Classes for webdesign

jodig

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:55 am
Hi!

I'm posting on this website to get a little advice. I am about to
finish a master's degree in Educational (Instructional) technology.
However, what I am most interested in is webdesign. Right now I am a
full time teacher, but my goal would be to eventually move down to
part time and do some webdesign from home. What is the best way to
learn all of the appropriate technogies that most buyers would want?
The junior college here offers basic classes such as Dreamweaver,
html, flash, fireworks, etc. But, when I go online to sites like
elance most companies who are hiring seem to want more than that.
Should I take some of those online "teach yourself" courses, buy
books, or actually spend the money to go to a graphic design school
that specializes in web design. I am a pretty quick learn and most of
these types of programs come to me pretty intuitively, but I just
wanted to know if buyers would be looking for an actual certificate,
or if they just want to see what you can do.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hihp

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:13 am
Re: Classes for webdesign
jodig wrote:
What is the best way to learn all of the appropriate technogies that most buyers would want?

Okay, so this is purely my personal opinion and not based on anything, okay?

I'd say learn it yourself. There's plenty stuff on the web. Learn HTML and CSS. Don't depend on programs like Dreamweaver or something like that; the only good code is code you wrote by hand. It's much less cluttered, sans all the unnecessary stuff, plus you know what you are doing. Oh, and make sure to always produce valid HTML.

When you can do that, look into writing automatically-generated content. They keywords here are PHP and MySQL, or, if you really want to, ASP.

As I said, my purely personal opinion.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:37 am
"the only good code is code you wrote by hand"

Yeah, but in most cases, no one cares how good the code is. If they're a huge company, they'll want something clean that gives them 1% more hits on google. If they're not a huge company, they'll only care how fast you can put it up, and how artistically correct it is. They'll always benefit from good, clean code, but you'll make more money from writing quick and dirty code.

Disclaimer: I know very little about web design, but the only page I've ever made, just fiddling around, still gets 27,000 visits per month. I'd say learn Dreamweaver, and you'll pick up raw html on the way. Implement open-source php apps from sourceforge.net (this discussion board probably comes from there.) By then you'll have opinions about what seems fun to you. You need to learn the freaky stuff, but you can't get there without mastering, presumably for years, the basics.
0 Replies

random sunspots

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 05:06 pm
I'm a part-time professional web designer and developer so I might be able to give you a few pointers.
Competition is stiff. You have be good at what you do, you must love what you do and you must have a desire to improve. Web design, as I see it, is more about having a sense of esthetics, colors, shapes and proportions since anyone can learn the techniques, but the artistic eye is harder to get. I don't think there's such a thing as talent, what matters is your enthusiasm. Naturally, an interested in arts and graphic design is a requirement, you will learn from what you see, ads on busses, commercials on tv and product packaging.
I'm not a great artist, on a daily basis I do see work that makes me feel like a total newbie still I could, at this point, make my part-time business a full-time job.
But you have to love what you do, to me, working creatively on the computer is recreational, helps me relax and focus on other things. I always have side projects, I always have ideas lying around that I try, I always see things I want to try or learn from. I've made it a point of analyzing good design I see, to learn what makes it tick.

As for techniques, get good books and get some hands-on experience, it's a time-saver. Reason we do things so quickly is because we learnt the shortcuts.
Subscribe to a mailing list on web design, read stuff in related fields, subscribe to a mag on art and graphic design, subscribe to a mag on computers and programming. Find inspiration and try it out and you'll eventually develop your own style and make yourself a name.
0 Replies