Your notions about south america

Diane

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:05 pm
Set, imagine a drum roll--while you are on a roll.

For most of us, anywhere in the world, what we know of other counties is what we see on TV. Of course, that means all of us only see the very worst because that is what sells. Poverty, race riots, corrupt government (in the case of the US this is true). Who has ever seen on TV or read in a newspaper, people in another country going about their business and living their lives and loving their families?

As far as the US goes, I hear that Dallas and other soap operas are hugely popular in foreign countries. Let me assure you, we DON"T live like that.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:05 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm wondering of course if the Duke is a kidder. Let me hope so.

You can hope all you want. At least you're putting your mind to work.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:14 pm
I personally prefer a million times to visit South American countries like Columbia. Argentina, Brazil, Chile......maybe Uruguay......but I wouldn't step a foot in Mexico. I don't want to risk getting kidnapped by the taco bell sales person so that he can sell my organs for $100. Laughing
No way jose
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:07 pm
Athos wrote:
By the way I have a question. Is it only the movies or in the States people always try to find some obscure racist/insulting sense to everything that others say? As if they were predisposed to find themselves insulted for the most inocent commentary.

No it's not only in the movies. America is the nation most obsessed with race that I know of. This obsession isn't just manifest in racism, but in how prominent a characteristic race is to everyone's perception.

America just has an inordinate obsession with race.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:08 pm
I'll be CdK knows a ton of good Argentine jokes . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:10 pm
Hmm, not really... The Brazilians joke about the Portuguese. They are the butt of all the "polish" jokes you see stateside.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:12 pm
Geeze, i just ain't pickin' up no good Argentine jokes . . .
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:22 pm
Setanta, what's with your thirst for argetinian jokes?

Caniggia and Batistuta are arguing about which one of them is a better soccer player...
Batistuta: I'm the best soccer player God sent to the earth.
Caniggia: You are wrong, that title belongs to me.
After hours of arguing they decide to ask Maradona.
Batistuta: Diego, who do you think is the best player God sent to the earth?
Diego: I can't answer that.
Caniggia: And why not?
Diego: Because I don't remember sending anyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:44 pm
Fantastic, Boss . . .

Years ago, i knew some Columbians, and used to occassionally go to their house for dinner and some relaxation (they were college students, five guys in the same house). It was from them that i first learned of the deep and abiding love which Latin America entertains for the Argentines.

I also have a love of the absurd, and of low humor. I mean no offense in asking people to indulge me a little--but i'll leave off now.
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Athos,

I think it is fair to ask you the same question.

I live in the United States.

I have heard that most people in the world think we live decadent lives on streets paved with gold and have no real worries. There is also the stereotype of estadounidenses as ignorant of anything outside their own country.

Is this what you all think of us?

In a way, yes.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
http://www.brazilbrazil.com/p/pic_215h.jpg

Map sent to President Bush by the Brazilians, for the use of the Air Force:

http://www.brazilbrazil.com/p/pic_215h2.jpg

That map is a joke isn't it?
Over there Argentina and Chile are in purple as one country...
I doubt that the Government of Brazil would need to send anything to Bush, he can get a serious map anywhere.
The Americans also think that Mexico is in South America when it is in North America...
So much for American knowledge...
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:50 pm
Duke of Lancaster wrote:
JoeFX wrote:
Ah, I've always wondered the same thing but instead of South America, just Mexico.

I know some people think of Tijuana as a whore house and the epitome of decadent lifestyle.

And I know some people think of mexicans as small, mustached, dark skinned men who don't take their sombrero and sarape off and sleep on the shawows of cactuces.

But I don't know how many people think that. I tend to think that not too many... but I might be wrong.

No offense, but that's exactly how Mexico is. I mean, let's be realistic most of Mexicans are indeed dark-skinned. Don't get me started with Tijuana. But anyway....
South America, on the other hand, is more advanced and civilized with a more European background. I took two yrs. of Geography in college and this is what I was taught as a scholar. In US high schools we're not taught much about Central and South America, as well as Australia. It was in college when we explored different countries and cultures.

There are many countries in South America, some are mostly Indian and others are mostly Indian and Black, yet others like Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, are more European.
Chile is the only country in the Americas who have no blacks.
My statement is cultural and not racist; it's the truth.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:32 pm
Are you saying it is the only South American country that did not employ slaves from Africa?
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:04 pm
Just basic economics
Wrong, Chile did employ black slaves, but very few. Bringing black slaves was to expensive when compared to the encomienda system: in this system an "encomendero" (something like the land lord) took charge of a group of natives (I don't like to use the word indians). Legally the were supposed to provide for them and turn them into catholicism and in return he had right to the natives labor.
Just a technicism, since I don't think I need to tell you what that meant
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:28 am
Athos, the map there does not show Chile and Argentina as one county but rather shows no Argentina (apart from really unproporionate Chile, Paraguay and Bolivia to disguise more the Argentina missing part). It's a joke.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:32 am
Xavier, your statement that Americans think Mexico is in South America rather than North America is a figment of your imagination, and says a good deal about your prejudices toward the United States. The North American Free Trade Agreement comprehends Canada, the United States of America and the United States of Mexico--we know where it is.
0 Replies