White Male Privilege Is Why We Laugh At Lochte And Vilify Douglas

oralloy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 06:36 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
From the article -
"Lochte, who acknowledged he’d been drinking, had drawn the ire of authorities when he incorrectly described the incident in an impromptu interview hours after it occurred, saying that the men had been “pulled over” and he had a “gun to the forehead.” Neither of those details were correct and Lochte drew outrage from Brazilians who had grown tired of skepticism in the foreign press about their ability to host a secure Olympics. But the swimmers were in a cab about to pull away from the station when a man with a badge stopped it, and one of the guards did aim a gun at Lochte from close range, surveillance videos show."

He sure didn't tell the truth -

I don't know how many times you've had a stranger point a loaded gun at you and cock the hammer, but it is perfectly normal for someone to get details like that wrong after a traumatic incident like that.

It is more than obvious that Lochte's belief that he was robbed was genuine given the circumstances, and an honest misunderstanding is not a lie.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 06:37 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
ossobucotemp wrote:
he also went on about himself being the only swimmer standing up to these faux cops, with the other three lying down, all of them placing their wallets on the ground.

To be honest I wouldn't doubt he would do that - thinking he was above the Brazilian police and not worthy of lying down.

Now this is pure speculation on my part - don't start forwarding this as fact on social media.

They weren't police; they were private security. More to the point, he had no idea what they were from their babbling of foreign gibberish at him.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why did you post what looks very much like a neo-nazi video about a notorious Holocaust-denier, c.i.? And why did several others here thumb it up?
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:53 pm
@nimh,
Hi, nimh, I still love you through the years, no, no need to agree. CI is an interesting guy, I've met him. He has peculiarites, to me, but over time to others. I well know his history, over and over. At this point, I try not to kill him with my opinions. At the least, he is very repetitive. He's 81.
I like Tak, but he can make me nuts. At the same time, I get his general take on matters.

oralloy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:15 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Why did you post what looks very much like a neo-nazi video about a notorious Holocaust-denier, c.i.? And why did several others here thumb it up?

Anti-Semitism and liberalism are both taking root in America's Democratic Party. The party is transitioning to kooky extremism in preparation for their extended role as the minority over the next 20 years.

The liberals and anti-Semites will all be purged from the party before it returns to power, but for the next couple decades you will likely hear all sorts of freakery out of the American Left.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 04:55 am
Rio police charge Lochte with false report of robbery
Source: The Washington Post

By Mauricio Savarese | AP August 25 at 6:45 PM

RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazilian police charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte on Thursday with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

A police statement said Lochte would be informed in the United States so he could decide whether to introduce a defense in Brazil.

The indictment will also be sent to the International Olympic Committee’s ethics commission, the statement said.

Lochte initially said that he and fellow swimmers Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with a police badge as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party Aug. 15. However, security video suggested the four actually faced security guards after vandalizing a gas station restroom.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/rio-police-charge-lochte-with-false-report-of-robbery/2016/08/25/7bbca052-6b0e-11e6-91cb-ecb5418830e9_story.html?wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-sports%252Bnation
Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That seems odd as from everything I read Lochte and the swimmers did not file a report. The media brought it up. How can they be accused of filing a false report if they never did this?

The laws must be different as in the US you need to file with the police not via the media.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 07:51 am
@Linkat,
We've got in Germany (and most other European countries as well) a similar section in our criminal code (for Germany StGB § 164 False accusation; in Switzerland it's art. 303, 1, 1 StGB; in Austria it's § 297 StGB)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
We should have his response delivered by the US Air Force. They could get in some target practice.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 11:45 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
We should have his response delivered by the US Air Force. They could get in some target practice.
Certainly that's part of the Treaty between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of Brazil on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:47 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
How can they be accused of filing a false report if they never did this?

I suppose if you're reporting verbally to a reporter after claiming you couldn't get fair hearing or due process from officials, you are making a report.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't think he'll get your dry humor, Walter!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:55 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The term in Portuguese is falsa comunicação de crime, which doesn't seem to be a report at/with the police.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Machines can't get that, I know.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:21 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:
How can they be accused of filing a false report if they never did this?

I suppose if you're reporting verbally to a reporter after claiming you couldn't get fair hearing or due process from officials, you are making a report.

did they actually do this?

It does seem to me that the Brazil police are pushing this as far as possible. I just can't imagine that if the same thing happened in the US anyone would pursue this as an actual filing of a crime. Probably because reporters are not in a position to be legal entities.

But laws are different in other countries so of course this could be something you would be in trouble with in Brazil.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:31 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
The laws must be different as in the US you need to file with the police not via the media.

I know that the Canadian athletes are advised the Canadian laws don't apply while abroad. I'd be surprised if American athletes weren't given similar information.

The law of the land applies, not the law of your home country.

Athletes don't get diplomatic immunity.

___

When I was looking into this, I found a kind of funny comment that ignorance doesn't provide immunity.

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:56 pm
@ehBeth,
And the thing is - it isn't like these swimmers aren't used to traveling abroad. You would think they would understand this.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I like him too; that's why I asked. It seemed out of character. If it was some random newbie who posted the video, I'd just have assumed he was a fascist, thumbed down or reported the comment, and moved on. Now I was moved to ask.

I also asked the people who upvoted the comment why they'd done so. About c.i you can argue his age and so on, but what about them? Did people realize what they were thumbing up? Or were they doing so purely on the basis of siding with the user they saw as generally being on their side, regardless of what the user was posting?

I mean, I'm sorry, but when neo-nazi **** gets posted and upvoted here, someone should bring that up, no, regardless of who was doing the posting?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:52 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The party is transitioning to kooky extremism

That seems like projection.. this presidential campaign is seeing one party careen to kooky extremism, and it's not the Dems..
oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 11:33 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
That seems like projection.. this presidential campaign is seeing one party careen to kooky extremism, and it's not the Dems..

You are mistaken. It is the Dems. Their wholesale embrace of anti-Semitism, which you noticed in regards to CI's post and the thumbs-up that it received, is one part of that lurch to kooky extremism.

But don't worry. The Democratic Party will purge themselves of this extremism before they manage to return to power.

Not related to your post, but I had made a factual post about Brazil NOT following their own laws, in response to some of the above erroneous suggestions that Brazil's antics were just a matter of different countries having different laws. I wonder why it disappeared. I suppose I need to contact the hamsters.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 12:19:17