Yankees embarrass themselves ....

angie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:28 am
C'mon !

Whinebrenner wants a forfeit ? Is he THAT desperate for a win or two ?

Whatever happened tp playing the game ?

How pathetic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:32 am
the man has a home in tampa.
they're spring training complex is in tampa.
his "braintrust" is in tampa.

shame on you, swinebrenner...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:23 pm
Where are all the Yankee fans ?

I guess this latest move of George's is indefensible.

I know the Sox have a huge budget as well, but there's huge, and there's HUGE, and I would give it up in a minute for a cap and a level playing field.

Whinebrenner has such an advantage, I really don't know how Yankee fans can know this and still feel good about winning.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:02 pm
well, well, looks like Whinebrenner has been shamed into giving up

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/251/sports/Yankees_withdraw_forfeit_reque:.shtml
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:13 pm
it was an exercise in futility from the start.
had they been, say, 10 1/2 games up instead of 2 1/2 they prolly wouldn't've bothered...

got a chuckle out of the kevin brown wall-punching thing.
he said he intentionally used his non-pitching hand to beat up that innocent facade.
pretty damn selfish thing to do during a pennant race...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:39 am
The ultimate selfish jerk.

And I'm lovin' it !
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:04 am
It proves, to me at least, that he doesn't care about the game at all. Just wants NYY to win. It's bad enough that he outspends all the other owners (and now wants a new stadium so he'll have even more revenue), but at least that's playing by the rules.

But this is beyond that...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:48 pm
If the Players unio would just try to understand that it's not good for the game to have fewer than half the teams in real contention due to obscene spending by the other half.

From what I understand Major League Hockey is about to go through a shake-up or sorts, and it's expected that a cap will come out of it. Baseball is the absolute greatest sport, but I can't imaging being a fan in a place that can never afford to contend.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Agreed re the need for a salary cap in baseball. I'm an Atlanta fan, and I know their payroll is one of the higher ones in baseball, but the team has cut payroll in recent years. Hence the loss of Glavine, Maddox, Sheffield, Lopez. But they're still winning, because of good management of the money they do have to spend.

NYY, on the other hand, can just throw money at players, and when that doesn't work, throw money at other players. It's a joke.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:16 pm
except that, as a Red Sox fan, I'm not laughing ....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
You had to be happy last night. NYY rained out (no doubleheader) and the Red Sox won. Steinbrenner must be furious! NYY only leads by two games....
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:37 pm
oh yes, this town is ecstatic !

the team is playing out of their minds.

even the Pats game tonight is getting just so-so attention.

Pedro looked excellent. He'll be worth his weight in gold at season's end, and believe me, if the Sox' management doesn't get him locked up during the two week grace period after the World Series, Steinbrenner will be frothing at the mouth, checkbook in hand. The thought sickens me, as does the visual.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:50 pm
Oh jeez, I hadn't thought of that (NYY going after Pedro). Because you know, with the sorry state of NYY pitching, Steinbrenner is going to make that his top priority.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:05 pm
After losing Clemens to the creep, this would be just too much to bear.

Pedro seems to harbor special animosity towards the Yankees, however, so I'm hoping he won't cave. It's up to Theo et al; either they pay him or he goes.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:23 pm
pedro in pinstripes?!! i shudder to think...
0 Replies