CD BURNING/PLAYBACK PROBLEMS

Misti26

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 01:26 pm
I have burned a CD for the first time, and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I can playback the CD on my computer, but it will not playback on a regular stereo CD player.

I bought CD-RW's, is that correct?

Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,947 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:39 pm
Some CD players will not play CDRs or CDRWs. It sucks but it's true.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:09 pm
Swimpy, so what do we do?

I thought maybe I bought the wrong CD's so I was hoping it was something simple like that.

Thanks anyway:)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:16 pm
Swimpy's answer is - unfortunatley for you - correct, Misti.
(BTW: I got one 'normal' [legal :wink: ] cd, which runs on one of our cd-players, but not on the others.

What to do? You'll have to listen to it on the computer, try another cd-player, buy another one (and could have the same effect) ... Sad
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:37 pm
Thanks WH, this is real encouraging ... why bother having the capability to burn at all?

Oh well, back to the drawing board:)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:36 pm
I'm so sorry to hear that Misti. My son has been bugging me to get a CD burner for over a year now and he can't even play them on his CD player. I won't get him a new one because we paid $400 for the one he has just a little over a year ago. That really stinks :-(
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:12 am
Take heart Gezzy, I went out tonight and bought a different brand of CD, Fujifilm CD-R (All Purpose) Recordable CD's for Audio Recorders and they worked fine.

I knew there had to be an easy way out:)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:27 am
You stumbled onto the easiest, if slightly pricier, solution, Misti. Many Audio-Only CD players will have difficulty with ANY CD-RW and many non-"Audio-Rated" CD-Rs. Its a Copyright/Royalty thing not worth explaining, but there is a difference between Data CD-R and Audio CD-R. Either can be used for data, but the "For CD Audio" labled discs carry some pre-written code that makes them more palatable to Audio CD Players. Also, a CD must be "FInalized", or "Closed", before most Audio CD players will recognize them. "Finalization" is a process handled by your CD Burning application. Once a disc is "Finalized", it should be readable in most devices, while an "Unfinalized" disc is generally readable only by a computer. Once "Finalized", a CD-R cannot be written to any more, so don't "Finalize" untill your disc contains all you want it to. "Finalization" or "Closing" should be well addressed by the HELP/User Manual function of your Burning Application.
PM me or post on this thread if you want more info ... I'll keep an eye out for your response.

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:02 am
Timber, thanks for the information. As stated before, this is my first try at this, so I didn't know if it was something I was or wasn't doing that caused it, I even tried different CD's.

I understand what you were talking about regarding finalization as I had read the same thing on the back of the label.

My system came with MUSICMATCH Jukebox, I'm wondering if there's a better one or is this a popular program.

Thanks for helping me, I need all the help I can get:)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:26 am
There are lots of CD Burning Apps out there. Win XP has some rudimentary burning capability built in, and MMJ is OK for casual use too. Nero Burning ROM and EZ-CD Creator are two pretty well featured burning programs, but don't spend the money untill you have figured out how to use the Freebies you've already got. When you can work with them comfortably and reliably, and if you find yourself limited by features they might lack, then look at other Programs. Don't try to drive a Big Rig before you learn how to shift gears! Laughing

timber
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:30 am
Mom and A#1 grandson have gone to sleep, but I think they were successful.....finally! That dang Red Hot Chili Peppers song is going to haunt my dreams!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:56 am
Sorry you had to go through that, Rae ... musta been hell Laughing

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 04:23 pm
Timber, you're absolutely right. .... I'll wait to get my driver's license first:)
0 Replies