Upgrading RAM on a Gateway

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 01:25 pm
Ok, I will try to be as concise as possible.
I have a Gateway 900MHz AMD Athlon, which I am attempting to upgrade from the original 64K RAM to 256K, to run XP.

Presently running ME, the computer hangs when the new chip is inserted.

Crucial's Tech Support suggested that my BIOS, American Megatrends Inc. 0AASNP05 should be upgraded to P06, to accomodate the new memory. ( I assume to tell it to accept more than the 64K).

For some reason, this is a lot harder than it appears to be.

Any thoughts suggestions or tips regarding this process would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your timely response to this inordinately vexing problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,549 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:55 pm
i assume Gateway as a tech support web site which i would certainly check.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:00 pm
I tried to get onto the Crucial Site, but it was unavailable. (Must be that slowdown on some servers today). Anyhow, when I upgraded my RAM, the Crucial site told me exactly what kind of RaM I needed, and the configuration. Did you check that before you bought the new RAM?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:50 pm
MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!

(Crucial is experiencing technical difficulties today, Phoenix, that is why you couldn't get in, I don't know if it is worm related or not)

Yes, dyslexia, that site is my most visited for the past two days!!!

Apparently, I have come to find out through ad nauseum tutorials and on line tech support help regarding my specific system, that although my motherboard will take up to 256K, I can't put more than 128K into each DIMM.

Thanks for the responses, I sincerely appreciate it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:30 pm
Oy, Maxsdadeo- When I went to Crucial for my 'puter, they told me EXACTLY what was the limit of the RAM that I could put in, and the different options that I had for the slots!

Sorry that you had to go through grief. It is soo aggravating!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:42 pm
I'm getting ready to add more Ram to my computer and I thought it was a simple thing. Of course since I know nothing about it, I will bring it to my local computer repair shop. I do hope I don't have as hard a time as you did Maxsdad.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 06:57 am
Gezzy- This is the site that I was looking for last night, that was not working:

Link to Crucial RAM

You can determine exactly what you need from the chart, and then buy the RAM from a discount store. Some of them will install it for you (Are there any Best Buys in Canada?) It probably would be cheaper for you that way.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:16 am
Thanks Phoenix. Unfortunately, there are no best buys here in my area anyway, but I'll snoop around for prices.

Thanks for the site :-)
0 Replies