Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 05:14 pm
I would like some advice on how to proceed with a claim against a school district or whether it is worth pursuing at all. I am a special education teacher in a Texas school. I feel that I was terminated in retaliation for being a whistle blower, and I have been a target of harassment this entire school year. My principal had knowledge of this harassment and neglected to do anything about it. I wrote a letter about this to HR, and I reported that I had not been given a planning period which is required by law. Days later I was informed that my contract would not be renewed. I have never been written up in the 4 years of employment with this district. My reviews have been stellar. Parents of my students have written letters of appreciation to me for my work with their students.

My co-teacher was also terminated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,683 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 05:33 pm
@1010teacher,
This is the part where you call a lawyer.
boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 06:01 pm
Or your union rep.
0 Replies

1010teacher

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:44 pm
@jespah,
My lawyer sent them a letter of representation. They offered me a deal to resign, but said if they hear from my lawyer again the offer is off the table. My lawyer said that if I move forward, they will go to great lengths to discredit me and it will be a long, painful litigation.

I took the deal, but am having a hard time living with it. Since then, I was harassed, bullied, and given ridiculous expectations to fill before my last day with the verbal and written threat of having my resignation rescinded for failure to fulfill my duties. I am still working tonight, and the school year ended on 6/3.

My co-teacher was also terminated. She filed a grievance, and it is under supposed investigation by the district. I should be contacted for my testimony, but as of yet, have not been.

We were told by our principal that she had seen emails proving that two colleagues were trying to "set me up" and "out to get" me. We were told to "play the game" and she would protect us. The principal told us what our room assignments were going to be for the next school year, told us that we are phenomenal teachers, then a week later fired us both.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 09:11 pm

So, you don't have a teacher's union, right?

Texas must be an at-will employer. That means you can be let go for any reason at any time.

I hope you have all this story in writing - the dismissal, etc. They owe you that.
roger

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 10:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
She says she "took the deal". What's left to say?
chai2

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm
Texas is an "employment at will" state.
0 Replies

1010teacher

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:18 am
@roger,
I took the deal because I was being intimidated. The fact remains that I was terminated in retaliation for being a whistle blower which is against the law. They were also breaking other laws by not providing me a planning period or proper facilities to care for my students. When I brought up these issues, I was fired.
oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:49 am
@1010teacher,
Talk to your lawyer again now, and ask your lawyer what options remain open to you.
0 Replies