The Party Is Over - Is the UK turning away from the USA?

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:53 am
In today's The Telegraph, a conservative British, I've found an article, which might be more alarming than it looks like at the first glance (remember: it's not a tabloid paper! - Since you have to register, I've copied and pasted the article here):

<<
The party's over for Tupperware after 40 years
By Becky Barrow
(Filed: 24/01/2003)

The fate of the Tupperware party has been sealed. Forty years after the ubiquitous plastic container first arrived on these shores, its American owners have called it a day.

Tupperware's 1,700 British staff, who demonstrate products such as the Wonderlier bowl at parties around the country, were told on Wednesday that the fun will stop in March.

While Tupperware parties will continue around the world from Argentina to Japan, a company spokesman said that the British parties are being closed down.

Jane Garrard, a vice-president of Tupperware, which claims to hold a party every two seconds somewhere in the world, said: "As it is currently structured, the parties do not seem to appeal to the British consumer."

The company is planning to sell its products through more conventional means in Britain. She said: "We believe there's still a very strong demand for our product, it's really just the manner of distribution."

The end of the Tupperware party, an icon of suburban living that used to be a regular fixture for British housewives, means that similar parties organised by Ann Summers will be one of the few remaining examples of this type of selling.

About 4,000 Ann Summers women-only parties take place each week in this country, selling anything from lingerie to edible body paints and sex toys.

Val Daley, who has been a Tupperware distributor for more than 20 years, described the decision as "very sad." She told BBC Radio 5 Live: "From my point of view, we have very loyal customers and hostesses that I had for a long, long time. I love the products and the business. It is such a lot of fun."

Tupperware parties started in America in 1948 inspired by Brownie Wise, a single mother from Detroit, and her mother, Rose, who organised "hostess parties" to sell anything from "ketchup pumps" to "ashtrays with a brain".

Earl Tupper, who founded the eponymous company in 1946, found that shop sales of his products were not going well and, five years later, switched entirely to the mother and daughter party scheme.

Brownie Wise was the first woman to appear on the front cover of the magazine Business Week.

Organisers of the parties are encouraged to think up themes for each gathering, with suggestions such as "Get more from your microwave" and "Gifts that keep on giving".

Listed on the New York stock exchange, Tupperware has cult status among some of its users for its seemingly endless range of products.

It also inspires devotion among its workers. Lisa Williams, a unit manager, said: "Mum physically dragged me to a Tupperware party, booked my own demonstration for me and that was the beginning of my Tupperware story.

"The products inspired me, demonstrating gave me back much of the confidence I had lost and my husband had back the career-orientated woman that he had first met."

It has inspired a book, Tupperware: The Promise of Plastic in 1950s America by Alison J Clarke, and its own language: a Tupperware "burp" involves releasing air from a food storage container to make it airtight.

There are no plans to shut down the parties in any of the other 100 countries where they take place. More than one million people work for Tupperware's sales force.

In America, more than 85 per cent of sales still come from the parties, but not in Britain.

"We wish that we knew the magic answer. Clearly, the way that we had the parties structured was not working," said a Tupperware spokesman. >>

Telegraph
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,383 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:52 am
Lol, you had me a little worried when you started by saying the article which followed was alarming!

Still, my childhood is full of memories of being given juice in the same tall pastel coloured tupperware cups in everybody's house I went to visit! I guess it must have been the cheapest thing available, as all mums felt obliged to buy something when attending a tupperware party Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:54 am
Oh dear what ever shall we do - the sky is falling, the sky is falling and the Brits are leaving us and what are they to do now those poor homemakers in the UK?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:47 am
Walter<

Interesting to me that this topic should appear as a new store called Tupperware has just opened in a large mall in my area. Needless to say, it carries only Tupperware Exclamation
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 02:37 pm
The UK and the USA will always be like peas in a pod. Didn't the UK give birth to the USA long, long ago! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 02:42 pm
Just last weekend, I saw a Tupperware display in the local Target Store, so I'm inclined to believe that the parties, but not the Tupperware are going the way of the Fuller Brush Man. There are just too many families with two wage earners to support this kind of personalized marketing.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 03:13 pm
New Haven wrote:
The UK and the USA will always be like peas in a pod. Didn't the UK give birth to the USA long, long ago! Very Happy

More like an attempted Partial Birth Abortion... :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 11:06 am
Walter, we Brits may see the demise of the Tupperwear Party, but thankfully we still have the Kleene-E-Zee man. He calls at the house every 2 weeks, leaves a brochure and an order form. Picks 'em back up 2 days later and then delivers the order a few days after that. Where he was spawed I've no idea, but he's alive and well and my wife thinks he's very usefull.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:53 pm
We have quite a few dessous parties going since a couple years. They seem to be much more attractive than tupperware, but as far as I've heard, no men are allowed.
0 Replies