Chechnyan Murder of Innocents

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm
Swimpy - that article you posted really encapsulates the horror and complexity of it all, does it not?

How can this stop...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:58 pm
Quote:
Al Qaeda is more a rhetorical device than an organization

This is wonderful.

Black and black, yes.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 04:22 pm
I still don't feel like I understand this conflict. Whatever the prize doesn't seem worth the cost.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:35 am
Quote:
Chechen Rebels Mainly Driven by Nationalism

MOSCOW, Sept. 11 - Chechnya's separatists have received money, men, training and ideological inspiration from international Islamic organizations, but they remain an indigenous and largely self-sustaining force motivated by nationalist more than Islamic goals, Russian and international officials and experts say.

The flow of financing from Islamic groups that supported Chechnya's separatist movement has slowed from its peak in the late 1990's, Sergei N. Ignatchenko, the chief spokesman for the Federal Security Service, said in an interview on Friday. Yet Chechen separatists have recently managed to carry out the most devastating attacks against Russia in years, killing nearly 600 people since late June alone. [..]

Despite assertions that Arab fighters took part in the seizure of Middle School No. 1 in Beslan 10 days ago, officials have yet to establish that any of the fighters came from abroad or received training or supplies elsewhere. Of the dead identified so far, all came from Ingushetia or were ethnic Chechens, including some who raided police and other security garrisons in Ingushetia in June, killing nearly 100.

Some of the weapons and ammunition used in the school seizure had been captured in those raids, the Russian deputy prosecutor general, Vladimir I. Kolesnikov, announced Friday. Those holding the school and at least 1,200 hostages cited no grievances about conditions in the larger Muslim world, but focused demands on Chechnya's independence, according to official accounts so far.

Officials and experts said in interviews that as Russia's conflict in Chechnya has evolved, descending from separatist bravado into barbarity, a portion of the republic's separatists have merged nationalist goals and tribal codes with the ideology and tactics of groups like Al Qaeda, whose leader, Osama bin Laden, has cited Chechen resistance as part of his global religious war.

The influence of Islamic extremism is clear in much of Chechnya's terrorism now, including large-scale attacks and, increasingly, suicide bombings intended to shock and sow fear more than to accomplish a clear military or political objective. The Chechen fighters have also adopted Al Qaeda's methods of securing money through conduits masquerading as charities, officials say.

Islamic ideology has also left its mark among the separatist fighters, who have adopted, at least outwardly, the dress, slogans and strictures of extremist fighters elsewhere, though it has not taken root in Chechnya's relatively secular society.

Nevertheless, many officials and experts said that influence was limited and, to Russia's critics, overstated by the Kremlin in order to avoid addressing the roots of war in Chechnya. The number of foreign fighters is also thought to be very small - from a dozen to 200, though most estimates fall on the lower end. [..]

The officials and experts said the principal motivation for Chechnya's fighters remains independence, though a goal that after 10 years of war, has increasingly become entwined with Chechnya's traditional codes of revenge, known as adat. Mixed with them are smaller elements of Islamic extremism, including that of the Saudi branch called Wahhabism. [..]

[Lots more, read the whole article (click on the title)]
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
The New Republic's Noam Scheiber:

Quote:
WHAT IS DICK CHENEY TALKING ABOUT?: According to The Note, this is what Dick Cheney had to say about the relationship between Russia, support for the war in Iraq, and the incidence of terrorism:

Quote:
Cheney: "Russia of course did not support us in Iraq, they did not get involved in sending troops there. They got hit anyway. I think we're back now reassessing what the motives may be of the people who are launching these attacks."

Speaking of European countries, Cheney said, "I think some have hoped that if they kept their heads down and stayed out of the line of fire they wouldn't get hit. I think what happened in Russia demonstrates pretty conclusive that everybody is a target."

I'm the last person to suggest you can appease terrorists by keeping your head down and staying out of the line of fire. But if ever there were an example of a country not keeping its head down and staying out of the line of fire, it would be Russia, no? Or, put differently, if there were no such thing as fanatical Isalmic terrorism, and someone asked me to recommend a way to provoke it, I might start with something like, "Wage a brutal ten-year-long campaign against a breakaway Muslim republic where there's a very prominent cultural norm in favor of revenge." (The Chechen word for this norm is apparently adat.)

(In any case, the reporting I've seen about the Russian school massacre suggests the terrorists were either locals or ethnic Chechens, not Muslim fighters from outside Russia.)

posted 6:41 p.m.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:48 pm
Quote:
Chechen rebel claims Beslan siege
Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev has claimed responsibility for the Beslan school siege, in which more than 320 hostages were killed.
A statement on a rebel website said the Riyadus-Salikhin group carried out the attack at the school in North Ossetia.

The group said it also bombed two Russian planes and carried out another recent attack outside a Moscow station.

Russia has offered a $10m reward for the capture of Mr Basayev and another Chechen rebel leader, Aslan Maskhadov.

The Riyadus-Salikhin group has been linked to a large number of terror attacks in Russian in the past decade.
Source
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:14 pm
When all is said and done, they have no qualms about playing their religion card as the ultimate trump, and that was my original point. What other modern-day religion is willing to put its fundamental beliefs in a box while it commits unspeakable acts to promote its own political agenda?

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1094802004

Quote:
He (Basayev) repeated an earlier offer of peace if the Kremlin would grant Chechnya independence, something Moscow has ruled out. "We can guarantee that all of Russia's Muslims would refrain from armed methods of struggle against the Russian Federation, at least for ten to 15 years," said the statement.
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:34 am
"Al Qaeda is more a rhetorical device than an organization"

Interesting quote indeed. I would further add that al-qaeda is all 'cause' and no 'program.'

--Ibn
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:41 am
dlowan wrote:
Swimpy - that article you posted really encapsulates the horror and complexity of it all, does it not?

How can this stop...

As a Muslim, I would say that there must be a collective condemnation--without ambiguity--from the Arab/Muslim world. This is, of course, the starting point.

--Ibn
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
Welcome to A2K, Ibn.
0 Replies