about this...and can I tell you that for the last hour Ive been watching the poor female all curled up with this big old penis groping at her.
TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI
When will he stop the madness??? Should I drape them for privacy? What in the world am I going to do with hundreds of snails? Is this a sign that I get to keep the old aquarium for at least a few more months? Do you think I should seperate them so she gets some rest or let them live it up like the teenagers they are? Is my heat too high...they arent supposed to do this in winter temps.....
Im just all drama today....its nuts!
And just in case you want to know what Im looking at..heres some lovely reproduction stuff...including mounting and sheathing not apparent and eggs...my day...so lovely.

Applesnail Reproduction

BTW...thanks for listening Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,759 • Replies: 63
No top replies

pueo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:02 pm
watching snails mate quinn? Shocked

must be a slow day :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:05 pm
You know..I have better things to do...thats my whole point...and now I know what they're doing when I glance over for some calming effects....

sniff

its so unfair, Ive been scarred for life I think
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:20 pm
Wwwwoooowwwww, that's cool Q.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:23 pm
Maybe tomorrow Ill think its cool..tonight its just...wierd.
Want some snails..I should have a couple hundered extra shortly.
Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:32 pm
haha, well...... how does one take care of snails? And, how can you tell the boys from the girls? Maybe you can call the pet store tomorrow and see if they want some for free.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:38 pm
Ohhh...humm..I could sell them to the pet store maybe?

They're pretty easy to take care of...plop..good.
Well, unless you're lucky enough to get a frisky pair I suppose. Rolling Eyes
The shape of the shell can sometimes tell them apart, and sex organs can give ya a clue too <see above referenced reproduction> but, be forewarned..its graphic...lol And, sometimes they are hermaphroditic...no need for a partner. They are pretty interesting critters.
Found out that vegetables is a good thing for them, and having live plants in your tank could be bad if you let them at them, they could be gone in days.
amazing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:41 pm
hermaphroditic - they sound dangerous, I mean, would they just fill the tank up with babies if you let them?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:44 pm
suggestion:

http://www.applesnail.net/
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:45 pm
click on consumption, good recipes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:46 pm
another suggestion:

recipes

Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:47 pm
aha! Didn't see the recipes on the Pueo link.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:17 pm
Thats where I spent a few hours this evening...I saw the recipies..its a thought Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:32 pm
It is? Blech.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 09:20 am
Okay, perhaps not for me either but, still...its an option.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:40 am
Shocked
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:18 am
Confused
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:26 am
Oooh, snails in love.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:47 am
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "slow as a snail."
Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 01:48 pm
That was SOOOOOOOOO much more than I wanted to know about lerve snails!

You may have to separate them! Two aquaria? Side by side? Star-crossed lervers?
0 Replies