writing ( 18 )

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:27 pm
Are you afraid like me ?

She opened the door and screamed, " ( Sandra ) , dear , I'm going to the post office to ask about my pension salary.Would you please take care of the house until I'm back.You are my angel , dear ".Then , she closed the door and took my arm trying not to trip over . The truth is that Mrs.(Bankroft ) didn't like the street and it seemed that the street didn't like her either.Her ankle sprained one or twice .

We walked a couple of steps on that calm street , where is nobody except the sleeping old man , as usual. When we got far enough , she looked back and whispered , " so that nobody could hear what we are sayig ". I didn't need any explanation anyway , it was obvious.But I hated walking on a street while a woman was holding my arm . Especially if she was the maid of the queen ( Aiah Hattab ) .

I asked her as I breathed quickly , " why do you think that those two are pretending ?". She said as she was breathing quickly too , " there are some little mistakes in her talking which I didn't like . mistakes that you don't care to know about, but there are too much".

( the original story by an Eygptian writer )

questions:

1) Can I use yell instead of scream?.I think when someone yells he does it in purpose not like scream.

2 ) Can I say mail office instead of post office ?

3 ) Can I say stumble instead of trip over, or it would be awkward here?

4 ) Is there any difference between heave and gasp ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 387 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:31 am
1. I would use shout

2 In America, we use post office

3. stumble or trip over would suffice

4. I couldn't find the context in which "heave/gasp" was used, but I can suggest that the word "gasp" denotes an element of surprise, while "heave" can mean several things.

(My ISP keeps bumping me.)
0 Replies