Help with college persuit

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:46 pm
I wanna major in Political Science or become a sports writer. Can anyone offer any Southern Universities that are renowned for their Political Science program or good at training sports writers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 707 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:54 pm
Duke University is the only school I know of in the Political Science area that would qualify as "Southern".

Do a Google search on "Vanguard Rankings". They run a list of "Top 100" schools in the US for various degrees.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:53 pm
I'm taking the ACT test in about a month, and any tips would make me love you.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:19 pm
Study hard! Wink lol

I'm not all that famaliar with the ACTs. I know there are a lot of study guides out there but I have no idea how well people do using them.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
The most important parts of your preparation should already have taken place. If you've paid attention in your various classes, completed all assignments and done a bit of study into each subject on your own, you're probably in good shape. In the final run-up to the examination, you may want to review those subjects where you are weakest. I would put all outside distractions on hold until after the testing is completed. Use the time wisely.

The day before the test put away all study materials, and take a holiday. Take in a relaxing film, or spend the day beside a secluded stream. Eat lightly during the day, and avoid alcohol/drugs. Get your system clean. In the early evening have a great dinner. Not large, but that caters to your appreciation of fine food. Go to bed early, and get a good night's sleep. Arise early and after a leisurely toilet, have a light breakfast. Dress perhaps just a bit better than usual, and leave for the test site with plenty of time to spare. Carry with you extra pencils, notepaper, and, if you can manage it, a $100 in your purse. I know that much of this may not make immediate sense to you, but there are good reasons for all of this advice.

You should already be a veteran of testing, and discovered the best tactics for doing them. I like to zip through the test quickly answering every question that I'm sure of with next to no thought. My second pass is a more careful reading of the problems, and another group of answers will be evident and completed. On the third pass, I consider the two, or occasionally three, most likely answers in multiple choice and select the best answer. The fourth pass is for working out the math, or complex thinking needed to answer questions requiring that level of consideration. It is usually on the fourth pass that I'll address essay type questions and move from the easiest to the hardest.

At this point, I will have answered almost every question. It is then time to review questions and answers. By this point I'll have already had both questions and answers under my eye several times. Reviewing each question and answer goes quickly, and I'll catch some errors or early misreading of the questions. I fix the problems as I come to them, but if in doubt I leave my original answer alone.

The last effort is to go through the small number of remaining questions where I haven't a clue, or the intent of the question isn't clear to me. On this final pass, I just make my best guess as to what the proper answer should be.

This may sound complicated, but it really isn't nor does it take long if you've properly prepared. Normally, I'm the first or second in a test section to complete whatever test is being given, and my average is usually well over 90% correct. I once had a 99. I think my lowest score was around 84% early in my academic career, and I had been drinking the night before.

Relax, and be confident in your preparation. Worry and second-guessing only slow you down and cause mistakes. Go into the examination knowing that you will excel, and that you are going to be a top finalist. Piece of cake, really. Go get'em tiger.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
Study hard is always the answer, but I'm hoping for some magic juice that I can put on my eyes and will reveal the right answer.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:26 pm
Thanks Asherman, I love you.
0 Replies