Beneficiary dispute (MD)

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
My husband changed the beneficiary of his life insurance to his daughter one week before he passed away. I was the beneficiary for many years only to find after his death that this was changed without notifying me. I feel that his goal in life was to take care of me after his death and we paid the premiums together. We were on the (outs) and I feel that this was done to spite me. On what grounds can I contest this? I feel that I deserve this money and would like to recover it if possible. Thanks for the help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 542 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:40 pm
Widow--

Welcome to A2K.

I don't have any legal expertise, but I think you would have to prove that your husband was of diminished capacity or that your daughter had an unnatural influence over his actions.

There are people here who know more than I do.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:50 pm
Run, do not walk, to a lawyer's office and pose your question to them. Try to find one that deals with "estates", "probate issues" etc..

It may be completely legit and you may not be able to get anything out of it but it's possible that circumstances could void the change too.

Insurance policies are different from a will. You can't contest it based on what you may have paid into it or what is "fair". You may find that you can challenge the change if he had diminished mental capacity or if he was coherced into making the change but a lawyer would be able to dicuss the specifics with you much more fully.
0 Replies