Hiking Sticks

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:12 am
In a couple of weeks, I am coming up north to do some hiking. When I was out west last year, I noticed that a number of people had hiking sticks. Some were of the wooden type, while others looked like aluminum ski poles.

Now, I am not talking about major league hiking. I plan to attempt some moderate trails, something that I have not done in a number of years. My aerobic capacity is great....................therefore I can climb without much problem. It's getting down that causes me problems, as my balance is, shall we say, not the greatest. Embarrassed

I thought that maybe if I got myself one of those hiking sticks, it might make the entire process easier. Have any of you used these sticks? Any thoughts about wooden vs. aluminum sticks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,330 • Replies: 44
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:30 am
I've used branches found at the side of the trail. I think, unless you're nursing an old injury, the effect is mainly psychological. Then again, I haven't hiked in years, but I recall what was really important was having a good pair of boots and breaking them in, long before heading onto the trail.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:43 am
Quote:
the effect is mainly psychological

Most probably. But I AM a klutz, and I think that I would do much better with the support. I have used branches on trails, but I could never find one that was right.

Actually, I could kick myself. I was cleaning up under my camphor tree after Frances, and there was a small branch that would have made a perfect pole. But it was too darn hot, and I was tired, so I ended up cutting it up!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:37 am
Here's one: http://store.clemetparks.com/product59.html

Do you have Walking Stores where you live, Phoenix? I'm sure they'd have them.

Here's another: http://www.walkerswarehouse.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WW-6040&Category_Code=WCEQ&Store_Code=124
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:17 am
Oh, Rats! I make a real nice maple hiking staff, and would send you one, but no way can I produce one that soon.

Needless to say, I prefer wood, especially at high altitude where an extra lightning rod is unwelcome. Still, I saw someone packing on a very steep, rocky trail with a pair of aluminum poles, designed much like cross country ski poles. I got to borrow them for a stiff 30 or 40 feet uphill, and they were much better than my single 5' staff. The system ties up both hands, of course.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:21 am
Hiking poles is maybe the best price for quality stuff, if you want to go this route.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:51 am
Quote:
Do you have Walking Stores where you live, Phoenix?

Swimpy- Nope...there's not much altitude here, and the nearest thing that you could get to a walking pole round these parts is a cane! Laughing

In the meantime, I did order something online. I was not looking to spend a lot of money:

Link to Walking pole.

Quote:
Includes a rubber tip guard for indoor travels.

May come in handy someday! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:18 am
Get Trendy...
The "Graphite Perambulation Pole 330X" (available from "The SHOPPER IMAGE" catalog, $199.00) is made of a carbon fiber and polyresin composite.
For an additional fee, the pole can be "personalized" with monogram or name (priced per letter)... or to be on the cutting edge, you can customize the pole in various ways with custom graphics and colors.

One can't be seen wandering about with a mere stick...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:27 am
Magus - Ohmygawd! I am going to have to hide, in abject shame and embarrassment, if a "real" hiker with a $200- stick comes by! Laughing

(I am going to check out that stick that you mentioned, just for the hell of it!)
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
(Fee... perhaps the lack of a "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon has led you astray... note the spelling of "The SHOPPER IMAGE".)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:48 am
Oh, I caught that........I simply "translated" in my mind.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:56 pm
I like using walking sticks. Besides being helpful on unlevel ground, they're good for whacking pine cones around when you're bored, or even lifting the occassional rattlesnake off the trail.

You might cut some and try them out for your preferred length before you settle for one on your long hike. I like mine to be a little longer than a cane so I can put my hand on the top. If you grip the stick around the side, you'll find it extremely hard on the wrist, and you will probably throw it away after a short while.

I bought stick from a guy outside a state park in Florida that he cut from a tree—I think he said it was a melaleuca, so they're good for something—that has a side branch for a handle, and it's perfect. I also cut a small cypress tree for reserve sticks. If you do that, bear in mind that, though the stick weighs a lot at first, when it dries out it loses about half the weight.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:44 pm
I made 2 out of pawlonia. Its a very light but tuff wood revered by the Japanese for folk boxes. I turned them so that they have a thicker handle and about an inch and a half stick, and they are just slightly higher than my chest. Whenever I have to trek geophysical equipment into a rough terrain I always have the 3 point of contact that they provide for safety.

You can get some ideas from forestry supply catalogs in which the tree pros use sticks to carry measuring devices and provide a bit more stability.
If your carying gear, walking sticks are almost a must have. Ive been using em for years
Those telescoping Al ones are nice looking but, if you walk alot, they are kind of flimsy and too springy for my taste
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:16 pm
I make hiking sticks out of diamond willow.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:19 pm
They look like this....

http://www.sticksite.com/23s24.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:47 pm
Mine are considerably more formal, being routed into an 8 sided cross section, usually around 1" thick and 1 1/4 wide at the top. They taper towards the bottom. No pictures, though.

I'm trying to get a checkering technique under control, but a stick needs a coarser pattern than a gunstock, and the coarsest standard checkering pattern is 16 lines per inch, which is a bit rough on the hand after a few miles. There are skip line spacing tools available for the 18 line spacing, but 1/9th inch is too awkward to contemplate. Anyone with suggestions or checkering experience, feel free to jump right in.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:33 am
My latest project, Roger, involves Celtic knotwork near the top. For example, look at the two canes pictured. The area from the rope to the first knot will be drilled and carved into a serpentining knotwork pattern.

Have you ever seen such a thing?

Or am I revolutinizing the walking stick industry?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:36 am
gus and rog- My, but you guys are talented. (The pics that you posted, Gus, are gorgeous).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
Rog-do use power carving ? or are you a chip carver?

Ive had the same 2 walking sticks for 2 years. I lost my last set when someone at camp burned them as starter . That why I carve hand grips and turn them so they dont get confused with firewood like the more rustic looking ones.

I really like pawlonia, if you live North of New Jersey, it doesnt grow wild like it does down here. Its light as a feather but tough as locust (it does scratch easily though)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
Gus, I couldn't even tie a Celtic knot, let alone tie one.

In fact, I don't carve at all. The business end of a checkering tool is a small 60 degree file ranging in length from around 3/16" to 3/8" long.

I'm south of New Jersey, but haven't heard of pawlonia. Sounds like good stuff.
0 Replies