Cool Effects

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:12 pm
Does anybody know any cool effects I can put on my site to make it look like I know what I'm doing? ;-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,330 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:31 pm
Check these out: http://search.able2know.com/Web_Development/Scripts/JavaScript

IMO, however, most quick "cool effects" do the exact opposite of what you're hoping...they make you look like an amateur Geocities-site developer, while at the same time reducing the usability of your Website & pissing people off.

"Looking like you know what you're doing", at least to someone who does know what he's talking about, will be much more about your site's design, usability, functionality, structure & so forth than special effects.

The most convincing way to accomplish what you asked is to actually invest the time into learning more about what you're doing. Wink
</soapbox>
0 Replies

hihp

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:09 pm
Yeah... want my small list of advice?

- code your HTML yourself - don't use a program to generate it. It's not really hard to learn, and no generated code is as good as well-written men-made code. Plus it's smaller.

- don't use JavaScript. And if you really have to, make sure your site works withotu JavaScript. Believe it or not, people intentionally turn it off, and especially in corporate systems peopel sometimes only are allowed to use old browsers or browsers with deactivated JavaScript.

- cut on the graphics. Don't use graphcis to "put text up so it looks the same for everyone". An important thing to learn is that web pages are not about lookign the same everywhere. They are primarily about content and secondarily looking good everywhere - even if different.

- and finally: no flashing or moving things, and no backgroudn sound unless there's an easy and clearly accessible way to turn it off immediately. Such stuff annoys people and they will leave your site soon.

Just my two cents :-)
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:25 am
Javascript is only good for counters, stats, etc. Don't, pray don't do the javascripts that make pics flying around your mouse. They scare people off.

Cool effects - Try real advanced scripts like ASP/PHP/CGI, etc. Javascript is too easy and just shows you are immature.

Background music is.... well, don't put YOUR fav. music on it. People have different tastes. I have some classic music as background and people seems to deal with it fine. You can check it here -

Edit (Moderator): Link removed

That concludes my advice Smile
0 Replies