SP2 Security Center

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
I downloaded SP2 with no trouble, and I read in this morning's paper that there should be an icon on the Security Panel called the Security Center. I don't have any such icon. Does anyone here have one? It should deal with AV updating info, a a firewall, etc.

The download, BTW, went in 3 batches; with the first 2 I found new additions to Add/Remove without having been notified, however the final batch was added in the usual way, with questions whether I wanted to download and install, etc.

I would like to find a list of what new items SP2 has - not merely the item numbers listed in Add/Remove, but their names and natures. For example, I understand there is something called Add-in Manager, but nothing tells me where to find/how to use it.

I have the CD-ROM. Would it make sense to run it or would it mess things up with added layers of information?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 754 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Cyanure

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:50 pm
You should have these icons added in Control Panel:

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/5247/3848.jpg

http://img8.exs.cx/img8/4828/15319.jpg
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:30 pm
Nope, nothing like those. Nada.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:19 pm
Right click your internet connection in My Netwrok Places, then click Properties.
Click Advanced, then Settings
Turn Off the built in Windows Firewall and click Ok
Then the security center red icon will popup in the system tray near the clock. Double click it and you're inside the Security Center.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:30 am
Cyanure - I tried following your instructions, but nothing appeared anywhere. Now what?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
Re: SP2 Security Center
Tomkitten wrote:
I downloaded SP2 with no trouble, and I read in this morning's paper that there should be an icon on the Security Panel called the Security Center. I don't have any such icon. Does anyone here have one? It should deal with AV updating info, a a firewall, etc.

Right-click My Computer. On the General tab, under System, does it mention that Service Pack 2 is installed? If not, I'm not sure what you've done but you have NOT installed SP2.

Tomkitten wrote:
I would like to find a list of what new items SP2 has - not merely the item numbers listed in Add/Remove, but their names and natures.

The Windows updates listed under Add\Remove Programs which mention "SP2" are actually pre-SP2 releases. Some security updates just couldn't wait, so Microsoft took some components of SP2 & released them early.

Service Pack 2 itself shows up under Add\Remove programs as a single entry: "Windows XP Service Pack 2"

As for the features of SP2, the Web is filled with info about it. Try Microsoft.com

Tomkitten wrote:
For example, I understand there is something called Add-in Manager, but nothing tells me where to find/how to use it.

With WinXP SP2 installed, open Internet Explorer and click Tools -> Manage Add-Ons.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
Thanks, Monger; I'll check it out in the Add/Remove. If nothing more than the 20+ SP items is listed I'll use the CD.

Oh the sneakines of Microsoft!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:34 pm
Done!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:46 am
Now the next thing is can I get rid of the 20+ SP@ Hotfix items in the Add/Remove? Does SP@ itself cover whatever they are?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:47 am
Sorry for the typo.
0 Replies