Mamma Robin & her eggs

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:43 pm
I have a question about a Robin. She and her hubby robin built a nest under my patio umbrella. It was quite impressive.
Then my roommate moved the patio umbrella and the robins stayed away for awhile until he moved it back to the original spot. Now she is sitting on the eggs all day long. But i think too much time has passed and the eggs won't hatch, and poor momma Robin keeps sitting there:(
Fact is that is an old patio umbrella, and i had wanted to get a new one, but i don't want to disrupt mother nature & momma robin. What should I do? pls help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,524 • Replies: 4
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:14 pm
@sisterteresa,
My first impression is that Mama knows best. Why not give it more time?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:29 pm
@sisterteresa,
Neologist is right. If the eggs are not viable she will give up when she's ready.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 06:30 pm
@sisterteresa,
If there's no real problem with leaving things as they are until the season is over, maybe best to just leave it be. If it's ugly-looking it's easy to explain to a guest that you are hosting a robin family for the season. Actually that makes the subject an attractive conversation-opener (art least among animal-lovers).

I'm not sure how long it takes for robin's eggs to mature and hatch (maybe it's mentioned on the Wiki), but I would give it some time. They might still be viable. Daddy Robin is probably doing all the hunting and shopping, bringing home grub for Momma at time when you just don't see him.

At any rate, when the summer is over and the robins depart the nest, you can get rid of the old umbrella. They'll find a new place to build their nest next spring.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:18 pm
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:

Daddy Robin is probably doing all the hunting and shopping, bringing home grub for Momma at time when you just don't see him.

Grub is probably a very good choice of words, here.
0 Replies