I sure see it in children, abundantly. And the research confirms that tendency.
But the interesting thing is how few of those raised atheist stay that way. I think it is because they resent that they were kept in the dark and indoctrinated. That too agrees with my experience though many will kinda whitewash their parents out of love. Still, they don't like it.
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Read more at Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
Developmental psychologists have provided evidence that children are naturally tuned to believe in gods of one sort or another.
• Children tend to see natural objects as designed or purposeful in ways that go beyond what their parents teach, as Deborah Kelemen has demonstrated. Rivers exist so that we can go fishing on them, and birds are here to look pretty.
• Children doubt that impersonal processes can create order or purpose. Studies with children show that they expect that someone not something is behind natural order. No wonder that Margaret Evans found that children younger than 10 favoured creationist accounts of the origins of animals over evolutionary accounts even when their parents and teachers endorsed evolution. Authorities' testimony didn't carry enough weight to over-ride a natural tendency.
• Children know humans are not behind the order so the idea of a creating god (or gods) makes sense to them. Children just need adults to specify which one.
• Experimental evidence, including cross-cultural studies, suggests that three-year-olds attribute super, god-like qualities to lots of different beings. Super-power, super-knowledge and super-perception seem to be default assumptions. Children then have to learn that mother is fallible, and dad is not all powerful, and that people will die. So children may be particularly receptive to the idea of a super creator-god. It fits their predilections.
• Recent research by Paul Bloom, Jesse Bering, and Emma Cohen suggests that children may also be predisposed to believe in a soul that persists beyond death.
"and a child will lead them" Is that where you're going with this? Let's all be like the children; innocent and good. And who will guide the children, you? or maybe the Pope? the Grand Poobah of the Jehova's Witlesses?
You copied and pasted this crap in another thread. Is your goal to discredit atheists?[quoteAtheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups][/quote]
I think people either learn to think for themselves or they don't. Without the childhood full of brainwashing, children of atheists make free choices, while those of Christians simply follow the teachings of their parents out of fear or laziness.
I didn't say it was evidence (though it is). Iknow that your type has never recovered from the blow Piaget made to your 'children are just little adults' fantasy but I need my kicks so I tease dullards when things are slow
Doesn't it seem that Children have a natural theism?
No, it doesn't. Quite the opposite is actually true. Children are born without any knowledge of religious dogma. They are naturally inquisitive and learn by observing. They are atheist by definition because they not only don't have any theism, nor are they capable of understanding the concepts as infants. Children only become theists after they are exposed to it by family or culture.
Actually atheists fare the worst says the data. They have the lowest retention rate of any belief system.
Theism is a belief system. Theists include a belief in a god in their life and in their thinking. Atheists do not include a belief in a god into their life and their thinking.
You're confused about which is the belief system.
Thu 30 Jun, 2016 04:40 pm
"Doesn't it seem that Children have a natural theism?"
Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:29 pm
Yes, I broke those bonds and learned to think for myself. Guilty as charged.
It says plenty about you and your kind that you enjoy someone else's pain. You're a Good Christian, I'll give you that.
Sat 2 Jul, 2016 08:21 am
im shocked to the core.... facing people like you stating those biased assessments
to be true is something terrifying.... 2016 and such an irrational and mentally disturbed individuals still exist among us
@maxdancona... where are you now that your are truly needed?!!! come here, you have some studies and statistics you rightfully should claim proof of
Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:06 pm
Why some people have a hard time understanding simple concepts is a mystery. I've always said that "religion is an accident of birth," because most follow the religion of their parents - without question. That's the reason why most Italians are Catholics, and most Japanese in Japan are Buddhist/Shintoist. Chinese in China are Taoist, Confucianist, and Buddhist. Russians are Russian Orthodox. Western countries are mostly christian.