The Greatest Baseball Player You Saw in Person

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:48 am
Many years ago, I was having lunch with my father. I asked him who was the greatest baseball player he'd ever seen. His response: Babe Ruth. "You saw the Babe?!?" I responded, eyes wide with awe.

So now I'm asking a2kers the same question. This is not intended to elicit arguments over who was better than whom. I simply want to know which baseball player you saw with your own two eyes. And what was it like?

BTW, the second-greatest player my father saw was Ty Cobb. A mean SOB, but a hell of a hitter (according to my father).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,159 • Replies: 23
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
Well, I saw Willie Mays and I saw Pete Rose. I prefer Willie.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:28 am
1963 game-Senators Yankees. Don Zimmer(The Gerbil) was playing third base. Whitey pitched to Yogi Berra...or it might have been Elston Howard. Mantle and Maris in the outfield. Bobby Richardson and Tony Kubek in the infield

"Look at him (Bobby Richardson). He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't chew, he doesn't stay out late and he still can't hit .250." - Manager Casey Stengel
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:02 am
Cecil Cooper when he played for the PawSox.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:10 am
I saw Satchel Paige in an exhibition thing many, many years ago at Wrigley Field in Chicago. Of course, he was about 127 years old then and threw only a few pitches but...I saw him!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:12 am
Cecil was a wonderful character. I think I saw him with the Brewers...not sure

eoe-Satch said something that became famous and I can't rmember what it was....darn
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:15 am
Something like, "don't look back, it may catch up with you" or something like that. It was simple but profound.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:57 am
That's tough, I've seen most great American League players who have played within the last 10-15 years or so.

The best player I've probably seen, and by I mean dominating, is either Pedro Martinez or Roger Clemens.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:02 am
can't argue with that
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:12 pm
I'm young so my choices are limited. My possibilties are Sosa, Sandberg, Grace, Rolen, Bagwell, and Maddux.

I'd say Maddux.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:49 pm
panzade wrote:
Satch said something that became famous and I can't rmember what it was....darn

here it is:
"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

here's another:
"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:59 am
Edgar, I prefer Willie, too.

Panzade, Richardson't lifetime batting average was .266. Stengel must have been talking about him in an off year. I saw many games with Mantle, Maris, Berra, Ford, etc.

CK, Interesting choice, wonderful player.

eoe, Satchel Paige was ageless. By the time he got to the major leagues, he probably was 127. You were fortunate to see him. And thanks for providing the quotes.

Slappy, If you're looking for dominating pitchers, I certainly agree with your choice of Martinez and Clemens. I would have loved to have seen Koufax in person, but the Dodgers were in LA, and I was not inclined to travel that far to see a pitcher. My father mentioned that he saw Walter Johnson pitch. I would have loved to see him too. Just a bit before my time.

Child, Maddux, another outstanding pitcher.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:47 am
Stangel never let facts get in the way of his sense of humour.
eoe-good quotes
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 12:23 pm
Greats:

I once saw Bob Gibson pitch a shot-out in Busch Stadium, but I was on the right field bleachers.

I saw Luis Tiant pitch for the Mexico City Tigres, before he migrated to MLB.

Not so greats:

I played a lot of frontón with Frank Campos, formerly of the Washington Senators, who was a friend of my dad's.

And I actually pitched an opening game ball to Miguel Ojeda, who plays now for the San Diego Padres. It was a strike and the audience clapped Smile. Ojeda told me: "you have a nice little change". I thought I had thrown a fastball.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 12:29 pm
Jim Palmer, pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles. 4 time 20 game winner...Cy Young award...and he is SO good looking. OMG. I used to love the underwear ads he used to do for Hanes several years ago.

The guy has an ego that just won't quit and his TV commentary is annoying at times but he's still (somewhat) hot for a 60 year old guy. LOL
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:25 pm
The VP of Advertising for an agency I worked for back in the 80's SWORE that she slept with him when he flew in for a quck ad junket. It wasn't so farfetched. She was the type who'd sleep with anyone. On a moment's notice.

She said he was good.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
thanks for sharing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:46 pm
I thought doglover would appreciate that little tidbit. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
You're darn tootin Shocked
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:04 am
Fbaezer, I'm impressed, first of all, that you were able to get the ball over the plate. Second, I consider you fortunate to have seen Gibson in person. I believe I saw Tiant, but I'm not sure.

Doglover, I remember Jim Palmer from the underwear ads. Glad to hear he did well in and out of the his briefs.

I met Mantle and Ford--at the bar and grill of a friend's parents. I was of the age when girls giggled a lot. And that's what I did. I giggled. Barely got out a hello. In fact, I didn't get out a hello. However, this meeting went better than the time I met Paul Newman. I was incapable of making any sound--giggling or otherwise. Struck dumb, I was. Not an athlete, but I thought I throw it in anyway.
0 Replies