THINGS I DO .. with a little help from my critter/s..

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:22 am
My 3 cats either help, participate, or obstruct many of the everyday things I do ... They like to join in!
For example:
*I dig in the garden & immediately one of them (at least) arrives to sniff in the hole ... "What's happening here?"
I put blood & bone on the dug-over area & right away THE CULPRIT CAT tries to eat it faster than I can dig it into the soil! Rolling Eyes
* I watch television, or a video, & 3 cats join me on the couches - "This looks like fun!"
*I try cooking chicken soup, or a roasting a chicken & see that this is a 4-way thing! "Yum, when is dinner ready? Smells good!!!"
* Right now I'm trying to type this with cat No 2 on my lap, trying to distract me. What is it with cats & computers? Why can't they resist you while you're trying to concentrate?
* I go to the toilet at 3 am, only to find that I have company. Someone furry under my feet as I go back to bed.

These are just a few examples. I could go on & on .... They are EVERYWHERE I go! Very Happy

SO:
Which of your activities do your cat/s or dog/s, (or whatever your pet) participate in with you?
Which do they like best?
Why do you think they do it?
What's in it for them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,329 • Replies: 48
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 03:20 am
My cats? Er - anything I will let them participate in!

Reading, chatting with friends, cooking, cleaning - as long as it doesn't involve vacuum cleaner - unpacking shopping, computing, balcony gardening, making the bed, rearranging furniture (good rides), going to the loo, meditating, listening to music, dancing, working, being on the phone.

Their favourite is probably television - because they can both sit on me at the same time. They are sad because I have a new computer station and they can no longer sit on the computer/computer desk.

They run when I have a dnner party or a number of people over at the same time, though.

They also love it when I play with them.

why do they do it? They are curious - loving - like to know all about everything - like to play...
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 03:23 am
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods. They have never forgotten this." - - - Anonymous
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:31 am
My cat demands to join me in the bathroom, eats at the kitchen table with me to keep my company, sleeps on my belly to keep me warm, helps run up my debt, helps to guard the house, he even helps entertain friends during dinner parties.

My dog performs most of the above duties, but also helps me excersize while walking her and helps to clean the dishes.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:41 am
Dogs cleaning dishes is the best labor saving device they work great and are consistant. Cats always helping us to remember that we humans are not the superior animal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:18 am
dogs and dishes. the perfect yin yang.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:13 pm
Our cats love to watch TV probably for the same reason dlowan's do. They help cleaning the floor. They make nice patterns on the windows with their noses. Mysan is always entertaining guests. Nisse sees to it that the vacuum cleaner has to be used on a regular basis. Also, he loves to make us move the furniture by throwing his toys under it. They keep me warm in bed when BigDice is not home. They help me eat my yoghurt every morning.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:27 pm
I must admit I do most things with supervision. (except the vacuuming!)

Although Possum is not such a fanatic for chicken as a previous cat, just about anything being cooked must be shared. This even extends to vegetables being chopped - he won't eat them, but won't leave me alone until he gets to try some!

Television is seen as a waste of good playing time - so I'm seldom allowed to watch undisturbed - with the possible exception of some tennis, but not all. I haven't worked out the selection criteria for this one yet.

There's no such thing as a pee in peace in my place, either. If you're a guest that Possum knows, and you go into the bathroom, and shut the door, he's there banging on the door to be let in. Some people find this a tad disturbing! Confused

If he decides it's time for bed, you may as well agree - there'll be no peace until you do (although a bit of a play may distract him). When I was away recently, a cat-sitter aunt found she was punished quite severely for ignoring an explicit go-to-bed command! It was only 8pm, so she thought she'd have some leeway. Wrong - and painful!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:56 pm
I once had a cat (may she rest in peace, she died at the venerable age of 19) who loved to be vacuumed, from the back of her neck to the tip of her tail. Then she'd turn around and want her belly done. I'm just adding this because so far, vacuums seem to be unpopular with the cats in this discussion, Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 04:22 pm
My Phoebe enjoyed being vacuumed! I got so used to getting rid of her excess fur that way, that I was stunned when the new cats didn't like it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 02:57 am
What intrepid & curious critters we have .... Seems they'll try just about anything to keep us humans on our toes! Or to get an extra feed, or a pat:lol:

Dream & dlowan

Cats ALLOWED you to vacuum them? Really? Surprised Oh, if only, if only it were possible to do that to my 3! I won't go into the details (you can imagine, anyway ..) but it is SO time-consuming brushing them, vacuuming their loose fur, etc, etc ... In fact, I feel my nostrils twitching right now.. Laughing But what an AMAZING idea: that they actually enjoyed it! Very funny. Love to see that!

