Bear gets on its bike at Berlin Zoo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:51 am
Quote:
Bear gets on its bike at Berlin Zoo
By Tony Paterson
31 August 2004

Staff at Berlin's internationally renowned zoo were working to restore public confidence yesterday after a 110kg South American bear escaped from its enclosure and spent more than half an hour frolicking in a children's playground before being knocked out by a tranquilliser dart.

The bid for freedom came at the same zoo where a gorilla, Bokito, recently escaped from his cage but was captured and returned without anyone being hurt. Juan, the Andean spectacled bear, astounded visitors at Berlin Zoo on Sunday when he manoeuvered a tree trunk to the edge of his fenced bear-pit and clambered up it and over a wall into a hastily withdrawing crowd of adults and children.

"The important thing to do in this kind of situation is to keep cool and fortunately that is exactly what people did," said Heiner Kloes, Berlin Zoo's deputy director, yesterday.

Juan made straight for the playground, took a ride on a roundabout, slid down a slide and lounged for 10 minutes on a climbing frame. Zoo keepers attracted his interest by placing a bicycle in his path. As he was puzzling over it, the keepers put a spoke in his wheel with the tranquillising dart. Seven men had to lug the unconscious bear back to its pit on a tarpaulin.
Source

http://bz.berlin1.de/aktuell/news/040831/berliner_zoo_31_8.H2FTI8S/1_normal.jpg

http://bz.berlin1.de/aktuell/news/040831/berliner_zoo_31_8.H2FTI8S/4_normal.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,385564,00.jpg

http://wcm.krone.at/hps/upload/hxmedia_slide/2004/08/30/1_NP1TQ3H2Xk5bs_126838_476.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,435 • Replies: 23
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:11 am
Aw. Sad I don't think I'd like to be locked up in a zoo, either, if I was a bear. More bikes & playthings in their cages, please!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:43 am
Best story for a long time here in this categorie.

msolga wrote:
More bikes & playthings in their cages, please!

:-)

well, anyway. Also bears should play, if they want.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:45 am
I think sentiment is going to be with the Ms. Olga and the bear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
Bear slides! this is a playbear designing bear, very cool demonstration.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
A university back here in the Netherlands is doing a study on how zoo's influence animals' behavior, and early conclusions say that zoo's have a real negative impact on animals. Just to let you know.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Just to let you know.

not only in Netherlands also in other Europeans countries and cities, but still only a few.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:00 pm
zoos are mean Sad

I mean, yeah it's great to get to see these animals but how can a polar bear be happy in MI (Detroit Zoo for example)? Zoos just do not recreate the natural habitat of most animals. Crying or Very sad

He just wanted a little fun...and that bike looked fun! Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:03 pm
Poor BPB. That looks like it was one nasty gig.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
I too don't particularly like to look at animals in cages. That said, my kids and I have had some great days at the zoo.

And the big cat feeding is amazing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:27 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Poor BPB. That looks like it was one nasty gig.

Very Happy I have been waiting for BPD to find this thread, cav.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:05 pm
I have mixed feelings. I appreciated seeing zoos as a child. I got a whiff of horror when I saw a black jaguar in a cage at the LA zoo, a long time ago. It might have been temporary, but I was looking at a jaguar/leopard, ok, very big black cat, at least eight feet long, or so it seemed to me.... in a perhaps twenty five foot apparatus. Gulp.

Since then I have worked a bit on zoo design, though my business partner now was more involved then. Let's say I am for the morphing of zoos to take care the best they can, and that probably has a ways to go.

Zoos aren't the height of the dilemma, I don't think; I don't mean to sound condescending re millennia of culture, but the
folklore about certain animal parts is decimating those animals.

In my humble opinion, my being neither an animal scientist nor 1000 year old concoction purveyor.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:20 pm
As far as zoos go, osso, I'm quite taken with aspects of the zoo here in Melbourne. There are whole areas where the humans walk through cage enclosures to observe the freely roaming animals. Well, as "freely roaming" as an animal can be in a zoo!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:48 pm
The zoos of my childhood were very icky. I suppose the latest zoos now will be thought of the same, which I guess is good. Some of the best now play a key role in the rescue fold. I am not so conversant on it, but listening.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:57 pm
Omigosh, Walter. Thanks for posting those pictures and the story. Really great to read that the bear had, at least, a few moments of freedom. He'll think about it the rest of his life (and probably continue to plot ways to get out).

He seemed to be a fairly well-behaved bear -- nobody eaten or threatened.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:05 pm
Juan, that's his name, is meanwhile back with his parents Isabell and Navarro in the open-air enclosure (after being 'caved' for two days).

The zoo wants to sell him to another zoo - which is, however, nearly impossible: no-one wants to get a pubertating six xears old bear (with such a "history", I add).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:32 pm
But wait, I tell you, that bear has talent, savvy, has a sense of design, playground layout, and more. I am not entirely kidding.
that bear is cool. I'll take him myself, we could discuss playground slides and the climbing bars. Whom do I write to in order to awaken attention to the savvy of this bear, representing other bears?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:50 pm
Zoo Berlin
z. Hd. Herrn Heiner Klös
Hardenbergplatz 8
10787 Berlin
Germany

[phone: 004930254010]

:wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:51 pm
Thanks, Walter. I'm calling right now. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:52 pm
msolga wrote:
Thanks, Walter. I'm calling right now. :wink:

Wait at least ten minutes - no-one will answer before 8 o'clock local time Laughing
0 Replies