Why high school sports are worth watching

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:50 am
After the recent Summer Olympics, I once again find myself looking forward to the upcoming high school sports seasons. If one seeks the purity of a sporting contest, games in which the participants are playing for all the right reasons, high school sports is the ticket.

I used to be just as enthused about college sports, but sadly, these events have become just as stained as professional sports (an exception to this is most woman sports). Take the game of basketball:

Watching the selfish, lazy, and uninspiring play by the men's Olympic team makes me look that much more to high school hoops. For the most part, no prima-donna athletes looking out for only themselves and silly tantrums after a basket. We might not see as many slam dunks or amazing physical feats, but we will see good fundamentals, teamwork, and enthusiasm for something bigger then one's self. Same for high school football. Or softball.

Most of the country will be starting high school football games next Friday night. For the NFL junkie who is becoming a tad tired of the Ricky Williams and Terrell Owens of the game, high school football will be quite a treat.

Try it......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 642 • Replies: 0
No top replies