Of … ?
maxdog

Tue 19 Mar, 2019 09:35 am
@Leadfoot,
Example of hell
Leadfoot

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 09:42 am
@maxdog,
I wonder which is worse - hell or shithole.
And would 'hell' have raised as much fuss in Trump's remark.
maxdog

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 02:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
Everything and everyplace uncomfortable is hell if it is for long time
0 Replies

mystikmind

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 09:07 pm
I dont believe in the traditional idea of hell, lets look at it logically...
Salseman comes to your door "we got this great holiday deal where you get to live a short life on Earth, then die, after that you got the possibility of going to heaven forever or burning in hell forever, you want to take the deal?"

Would you take that deal?

Customer says "Well with that possibility of burning in hell forever being in there, i dont see how i could possibly accept? Sorry, The only logical option here is for me to continue to not exist, thanks".
Leadfoot

Fri 22 Mar, 2019 09:57 am
@mystikmind,
Quote:
Salseman comes to your door "we got this great holiday deal where you get to live a short life on Earth, then die, after that you got the possibility of going to heaven forever or burning in hell forever, you want to take the deal?"

That is the popular perception of the pitch but that does not match the sales brochure as I read it. It's more like:

"I'm going to give you two main things: My general characteristics and free will to do whatever you want with it in this experimental and temporary environment. Your task is to figure out how best to live with those characteristics in the time granted you in it. (I'll even give you hints).

If you make progress in that direction, I'll show you the final vision of what life here could potentially be if everyone did. If you ultimately choose that vision I'll make it permanent in my world.

If not, I'm taking back the life (spirit) I gave. I understand the hellish regret that you might feel when this is concretely revealed but while death is forever, your regret, and all else, will end. Your choice."

If you want to say that's an unfair or brutal process, would you want to spend forever with anyone who had not successfully been through this process? Besides, worst case, you got to live a free life, for no charge. What's not to like about that deal?
maxdog

Fri 22 Mar, 2019 09:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Maybe you will take that deal but you forgot the deal you have that if you enter life is already a painful journey that can be at any time in your life time without mentioning the infite problems you can have until ypu die . So that a already hell . Maybe not for every one the same ammount of time but you re gonna be a fish in the sea .
Leadfoot

Sat 23 Mar, 2019 04:28 am
@maxdog,
Quote:
life is already a painful journey that can be at any time in your life time without mentioning the infite problems you can have until ypu die . So that a already hell .
I Totally agree.

Kind of makes me want to know WTF is the point. This can't be it. Why pretend to be satisfied with it?
maxdog

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 11:02 am
@Leadfoot,
Can you say in other words ?
izzythepush

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 11:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Kind of makes me want to know WTF is the point. This can't be it. Why pretend to be satisfied with it?

After years of reading American comics, with all the American adverts in them, that's exactly how I felt the first, (and last,) time I had a Hostess Twinkie.

As far as I know they're still as **** as they were then, my feelings of injustice meant **** all.
Setanta

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 04:06 pm
Hell is a wonderful, spicy, juicy beef hot dog . . . and no mustard.
0 Replies

mystikmind

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 04:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
I like this reply!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 09:37 pm
@maxdog,
Quote:
Can you say in other words ?

I was a bit vague. I was just commenting on my confusion about why when people finally admit what the Buddha said was true (that life here is ultimately pain, and disappointment and ultimately meaningless), that they don't stop and seriously ask - What IS the point? Instead they just plod on pretending like that thought never occurred to them. Or they glom on to such clichés as 'We live on in the memory of our loved ones' or maybe we will come back as a better person, or a rock, or even a god. Or as the New Age crowd says 'We achieve enlightenment when we realize that We Are God'. Why do they settle for such self contradictory nonsense.

I'm getting less diplomatic in my old age.
Leadfoot

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 09:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
After years of reading American comics, with all the American adverts in them, that's exactly how I felt the first, (and last,) time I had a Hostess Twinkie.

As far as I know they're still as **** as they were then, my feelings of injustice meant **** all.

I feel compelled to defend the honor of the U.S. in this matter. Twinkies were once the food of the Gods. It was not until those charlatans at Hostess sold off the rights to the name to the abominable **** peddlers that bought it that they became the undigestible piece of offal wrapped in cellophane that is sold today.

I too feel your pain.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 01:52 am
@Leadfoot,
I'm talking about May 1987. That's when I tried one.
maxdog

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 05:03 am
@Leadfoot,
I don t know if it was for real that buddha said that quotes but for sure i understand how those words or sentences come from because it s right and true what they mean .
Leadfoot

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 06:56 am
@maxdog,
Quote:
I don t know if it was for real that buddha said that quotes but for sure i understand how those words or sentences come from because it s right and true what they mean .
If what I come back as is a rock, then there is no point, and I'm convinced otherwise. The Science fanboys claim to value its core values of logic and reason and they should. If there is a God behind this highly ordered universe, those had to be his too.

So when the Buddha says "Thou art God", we should have the good sense to take it metaphorically rather than literally. If there is any independently minted wisdom that I originated, it is that - 'I am not literally God.'.
Leadfoot

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'm talking about May 1987. That's when I tried one.
Amazing coincidence. My instant thought from anywhere in the 80s comes from that very month and year. I'm returning home from a business trip, sitting in a window seat on an airliner waiting on a taxiway for takeoff in a long line of planes. I'm looking out the window at another airliner rolling towards us on an intersecting taxiway. My random thought was that if it did not stop, it would ram right through this window and kill me. At that thought, a wonderful sense of peace seemed to flow through my whole body. Then I was suddenly bitch slapped with the thought - Would I rather die than go home to my wife?

That must have been one nasty Twinkie.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 07:39 am
@Leadfoot,
I flew to Houston with Air New Zealand on an almost empty plane. On the way back it was packed with Ozzies and Kiwis. The bloke sat next to me couldn't grasp I was going home and not on holiday. He kept telling me to visit the Mary Rose during my "stay" in Southampton.
Leadfoot

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Houston, that would explain your feelings about the US. At least it wasn't Dallas. I drive about 100 additional miles to and from Colorado just to avoid driving through it, much less visit.

I never caught the travel bug. After seeing a few other places, I don't see the point of giving up the comforts of home and the hassle of long distance air travel. It's all the same everywhere anyway. Vanity, vanity, it's all meaningless. **** me, I sound like the old **** that I am.