‘Basket of Deplorables’

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 06:40 am
About the ‘Basket of Deplorables’
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/12/opinion/about-the-basket-of-deplorables.html

Let’s get straight to it: Hillary Clinton’s comments Friday at a fund-raiser that half of Donald Trump’s supporters could be put in a “basket of deplorables” wasn’t a smart political play.

Candidates do themselves a tremendous disservice when they attack voters rather than campaigns. Whatever advantage is procured through the rallying of one’s own base is outweighed by what will be read as divisiveness and disdain.

Here is Clinton’s full quote:

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive, hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric. Now some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.”

Then, she continued: “But the other basket — and I know this because I see friends from all over America here — I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.”

That second basket got too little attention. Context doesn’t provide the sizzle on which shock media subsists. Noted.

What Clinton said was impolitic, but it was not incorrect. There are things a politician cannot say. Luckily, I’m not a politician.

Donald Trump is a deplorable candidate — to put it charitably — and anyone who helps him advance his racial, religious and ethnic bigotry is part of that bigotry. Period. Anyone who elevates a sexist is part of that sexism. The same goes for xenophobia. You can’t conveniently separate yourself from the detestable part of him because you sense in him the promise of cultural or economic advantage. That hair cannot be split.

Furthermore, one doesn’t have to actively hate to contribute to a culture that allows hate to flourish.

It doesn’t matter how lovely your family, how honorable your work or service, how devout your faith — if you place ideological adherence or economic self interest above the moral imperative to condemn and denounce a demagogue, then you are deplorable.

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, the Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.
Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

And there is some evidence that Trump’s supporters don’t simply have a passive, tacit acceptance of an undesirable platform, but instead have an active set of beliefs that support what is deplorable in Trump.

In state after state that Trump won during the primaries, he won a majority or near majority of voters who supported a temporary ban on Muslims entering this country and who supported deporting immigrants who are in this country illegally.

In June a Reuters/Ipsos poll found: “Nearly half of Trump’s supporters described African-Americans as more ‘violent’ than whites. The same proportion described African-Americans as more ‘criminal’ than whites, while 40 percent described them as more ‘lazy’ than whites.”

A Pew poll released in February found that 65 percent of Republicans believe the next president should “speak bluntly even if critical of Islam as a whole” when talking about Islamic extremists.

Another Reuters/Ipsos online poll in July found that 58 percent of Trump supporters have a “somewhat unfavorable” view of Islam and 78 percent believe Islam was more likely to encourage acts of terrorism.

A February Public Policy Polling survey found “Trump’s support in South Carolina is built on a base of voters among whom religious and racial intolerance pervades.” What the poll found about those South Carolina supporters’ beliefs was truly shocking:

• Eighty percent of likely Trump primary voters supported Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims.

• Sixty-two percent supported creating a national database of Muslims and 40 percent supported shutting down mosques in the United States.

• Thirty-eight percent wished the South had won the Civil War.

• Thirty-three percent thought the practice of Islam should be illegal in this country.

• Thirty-two percent supported the policy of Japanese internment during World War II.

• Thirty-one percent would support a ban on homosexuals entering the country.

On Saturday, Clinton issued a statement pointing out that “I regret saying ‘half’ — that was wrong.” Place the percentage where you will — or don’t — but the fact is indisputable.

I understand that people recoil at the notion that they are part of a pejorative basket. I understand the reflexive resistance to having your negative beliefs disrobed and your sense of self dressed down.

I understand your outrage, but I’m unmoved by it. If the basket fits …

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 06:44 am
I find it interesting that polls like these are used when they are so self serving. I am willing to bet that if you asked Hillary supporters in the same exact areas you'd get similar results. Hillary supporters and Dems in general are no smarter then the people the go to school with, work with, do what ever people in SC do. I look at those polls and I think that I do not know a single person, not even on Facebook that believes any of that horse ****. And that is what it is, let their be no doubt.
engineer

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:53 am
@McGentrix,
They do ask Clinton supporters in the exact same areas the same questions and they get different results, but they aren't zero either. I imagine that everyone is a "little bit racist", but I think we are in a different place right now. Like most people I know a fair number of Republicans and Democrats. In the past, we've had good political debates, rousing discussions about the merits of one candidate or another. This year is completely different. Every single one of the active Trump supporters I know have made blatantly racist comments to me in the past before this election cycle. I'm not talking the coded racist comments that every Southern person learns, I mean outright racism. Maybe that was how they were raised, maybe they are uninformed or misinformed, maybe they just don't understand what they are saying, maybe they absolutely do. They are deplorable, but I always wonder if someday something will happen and some in this group will see that race or gender or religion or nationality is not nearly as important as drive and compassion and opportunity and wealth in deciding outcomes.

There is another group of people that haven't endorsed Trump but may hold their noses and vote for him. Maybe we should call this the Ryan camp named after the Speaker. These people know that Trump is racist but are willing to let his racism run rampant because civil rights aren't all that important to them as the favored class and they have other fish to fry. They are clearly deplorable. They know what they are getting, but they are willing to let the Justice Department be run by an avowed racist because maybe they will get a tax cut out of it. They have no illusions about Trump's business acumen or his foreign policy, but they see him as clay they can mold to get what they want. They are willing to let Trump fill the courts with racist judges because it just won't impact them and they can meet their own objectives. These are the true deplorables. They vote with eyes wide open.

I guess the last group of conservatives I know are horrified at Trump. They might not vote, they might vote for a third party, they might vote Clinton, but they aren't going to pull that lever for someone who is unapologetically racist. Luckily, most of the ones I know personally fit that category.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:17 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I rarely click on the Times now, paywall. Who was the author of that?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 09:24 am
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I rarely click...
Who was the author of that?

