What does "cause of action in tort" mean?

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:13 am
If someone could help me, I would appriciate it.

Idle v. City Co- a 1980 decision by the highest court of state A where the court created a cause of action in tort for the wrongful destruction of business records. The court ruled that a cause of action exists if the records were destroyed in anticipation of or while a workers' compensation claim was pending. The court also held that a cause of action exists if the destruction was intentional or negligent.

A 1989 state A statute- a law passed by the legistature of state A that created a cause of action in tort for the intentional destruction of vusiness records. The statute provides that a cause of action exists if the destruction occurs in anticipation of or while a workers' compensation claim is pending.

What does "cause of action in tort" mean, exactly, in each case? In the first case, does it mean that there already was a tort law in place that the judge used for his ruling? Was there already precedence set?

Would Idle v. City Co. be a primary authority that could be used in a preceding court case in the same situation, or not, because of the enacted law by legislation a year later? It sounds like legislation took the tort law of Idle V. City Co. and enacted legislation by it. Would that allow the case to be used in other court cases, since it is sounds the same as the enacted law a year later? Or could it not be legally used because there is now an enacted law on the same subject?

I am studying law for the first time, and any help would be appriciated.
thank you-dawnmarie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,219 • Replies: 5
No top replies

breeezz

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:28 pm
Hi Dawnmarie,

Good questions. I started answering based on my experience as a litigation secretary, but as is so often the case with the practice of law, the more I thought about it the more I realized how much I didn't know. All that really helps me with this set of questions is realizing that the law changes constantly as cases are decided. But maybe this can be a better starting point for you: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Tort. At least it does have a lot of cross-links.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:43 pm
Quote:
tort
n. from French for "wrong," a civil wrong or wrongful act, whether intentional or accidental, from which injury occurs to another. Torts include all negligence cases as well as intentional wrongs which result in harm. Therefore tort law is one of the major areas of law (along with contract, real property and criminal law) and results in more civil litigation than any other category. Some intentional torts may also be crimes, such as assault, battery, wrongful death, fraud, conversion (a euphemism for theft) and trespass on property and form the basis for a lawsuit for damages by the injured party. Defamation, including intentionally telling harmful untruths about another-either by print or broadcast (libel) or orally (slander)-is a tort and used to be a crime as well.

Quote:
cause of action
n. the basis of a lawsuit founded on legal grounds and alleged facts which, if proved, would constitute all the "elements" required by statute. Examples: to have a cause of action for breach of contract there must have been an offer of acceptance; for a tort (civil wrong) there must have been negligence or intentional wrongdoing and failure to perform; for libel there must have been an untruth published which is particularly harmful; and in all cases there must be a connection between the acts of the defendant and damages. In many lawsuits there are several causes of action stated separately, such as fraud, breach of contract, and debt, or negligence and intentional destruction of property.

Both definitions are from law.com Law Dictionary

You can find this dictionary, other (legal) referencies etc under various topics in the A2K Portal. :wink:

Ehem - and welcome here, dawnmarie and breeezz!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:44 pm
It sounds to me -- a layman -- that the first instance was a case not covered by any existing law. That is why it went to the state's highest court -- there was no precdent for Idle bringing this suit against City Co. The high court ruled that a cause for action does exist, in spite of the fact that no specific legislation covers it. In all likelihood (although your quotes don't say so), it was this case and, perhaps, other cases like it which, nine years later, caused the state legislature to enact a statute covering the destruction of such records.

As I say, this is a layman's reading of it. Some one like Jespah or Joefrom Chicago, lawyers, should review my answer.

And let me join Walter in welcoming you to A2K.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:54 pm
Re: What does "cause of action in tort" mean?
dawnmarie wrote:
If someone could help me, I would appriciate it.

Idle v. City Co- a 1980 decision by the highest court of state A where the court created a cause of action in tort for the wrongful destruction of business records. The court ruled that a cause of action exists if the records were destroyed in anticipation of or while a workers' compensation claim was pending. The court also held that a cause of action exists if the destruction was intentional or negligent.

A 1989 state A statute- a law passed by the legistature of state A that created a cause of action in tort for the intentional destruction of vusiness records. The statute provides that a cause of action exists if the destruction occurs in anticipation of or while a workers' compensation claim is pending.

What does "cause of action in tort" mean, exactly, in each case?

A "cause of action" is a legally cognizable claim that a plaintiff may bring against a defendant. A "tort" is a civil wrong.

Quote:
In the first case, does it mean that there already was a tort law in place that the judge used for his ruling? Was there already precedence set?

The 1980 case entitled Idle v. City Co. was a case wherein the court determined an issue of first impression. This was the first time that the court recognized the existence of the tort of intentional or negligent destruction of business records. There was no prior precedent. Idle v. City Co. established "case law" that serves as primary authority and as a precedent for subsequent cases involving intentional and negligent destruction of business records.

However, the legislature enacted a statute nine years later in 1989. The statute only recognizes a cause of action in tort for intentional destruction of business records. The later statute supercedes prior case law. Therefore, by enacting the statute, the legislature has effectively abolished the tort of negligent destruction of business records.

In other words, in cases arising after the effective date of the statute (in 1989), the courts of state A will no longer recognize the mere negligent destruction as a legally cognizable claim. A defendant's mere negligence is not enough to establish a claim. The plaintiff must prove intentional destruction.

Quote:
Would Idle v. City Co. be a primary authority that could be used in a preceding [sic] [should be in subsequent] court case[s] in the same situation, or not, because of the enacted law by legislation a year later?

Idle v. City Co. would be primary authority from the time the case was decided (in 1980) until it was superceded by statute (in 1989). The case can still be cited, however, as authority for its legal reasoning or guidelines as applied to the tort of intentional destruction of business records.

Quote:
It sounds like legislation took the tort law of Idle V. City Co. and enacted legislation by it. Would that allow the case to be used in other court cases, since it is sounds the same as the enacted law a year later? Or could it not be legally used because there is now an enacted law on the same subject?

As noted previously, the "case law" was superceded by "statutory law." The state no longer recognizes the tort of negligent destruction; The state only recognizes the tort of intentional destruction. Therefore, Idle v. City Co. can only be used as authority in subsequent cases concerning the issue of INTENTIONAL destruction of business records.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:03 am
Excellent point, Debra. I had missed the fact that the state law recognizes only intentional destruction of records as actionable, not both intentional and negligent, as the case law would have it.
0 Replies