Recent heartrending earthquakes

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:10 pm
The big destructive one in the Appennini Mountains and then the one in Myanmar, higher on Richter scale but sounding less destructive at least in the news I saw, both hard on the people. I read in Time this morning (pretty useful article) that in the Appeninni it has been ever thus, and it will happen again and again because of the long faultline. I think I read in the same article how the area has very long been a big source for food for other areas, Rome, for example, sigh.

Amatrice breaks my heart, as does Accumoli. I haven't been to either, but have been to Perugia, not all so far away, as have other friends. Not the same as being part of the area, not the same as having family there for a long time and having loved ones killed and your towns destroyed.

This will sound obnoxious but I don't mean it that way - tonight I am making meatballs all'Amatriciana, in sorrow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,659 • Replies: 9
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 08:51 am
@ossobucotemp,
When 'apothis' hits us (2036) you'd better cook everything - Quickly.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 10:30 am
http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/08/italian-town-helping-earthquake-victims-with-pasta-aid.html

They're raising money by selling pasta all'Amatriciana, as shown in actual article, http link a bit confusing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 03:50 am

Major earthquake strikes Turkey, Syria; hundreds dead, many trapped
(reuters)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 05:09 am

the initial quake was 7.8, followed by a 7.5 after shock.

10,000+ casualties predicted... Crying or Very sad
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 05:15 am
@Region Philbis,
And despite Erdogan's duplicitious behaviour over the invasion, Ukraine has offered to help.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 06:39 am
And another earthquake has just hit the same region, not an aftershock but another earthquake.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2023 06:04 am
@izzythepush,

17,000 dead and counting...

how can you possibly prepare for a major quake that hits at 4 in the morning?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2023 06:38 am
@Region Philbis,
It can't, but previous quakes have been more devastating when certain planning laws were ignored.

I'm thinking of Italy here.

Whether or not that's the case in Turkey I don't know.

I do know that there has been a lot of anger about the slow response, and Erdogan, dictator that he is, has had people arrested for criticising the government.

His base, like most conservative/reactionaries is rural, and that's what's been hit.

If anything good can come of this hopefully Erdogan will be kicked out on his ear at the next election.

This opinion piece was written a couple of days before the earthquake, and I agree with all of it.

Quote:
That Turkey is a “vital strategic ally” of the west is the sort of truism on which people such as Joe Biden and Jens Stoltenberg, Nato’s secretary general, are raised. Yet what if the old saw no longer holds true? What if Turkey’s leader, exploiting this notion, betrays western interests in a pretence of partnership? Should not that leader be treated as a liability, a threat – even ostracised as an enemy?

Geography doesn’t change. Turkey wields significant influence at the crossroads of Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Yet the increasingly aggressive, authoritarian and schismatic policies pursued at home and abroad over two decades by its choleric sultan-president have upended long-cherished assumptions. Turkey’s reliability and usefulness as a trusted western ally is almost at an end.

[url]guardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/05/turkeys-two-faced-sultan-is-no-friend-of-the-west-its-time-to-play-hardball[/url]
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2023 07:55 am
One thing that has hampered Turkey's rescue is the role of the military, or lack of.

In most situations the military would take a leading role in the rescue attempts, but Erdogan has a real problem with the military.

Erdogan is Conservative and reactionary while the military has often been the face of pro Western liberalism.

The military has already lead one abortive coup so Erdogan wants them sidelined.

Now that is coming back to bite him.
0 Replies