Golf legend Arnold Palmer dead at 87

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:21 pm
Arnold Palmer, a huge part of the golf scene for many years, has left his earthly existence at the age of 87. His death is said to be due to complications from heart problems.

Born in September of 1929 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania he was a familiar face to many both on and off the golf course. Among his many achievements and awards through the years, were 4 Masters Tournaments wins
3 PGA Championship wins, the PGA Tour Lifetime Achievement Award in 1998, The Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004 and the Congressional Gold Medal in 2009.

www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/17639539/arnold-palmer-dies-87
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 04:27 am
@Sturgis,
I am not a fan of the sport, but his name is synonymous with it. It's a name like Pele or Babe Ruth or Wayne Gretzky.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 04:35 am
Never heard a negative word about this man. He played good golf, too.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 04:25 pm
@Sturgis,
Hi, Sturgis.

I was thirteen when we moved back to Los Angeles and my father and uncle taught golf to my cousin and me. Not the full course, but not miniature golf, a shortened course, at Rancho. She hated it, I loved it. Anyway, my dad and I became part of Arnie's Army at our local golf course, Rancho Park. Those were fairly early days for him too. There were stands at some of the last holes, and crowds crowding.

Have long liked the man.

Rest in Peace, Arnie.

I see I can't copy the link, grr @mac. Anyway, that must have been in '61 that we followed him around the course, I gather his first time there, but I'd been to other tournaments earlier.. He might have been there earlier, but wiki doesn't say so, and I forget exactly when my father and I went to some actual tournaments.

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 05:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
http://rancho.lagolfclubs.com/clubs/NewHome.cfm/ClubID/29/Section/News/messid/546

ah ha, nabbed it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 05:29 pm
RIP Mr. Palmer.

0 Replies