Doesn't it seem that Children have a natural theism?

AugustineBrother

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:46 pm
@nacredambition,
As usual you don't understand the question
nacredambition

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 09:36 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Yowser wowser, 47 posts on your fave (or is that your One and Only) topic in the last 2 hours, give yourself a hand and clasp it firmly to your lips.

Quote:
As usual you don't understand the question

If the answer to your question is predicated upon a belief in an imaginary being then the question is posed by someone with what I consider to be low comprehension skills.
AugustineBrother

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 07:08 am
@nacredambition,
That was my point, the opposite of what you say !! That it is not predicated on anything ! Did you read it, we are talking about little children, many in the study were not even speaking.
glitterbag

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:54 am
@AugustineBrother,
Have you ever raised children???? It's difficult for me to understand how you could possibly think that is true if you ever had to guide a child from birth to maturity.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:42 am
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
Did you read it, we are talking about little children, many in the study were not even speaking.

How do you propose that the children displayed a natural theism in those cases where "many in the study were not even speaking"?
fresco

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:54 am
@nacredambition,
...maybe he noticed that they were clutching their straws !
nacredambition

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 01:09 am
@fresco,
No need to gloss olalia over the evidence.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:35 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
Developmental psychologists have provided evidence that children are naturally tuned to believe in gods of one sort or another.

That's a bunch of bull pucky! Who are these so-called developmental psychologists? Name some, and provide us with their email address.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Sat 23 Jul, 2016 01:37 am
@AugustineBrother,
What a shame that you forgot to provide attribution to Justin L Barrett for his piece published in the Guardian Religion section in 2008.

Wikipedia notes:

Barrett is described in the New York Times as a "prominent member of the byproduct camp" and "an observant Christian who believes in “an all-knowing, all-powerful, perfectly good God who brought the universe into being,” [and] “that the purpose for people is to love God and love each other.” He considers that “Christian theology teaches that people were crafted by God to be in a loving relationship with him and other people, Why wouldn’t God, then, design us in such a way as to find belief in divinity quite natural?” Having a scientific explanation for mental phenomena does not mean we should stop believing in them. “Suppose science produces a convincing account for why I think my wife loves me — should I then stop believing that she does?”

Finding that some children believe in super-beings is somewhat unsurprising.

cicerone imposter

Sat 23 Jul, 2016 10:41 am
@nacredambition,
Yea. Superman comes to mind.
AugustineBrother

Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are still avoiding everything. Are the studies wrong ? Not up to research standards ? you won't and can't address that. Now I went in search of the answer to 'What do children believe? " and that is what I found.
0 Replies

CVeigh

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:05 am
@AugustineBrother,
I must check this out before mouthing off. Must be me getting more reserved.
0 Replies