White Male Privilege Is Why We Laugh At Lochte And Vilify Douglas

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 11:04 pm
@snood,
What has your ass got to do with what this guy has lost beyond the potential loss of endorsements? His name is now mud.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 09:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What has your ass got to do with what this guy has lost beyond the potential loss of endorsements? His name is now mud.

The loss of his reputation and his potential endorsements he brought on himself, now he needs to face society for its sanctions to punish him. He ought to be stripped of the medal and banned from at least the next Olympics.

His loss of endorsements can't really be that much. If you're looking for a face on your swimming product/event, who do you want: Phipps or Lochte (even if the crime hadn't happened)?

He's also had other run-ins with the authority he skipped over by being wealthy and owning a "white privilege".
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 09:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
His name is now mud.

he brought it on himself. no one else to blame. no reason to feel sorry for him.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:05 am
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/22/490936035/speedo-cancels-its-sponsorship-deal-with-ryan-lochte

Quote:
Speedo USA says it will donate part of Lochte's fee — $50,000 – to Save the Children, earmarked for children in Brazil.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You're spot on, bobsal.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 02:14 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Foofie wrote:

What I have heard on tv regarding white privilege also relates to the white student that has parents that can pay for his/her college, so there is no debt to pay upon graduation. And, the student of color does not have such well heeled parents to the same degree.

I would strongly disagree with that definition. White privilege is an automatic assumption of innocent or benevolent intention granted members of the privileged class compared to those of other classes. A white ten year old boy takes his parent's car, goes joyriding, gets pulled by police - innocent prank done by precocious youngster, something to laugh at. A black ten year old boy takes his parent's car, goes joyriding, gets pulled by police - juvenile heading towards a life of crime, likely due to poor parenting. (I've seen side by side interviews on a morning show with this exact scenario.)

You're a fine one to talk Ollie; I would guess that in the white society that your are part of (like it or not), many Gentiles do think that you have Jewish "smarts," while being somewhat deodorized, so to speak, by your other lineage. What should that be called? Mixed marriage privilege? In fact, one could make an argument that Obama had mixed race privilege.

And, let's be intellectually honest, as long as there are folks with a Eurocentric orientation, white (aka, European) privilege will continue to exist. Like I said earlier, "market forces." And, other than African countries, please show me a country that offers Black folk as much opportunity as the U.S.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 02:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Two more companies have dropped Lochte today.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 02:36 pm
Quote:
please show me a country that offers Black folk as much opportunity as the U.S.

Yeah, they were even nice enough to come and give us a ride here to start giving us all that opportunity. Why, black people shouldn't have anything to say to white corporate power but "Thank you, suh".
Foofie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 03:01 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:
please show me a country that offers Black folk as much opportunity as the U.S.

Yeah, they were even nice enough to come and give us a ride here to start giving us all that opportunity. Why, black people shouldn't have anything to say to white corporate power but "Thank you, suh".

Well, since the Pharohs in the Exodus story were Black Africans (Arabs came more than a millenium later), and if you subscribe to any portion of it as true, then one would have to say that Hebrews were the same complexion as the Royal family, so Moses, taken out of the bullrushes, did not stand out like a sore thumb so to speak. My point being, Jews (aka, Hebrews) are basically a mutt today, with a fair percentage due to rapes. That being the case, the need to focus on past injustices is just counter productive. But, if you need to hold a grudge with dead white men, be my guest. It might be analogous to when in basic training, during the Vietnam Era, a Southerner called out, "The South shall rise again." And, some Northern guys would just mutter to each other that "they" (Southern whites) are still fighting the Civil War. I guess one could make an argument that American Blacks are still dealing with the Middle Passage. Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm (Don't that beat all!).

You can thank "white corporate power" more definitively for developing a form of business that has outlasted the original owner, so others can have jobs; that is the value of corporate America as taught by my management professor.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 03:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
https://twitter.com/i/moments/767751858664374272

All four sponsors drop Lochte after Rio robbery scandal
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 04:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
four sponsors drop Lochte after Rio robbery scandal

Too bad, but he needed to face the music for once in his white privileged life.
snood

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 04:55 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:
four sponsors drop Lochte after Rio robbery scandal

Too bad, but he needed to face the music for once in his white privileged life.

That's all I've been saying. Somehow, CI liked what you said, but didn't like what I said. Weird.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 05:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
In order to assist CI in understanding about the poor guy, I spent an hour trying to find whatever article I read that said essentially that many over time didn't like him, way before this episode - not that that makes a case as lots of people don't like lots of people, it's the way of the world, but to point that there was history. Eh, I didn't find it.

Another article I read figured he'll bounce back (that was a few days ago); probably in The Guardian, but by now I'm dizzy from even quickly rereading all this stuff.

I'm mixed in that I think he is slick and, yes, privileged, and a long time smoothie. On the other hand, the actual situation isn't the worst thing it the world, as the folks in Rio agree; the question is about real or fake redemption after all the pulling of sponsors re the flat out lying. I have my own guess/projection.

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 05:06 pm
@snood,
Yeh, me too, I posted the same just before you did.
snood

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 05:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Still kinda funny, though. I say "Poor guy, my ass." CI's reply - "What's your ass got to do with it?" Very Happy !
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 05:20 pm
@snood,
Yeh, but he corrected me that he didn't mean it about money, which of course I knew. Ah well, he's moved to a newer viewpoint.

What does your ass have to do with it - sounds like a song.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 12:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
what everybody who supports him don't seem to get is that he felt privileged to do it, he felt privileged to lie about it. He'd have been arrested if he did it and was drunk at the time here in the US. He felt he could get away with it in Brazil.

He'll bounce back but he needs some sanctions and time to "think about it" first.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 12:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Most certainly the USA should invade Brasil and first change the national language there from Portuguese to American English!

That is a very nice idea (we could civilize them too while we're at it), but they really aren't worth the trouble that it would cost us to go to war.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 12:43 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
And how he couldn't own what he did so he had to lie about being robbed at gunpoint.

He didn't lie about that. The guy pointed his gun at him and took his money. Armed robbery is a perfectly straightforward conclusion.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 12:57 pm
@snood,
I think he misunderstood where you were coming from. CI and you and Osso are three people I respect very much here.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 07:03:19