That would be Charles M. Blow, who has been with The New York Times as a columnist for several years now.

Among other things he wrote the 2014 book, Fire Shut Up In My Bones which was categorized as a memoir. Definitely a riveting read. Mr.Blow is a 46 year old male and black. He has spoken on various programs and in print against Mr.Trump and racism. He graduated from Grambling State in Louisiana, the state in which he was born and raised.

Here we have a transcript of a C-Span interview from 2011, conducted by Brian Lamb: www.c-span.org/video/transcript/?id=8271
oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 09:33 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I rarely click on the Times now, paywall.

The NYT paywall is annoying. By giving you 10 free articles a month, they force you to stop and decide whether any given article is worth expending one of your monthly credits.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 09:54 am
@oralloy,
As I have (and others have too), indicated in the past, the route around the firewall is deleting your browsing history and cookies. Do it after each visit and you are able to read as much as you want. If you read 10 articles in a visit but want 1 or 1000 more, just clear the history and cookies after read #10 and start a new set of 10. It's a much better system to work with than those lunacidic tabloids which require payment for even 1 read!
oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 10:02 am
@Sturgis,
Deleting history shouldn't be necessary, and I actively use it to find places that I've been in the past.

Deleting all cookies would mean I'd have to sign in everywhere again. I might consider deleting specific cookies if I were to determine which ones they use to enforce their paywall. At the moment though it is much easier to just read other publications.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 10:27 am
@oralloy,
You can use a specific browser exclusively for the purpose of browsing news sites so that it doesn't mess with your standard browser. I use IE just for that purpose and Chrome for everything else.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 10:57 am
You can copy and paste the Times article's url into the Private setting of Internet Explorer (Ctrl+Shift+P [I believe it's the same for Firefox]) or the Incognito setting of Google Chrome (Ctrl+Shift+N). These settings do not save cookies, so the Times won't be able to track the number of articles you've read.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:04 am
@InfraBlue,
http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/2014/10/how-to-open-private-window-opera-for-computers/

Quote:

It’s easy to open a private window in Opera for computers. You can either go through the menu: File > New Private Window. Or, you can use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+Shift+N for Windows and ⌘+Shift+N for Mac.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 09:08 am
@ossobucotemp,
Charles M. Blow
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charles M. Blow
Charles blow 2014.jpg
Charles Blow at the 2014 Texas Book Festival.
Born Charles McRay Blow
August 11, 1970 (age 46)
United States
Occupation Journalist, columnist, writer

Charles McRay Blow (born August 11, 1970) is an American journalist, liberal commentator, and the current visual op-ed columnist for The New York Times.

Contents

1 Life and career
2 Personal
3 References
4 External links

Life and career

Blow grew up in Gibsland, Louisiana.[1] He graduated magna cum laude from Grambling State University, with a bachelor's degree in mass communication. He has worked as a graphics director and art director for the The New York Times and National Geographic.

In April 2008, he began writing a column in the The New York Times, featuring charts as a form of opinion journalism. His column originally appeared biweekly on Saturdays. In May 2009 it became a weekly feature, and twice weekly in December 2012. As of May 2014, it appears every Monday and Thursday.

Blow often appears on CNN and MSNBC.

On February 22, 2012, Blow referred to presidential candidate Mitt Romney's "magic underwear," an apparent reference to the Temple Garment, in response to a comment by Romney about two parent households.[2][3] The comment was criticized as insensitive to Mormons. In response, Romney joked that "I guess we’re finding out for the first time that the media is somewhat biased."[3] Blow later apologized.[3][4]

In August 2016, while appearing on CNN with Donald Trump presidential campaign delegate Bruce Levell, Blow called Trump a "bigot" and said that anyone who supported Trump is "a part of the bigotry itself."[5][6]
Personal

Blow is a single father of three children. His eldest son attends Yale University[7] and his twins attend Middlebury College and Columbia University. They live in Brooklyn.[8] In 2014, Blow came out publicly as bisexual.[9][10]
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 09:17 am
@Sturgis,
Thanks. I used to read him.

And thanks for the browser mentions by more folks..
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 09:23 am
@ossobucotemp,
Back in the days I used to routinely clean cookies, I had to re establish my identity to get into sites, a big bother. I forget the process by now, but I remember annoyance. Maybe that doesn't happen these days. I'll will play with having a separate browser, etc. Also the url business..
NSFW (view)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 12:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't think Jimmy Fallon knew what he was doing playing patsy with Trump.
That he would entertain a racial bigot, liar, narcissist, and Putin crony gets a bit surreal. He seems unawares that having him on his show as a regular guy is tantamount as support for Trump's many failings as a human.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 04:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think Fallon supports tRump, I also think tRump didn't look particularly Presidential.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 07:02 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Back in the days I used to routinely clean cookies, I had to re establish my identity to get into sites, a big bother. I forget the process by now, but I remember annoyance. Maybe that doesn't happen these days. I'll will play with having a separate browser, etc. Also the url business..

Erasing all cookies on a given browser will still have the effect of forcing you to re-sign-in on every site on that browser.

The idea of using separate browsers and the idea of using private/incognito mode should both work without causing this hassle.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 07:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I don't think Jimmy Fallon knew what he was doing playing patsy with Trump.
That he would entertain a racial bigot, liar, narcissist, and Putin crony gets a bit surreal. He seems unawares that having him on his show as a regular guy is tantamount as support for Trump's many failings as a human.

Good grief.

I know Democrats are embracing wacky extremism in preparation for their new role as a fringe party for the next 20 years, but they need to keep in mind that the rest of America isn't drinking their Kool Aid.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 11:57 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It's just that Fallon didn't indicate otherwise. Trump is not a regular guy; he has too many faults that can be targeted. Messing with his hair doesn't say much of anything.