What The Heck Is THIS? Is It New Upgrades?

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
Yesterday I was trying to fix a virus / search takeover by Findwhatevernow and when I went to My Computer\Windows I had 19 new folders with blue titles rather than black. The folder names alls start with $NtUninstallKB8..... Clicking on a folder gives me more blue titled folders within each main folder, one of which includes spUninst, with the other items being various Microsoft items. The first new folder appears to deal with FrontPageadmin and extensions. The second has an spUninst and only one item named Cryptui.dll. The third spuninst + one item called Netbt System File. Etc.

I am set up for automatic downloads to be installed automatically, so thought it was the new Microsoft SP upgrades, but not sure why it came in this way and is making me install everything myself - Which I am assuming is the case since they are all blue. When I checked Properties it says the files were created Dec. 2003. That is the same time I had to reinstall my OS after a crash last year.

So here's my Q's:

Do I have to install each of these items and how?

Are the upgrades for everyone else dated as Dec. 2003 or are they automatically taking on the date of your OS install?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 692 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Monger

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:27 am
You don't need to do anything at all with those $NtUninstallKB... or $NtServicePackUninstall$ folders. (In fact, if you didn't have Windows set up to view hidden files you'd never have seen them.)

The blue color text, I believe, means they're compressed folders. As for what's in them, as the folder names imply they are files which allow you to individually uninstall Windows updates. However, if you ever have a need to uninstall a Windows update, you still shouldn't mess with those folders....it can be done from Add\Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:38 am
Oh, Thanks Monger. I forgot I had made hidden folders visible yesterday so I could find some of those yucky leech folders that invaded.

Will go make them hidden again.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
No problemo. Smile
0 Replies