want to switch from Geophysicist to Geologist

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:13 am
Hello everyone, my name is Anand Pal. i have completed M.S. in Geology and currently working for a consulting firm as a Geophysicist to gain some experience, i just want to know if i am applying for the post of Geologist in any company would they consider my experience as Geophysicist?

companies not hiring entry level geologist these day so i am working in this consulting firm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 950 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 02:29 pm
@GeoExplorer,
are you in the us? are you in a state that licenses geologists and geophysicists?

being persistent is part of the hiring script.
mark noble

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 07:14 am
@GeoExplorer,
Go for archaeology - Geology is for idiots.
Rocks and variations thereof... wow!
Worse than being a taxi-driver, imo.
Easy to learn, though - A 45 minute course will get you a pointless Degree in it.
GeoExplorer

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 11:52 am
@farmerman,
i am in india.
0 Replies

GeoExplorer

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 11:56 am
@mark noble,
may be you are right i should try in archaeology as well, thank for your concern. Smile
GeoExplorer

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
here in india you need to have minimum 3 years of experience in the field to become a certified Geologist, and most of the companies hiring freshers from campus while others who have not been selected in campus placements or do not have work experience are struggling for a job.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 01:26 pm
@GeoExplorer,
will you attain relevent experience as a field geophysicist or are you just deploying geophones or resistivity probes?
Someone is your boss no?

Must that boss sign off your experience and must you sit for a test for your license?

I dont see any way to shorten that. Here in US we give a year for a year for each year of grd school (up to 3 years), the other 8 years must be in service
under a licensed geo. Also, you must collect 14 ed credits every 2 years to keep your license current.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 07:30 am
@GeoExplorer,
Good for you!
You may just discover something awesome and have it suppressed by your sponsors - Rather than looking at stone-physics.
0 Replies