She came from a good home and all.

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:22 pm
My grandfather was a fair man which is why he hated all christians equally. Some more equally than others but he always had his reasons. He often recalled his reason for hating catholics. One day he drove his new '31 ford into town and was sitting and spitting with the other city and farm folk outside the feed store when a catholic priest, driving a buick, bumped into his ford leaving a dent and a foot-long scratch in the left rear fender and that catholic priest had the gall to drive off with nary a word and to the day he died my grandfather has hated all catholics. Now when he comes to jews, my grandfathers favorite fishing buddy was a jew and the town doctor but whenever they were to go fishing up the arkansa river the doctor jew friend of my grandfather would alway say "Ed, you get everything ready and pick me up at sunrise and don't worry about bait 'cause I will walk out to the ditchbank tonight and dig up a couple Prince Albert cans of worms." but he never did and when they would get up the river my grandfather would have to either dig along the riverbank or catch some grasshoppers in the weeds so the both of them would have bait for their day's fishing. Now when it came to protestants like I said my grandfather was a fair man and as he explained it to me, the protestants spend sunday mornings gladhanding each other, monday afternoons backstabbing each other, sunday nights with their old time gosip hour and wednsday night prayer meetings gloating over their own self-rightnousness in light of how the other protestants were doomed to hell for this or that mis-intrepretation of the bible. But what really struck my grandfather was the summer sunday afternoon social hours held by each of the various chistians with their "bring something to eat from gods bestowed bounty" and we shall eat watermellon till seeds cover the ant hills while talking among the women went something like "that poor Miss Smith, she brought a jello mold and put fresh cut pineapple in it, coming from a good home and all you would think she knew better, no wonder she hasn't got a husband yet."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,542 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:25 pm
A vivid picture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:28 pm
's grand.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:35 pm
More! More!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:39 pm
I agree. I always enjoy your writing, Dys.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:32 pm
I feel a denoument is in the construction phase
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:41 pm
He didn't meet any Mormons?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:00 pm
edgar, mormons is a entire story of itself.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:13 pm
Dys, love, even though we didn't know each other as children, we knew the same Protestants.

"Did you see the minister's wife putting her laundry on the line, even her underwear? Land sakes alive, what is the world coming to?"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:17 pm
It's great to see you two, by the way....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:27 pm
And we hope to see you in Boston this fall--we'll let you know when we know for sure about the schedule.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:28 pm
Yippee! Please do let me know!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 06:37 am
Dys, I can see why your grandfather was a bit put out by his "mainstream" friends. You done him proud by recounting his memoirs, and in a way that is reminiscent of my dad.

Gave me a smile, dys. Thanks for that.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:55 am
P.S. You are an excellent writer, dys, but Diane already told me that.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:10 pm
I need to hear the story of the Mormons.

I'll wait patiently.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
sofia, I will have to send that to you personally, I don't want to get banned.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
Damn; I wish to hear about the Mormons too.

Your writing, as usual, is so evocative that it seems that we had witnessed it all, too.

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:24 pm
OK, dys.

No big hurry, but I'll be looking for it.

<rubs hands together>

I'll PM a copy to you, drom.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:54 pm
You're a star, Sofia Very Happy.

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Smile
de nada, dearie!
0 Replies