Geology 101 Help

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:37 pm
Hi everyone,
I am a student taking an intro to geology course for the summer. I am studying for an upcoming exam using a study guide provided by my teacher and I can't for the life of me find the answer to this question.
1. When country rock falls into a magma chamber portions of the rock melt through the process of ____ (assimilation/differentiation).
I can't figure out what the difference between assimilation, and differentiation in terms of geology is. Nothing on the internet that I have found even mentions country rock. I've looked through the chapters and neither is adressed in the book. Might be a dumb question with an obvious explanation but I would really appreciate the help.
Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 07:51 am
@kpat1210,
Drop the course, asap - Or you'll be bored and without intimate relationships forever.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 08:13 am
@kpat1210,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_rock_(geology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igneous_differentiation

Took me five minutes and I'm not even taking your class.

Wikipedia is not a good primary source but it can often lead to good primary sources or at least give you synonyms and proper spellings so you can Google better.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 08:24 am
@jespah,
funny but I got an article about Hank Williams Jr when I clicked on your country rock thingy.
Id suggest the kid look in the
Glossary of Geology" (5th ed). It hs the specific use of the two terms (And its really unimportant because noone is that particular about the difference). Both terms could be valid uner specific environments .

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 08:27 am
@farmerman,
Because Wikipedia does a lousy job with parentheses in URL titles. If you copy the entire title, including the parentheses and the words therein, you get to the right article. Or just go to Wikipedia and look up country rock geology.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 08:31 am
@jespah,
I saw your parens. I till thinks it evokes a quiet smile. (Actully Hank Williams Jr wasnt even mentioned in the whole dam article)
They c;aimed that Dylan started Country Rock. Thats total stuff. Wikepedia often haS ITS- head- up- its -ass by not editing a bit
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 09:14 am
Country rock was started before Dylan even made records.
0 Replies