The Bible Made Me Do It.

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:00 am
Today's newspaper reports that a "Clark County man appeared Tuesday in Superior Court on an accusation of first-degree assault of a child after police said he tried to circumcise his 8 year-old son with a knife.

Edwin B. Baxter, 33, was ordered held in the Clark County Jail on $50,000 bail. He is scheduled to be arraigned Sept. 17.

Medics and police went to Baxter's home Friday after he called 9-1-1, alarmed at his son's loss of blood, according to court documents. Baxter told authorities he had read two passages in the Bible about the practice and decided to circmcise his son, the document said.

The boy was treated at Southwest Washington Medical Center and later released."

Was the man practicing his religion in a way that he saw fit or is he guilty of assault? What do you think the court will decide?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,005 • Replies: 7
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
Re: The Bible Made Me Do It.
boomerang wrote:
Was the man practicing his religion in a way that he saw fit or is he guilty of assault?

Why can't it be both?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
I suppose it can be both - but one would most likely end up with him in jail and the other wouldn't.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:56 am
Stupid stupid man! I think they should throw the book at him just because he's so stupid. He hurt his baby because of something he read. Again, stupid stupid man!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:03 am
Circumcisions, if desired, should be done either by people who have been trained in the practice, or surgeons. I think that the man should be tried for assault. To me, circumsizing a child yourself is about as rational as a parent pulling a permanent tooth, or taking out a kid's tonsils.

This guy deserves to be punished. He could have maimed, or even killed the kid!

Quote:
Baxter told authorities he had read two passages in the Bible about the practice and decided to circmcise his son, the document said.

Would he stone his wife if he caught her cheating? Why not? It says so in the Bible! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
I'm curious to know what the two Bible passages he read were. Does anybody know?

I think the father probably did psychologically maim his kid. This boy was 8 years old and his father took a knife to his penis. At 8 the boy was certainly old enough to offer some resistence so I imagine that the conversation leading to this was quite interesting.

A literal interpretation of the Bible is certainly problematic.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
I would dearly love to be the judge in this case. I'd read this guy the passage that says, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth," then sentence him to have his penis sliced.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:34 pm
More fun circumcision discussions.
0 Replies