Joanne & littlek

So I take it that both of you have no use for a dish washer? Very Happy

margo

What is it about cats HAVING to be in the toilet with you? Maybe it's refusing to be locked out of ANY place? Bossy little beasts! Curious: What is Possum's technique for telling you you should go to bed? Loud meowing? And he attacked the cat sitter for not following bed time orders? Wicked, wicked Possum! Twisted Evil

urs

What antics does Mysan employ to entertain the guests?
Ah, another TV cat! Does it make you feel like a cushion, or a bed?

LarryBS & Joanne

I have absolutely no doubt that cats are superior beings! The problem is that they know it, too! What a life they have! I'm jealous!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 03:06 am
Maybe I'm becoming a little strange, but I find myself having lengthy "conversations" with my cats. (One at a time, not all at once!) It goes like this: one appear & meows a greeting, I repeat the sound & get another meow. The all-time record was about 10 minutes of non-stop conversation. Laughing They seem to enjoy it!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 08:39 am
Msolga, I can relate very well to you! :-) I haven't had any 10 minutes conversations - but we do talk!

Mysan is a little show-off. She will jump from the table to cupboard and on down onto the refrigerator. She rolls around on the floor. Shows the whole appartement to our guests - including the bath tub where she likes to sit and drink water.

And I do feel like a bed!
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:39 pm
I was struggling with a bag of packaged stuffing mix. The packaging slipped through the scissors without making a mark. I pulled and pulled without any hopes of success. One final tug sent stuffing mix flying all over the kitchen. And in trotted my Dalmatian, more than willing to clean up the mess. In about 5 minutes, it looked like nothing had ever happened.

Same type of deal, an unadequately covered bowl of soup everywhere. Dogs to the rescue!

A cat would sit back and snicker.

Unless it was seafood.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:43 pm
You are absolutely correct about that one!
My cats would walk by - stick their noses in the
air to indicate their very clear disdain for the
rather messy human who is their pet Laughing
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:41 pm
Cats were born to be loved that is for sure. I cannot get enough of them. At one point I had five but I did have the room for them and they could go outside. I was like have five kids I would run through there names before I got to the one I was addressing. I think they thought that was real funny. One of my cats Kiko used to pick up the food dish when it was empty and toss it in the air. how is that for demanding. My little 75% Siamese Noche (all black) was always at the living room window when I drove up at night her little head poked through the drapes. Byt the time I was in the car port and in the back door there she was wnating her pets.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 05:21 am
urs

I like the thought of Mysan impressing the visitors with a guided tour of HER domain! And performing tricks to the applause of the guests! What an extrovert! Laughing

Sublime

How useful! A handy little dalmatian to have around for those chaotic & messy moments in the kitchen! Very Happy But it sounds like there's more than one cleaner-upper in your household ... How many?

Hello Babs! Very Happy So nice to see you! Very Happy
So you're a Cat Person! But yours sound particularly REGAL specimens! None of this eating off the floor for THEM! Are they one of the superior species? ( Mine are all other peoples' rejects, so I tend to have lots of tabbies & grey cats.) But give them enough affection & attention & the BELIEVE they're pedigrees!

Joanne

I couldn't agree more - cats are irresistible! But how did you manage FIVE, Wonder Woman? I once had 4 & I felt like a patting machine, dinner times were total chaos & the annual vet visit for shots!!! - Mama mia! What an experience! Shocked I had to gird my loins before that!
I love black cats!!!! Noche sounded (past tense? Sad ) a delight!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 05:56 am
Well five was a bit much but I went to the pound to get a kitten and ended up getting a mom and her kitten. They were wonderful. Plus at that time I had three very old cats, 21, 17, and 12 years. I was afraid I might lose one. But alas the 21 year old lived another two years, the 17 year old did die but suddently and the 12 year old hung in there another five years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 06:01 am
Awww, Joanne, why can't they live as long as humans?????? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 06:18 am
The loss of a devoted pet is so painful. Each and every one is unique.
0 Replies