(Stale?) Mold found on 3 month old pasta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 12:56 pm
I was cleaning my room and found pasta from about 3 months ago. I know it's from about 3 months ago because that was the last time I had pasta. I tried cleaning off the mold, and spores flew everywhere. I did my best not to breathe it in. It was kind of stale too. I read about mycotoxins and how they can cause cancer. I tried looking this up, but no luck.

My question is, is the mold commonly found on pasta (with cheese) safe? Am I going to go need to see a doctor?

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:19 pm
@myusername12,
for gods sake, throw it out.
myusername12

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
I threw it out, but I just want to know if I need to go see a doctor. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:28 pm
@myusername12,
myusername12 wrote:
I tried cleaning off the mold, and spores flew everywhere. I did my best not to breathe it in. It was kind of stale too.

why in the world did you do anything other than bag it up and throw it out?
contrex

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:44 pm
Quote:
I was cleaning my room and found pasta from about 3 months ago. I know it's from about 3 months ago because that was the last time I had pasta. I tried cleaning off the mold, and spores flew everywhere.

You either invented this to get attention, or you need to greatly improve your housekeeping procedures, especially in the cleanliness and hygiene areas. If you were as big a hypochondriac as you claim to be, how come you aren't cleaning up old food?
myusername12

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 03:27 pm
@contrex,
I didn't eat it. When I said "I tried cleaning off the mold", I meant I tried cleaning it up. I didn't eat it or attempt to eat it... I would never eat it, that's just plain disgusting. I just meant I might have breathed in some of the mold. I just wanted to know if I'm fine.

And by stale I meant the mold was hard like a rock (and the pasta too). I didn't eat it lol.
0 Replies

myusername12

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 03:29 pm
@ehBeth,
That's exactly what I did. It was in a bowl though, so I needed to clean the bowl. That's what I meant.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 03:32 pm
@myusername12,
You threw it out.

You'll be fine.

Next time - put the whole bowl in the bag to clean it. The dust/spores will stay inside the bag.
roger

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
You mean we're really supposed to clean the mold off pizza before throwing it out. If only I had known.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:02 pm
Something doesn't add up here. The OP says they were cleaning up and found 3 month old cooked pasta which had acquired a mould (US spelling: "mold") growth. Why is this? Most people wash dishes, pans etc a reasonably short time after cooking, precisely in order to avoid such things happening.

Anyhow, if the mould that grows on 3 month old pasta was a serious danger to health, it would be widely known, and packages of pasta would have warnings. Since pasta is just processed and extruded wheat and (sometimes) egg, it would be widely known if those common things got dangerous so easily. If it was dangerous, you'd be dead already, honey, and so would everybody else. These considerations lead me to the conclusion that we are either dealing with a loony or an attention troll (not that those things are mutually exclusive).
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:31 am
@myusername12,
Quote:
I was cleaning my room and found pasta from about 3 months ago.

I think you may have discovered penicillin which could come in handy against bubonic plague and the like which may be contracted during cleaning out other areas of the house.

Old bowls of food which escape your assiduous attention could be quite the blessing for someone with a touch of hypochondriacal aversion to housework.

But beware , you no sooner clean the kitchen than 6 months later you have to do it again.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/florey/story.htm
roger

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:37 am
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

But beware , you no sooner clean the kitchen than 6 months later you have to do it again.

Not so sure about that. I have a spot of spaghetti sauce on the floor and it's well over three months. Not a hint of mold.

When I say you can eat off my floors, you don't want to make assumptions.
ekename

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:41 am
@roger,
Speaking of cooking class , I love those shows where the pasta is made directly on the bench top but never mention there is less e coli on the toilet bowl, how am I expected to prep in such a confined space.
roger

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:46 am
@ekename,
I would like to ask a few questions about their bench top.

Seriously though, I have heard that wood cutting boards accumulate less germs than the plastic ones. Sounds a little counterintuitive, but I haven't been able to prove otherwise.
ekename

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:51 am
@roger,
I'm too busy wiping the bench top with a filth covered rag to worry, although Ida thought that the board with the smoothest surface would be the best eg . glass.

I put the glass cutting boards and any cleaning sponges/scourers thru the dishwasher at temperatures exceeding supernova.

It's my only way of staying clean tonight.

roger

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:17 am
@ekename,
Glass? You use glass? To protect your knives, the best is wood made up of individual blocks so you're always cutting into the end grain of the wood. I'm sure glass is best from the cleaning standpoint, but I don't have that kind of dishwasher, anyway.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 03:54 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I would like to ask a few questions about their bench top.

Seriously though, I have heard that wood cutting boards accumulate less germs than the plastic ones. Sounds a little counterintuitive, but I haven't been able to prove otherwise.

Natural antibacterial substances in wood.
0 Replies