Problem formatting PC with XP

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:02 pm
I have a friend who needs to format his PC but can't because when he inserts the XP cd and wants to delete the partition, the program says that temporary files are running or in existance.

Is there another way to format the disk without the disk via XP or some boot disks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 696 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:19 pm
Set the system BIOS to boot off of the CD ROM drive, put the XP disk into the drive and reboot the system (a hard reboot - not a "restart").

XP will start up and run it's install routine.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:21 pm
that's what he's done.. and on the blue screen trying to delete the partition and he doesn't want to re-install xp but to format it..

thanks for your answer
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:28 pm
Ummm.. You've lost me. If he reformats the disc what does he think will be left on it when he's done? If he's reformatting the disc XP is on right now he'll have nothing.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 02:36 am
You need to boot here from an XP boot disk and not the XP CD and delete your partition to avoid copying the installation files, then insert your XP CD and re-boot and install XP again.
You can get the XP boot disk from here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Just pick correctly your SP.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:25 am
Though a Windows boot floppy does include apps to recreate & format partitions, there should be no need at all to use one if you have a bootable Windows installation CD (which all WinXP CDs should be).

Now, if for some reason you want to use a boot floppy rather than the CD to accomplish those tasks, do not use a WinXP boot floppy set, use a Win98 or ME boot floppy. The XP boot floppy set (5 floppies) offers no advantages over the single Win98 or ME boot floppy for your friends situation...it'll just take much more time to load them.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:16 pm
Thanks, I'll have him try that
0 Replies