What is Hell?

MadJW

Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:46 pm
@MadJW,
Just because religion as a whole is wrong doesn't mean the Bible is- or that God doesn't exist.

cicerone imposter

Sun 30 Dec, 2018 11:14 pm
@MadJW,
The Bible is wrong simple because it has too many errors, omissions, and contradictions. No god can make that many errors, omissions, and contradictions. A bible that presumes to tell mankind that he can save all mankind after humans have roamed this planet for 200,000 years is a bit late to the party. According to the Bible, earth is 7,000 years old. Scientists have determined this earth to be over 4.5 billion years old. Homo sapiens evolved from monkeys. Study evolution science. You might learn something important.
MadJW

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 10:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
Your name is fitting; your smug arrogance and denials show you an impostor to knowledge, Cice...
MadJW

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 10:52 am
@MadJW,
For those of you that know (or at least believe) the Bible IS inspired by God, on;y when you QUESTION what you have been led to believe that the Facts begin to emerge!

As with any Mystery, to determine what "hell" is, the meaning of the word has to be examined, and going back to the beginning just before the 'crime' takes place is crucial!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 11:03 am
The Bible is a collection of books, selected from many more books, written by men who reflected the thinking of their times, translated often into language that reflects changes to suit later times. That their time has long since gone by the wayside is unacceptable to today's literalists. As the Bible says, paraphrased, "They have eyes but they see not; they have ears but they hear not." Long before Darwin, it was becoming more clear that the Bible had become an object to control populations. Good, moral Christians often support the most heinous policies because god says so, while living their own peaceful, loving, existences. Religion is said to elevate humanity, but it allows for every form of abuse, depending on the sect.
MadJW

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 11:07 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The Bible is a collection of books, selected from many more books, written by men who reflected the thinking of their times, translated often into language that reflects changes to suit later times. That their time has long since gone by the wayside is unacceptable to today's literalists. As the Bible says, paraphrased, "They have eyes but they see not; they have ears but they hear not." Long before Darwin, it was becoming more clear that the Bible had become an object to control populations. Good, moral Christians often support the most heinous policies because god says so, while living their own peaceful, loving, existences. Religion is said to elevate humanity, but it allows for every form of abuse, depending on the sect.

-------------------
What biased and ignorant opinion.
It shows he has NEVER studied its background, nor read it thru.
Then he even QUOTES it to 'prove' his hilarious opinion!

How utterly un-inspiring!
MadJW

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 11:13 am
@MadJW,
Back to Topic- in the beginning, the Bible shows the OPPOSITE of religions claim: that animals ARE souls (nephesh, Heb) translated as "creatures", and that the first man BECAME a soul (nephesh, Heb), usually translated as "being".

Nothing IMMORTAL!

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/theMadJW/Death/SOUL_zpsjpc28hbn.jpg
Leadfoot

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 08:19 am
@MadJW,
I guess I read a little more into Gen 2:7 than you do.

Not to diss the plants & animals, they are amazing!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 01:53 pm
Hell is not about the Bible or religion. It's about how most humans on this planet does not have enough to eat or have proper shelter. World Hunger Statistics - Food Aid Foundation
www.foodaidfoundation.org/world-hunger-statistics.html
Some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That's about one in nine people on earth. The vast majority of the world's hungry people live in developing countries, where 12.9 percent of the population is undernourished.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 03:25 pm
I like Sartre's observation in No Exit:

"Hell is other people."
cicerone imposter

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 08:08 pm
@hightor,
Unless one lives on an isolated island, there is no way to live without "other people."
cicerone imposter

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 11:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hell is having Trump as presid😡.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Thu 3 Jan, 2019 12:08 pm
@BroRando,
Hell is a hole is a grave. Check any dictionary. Everybody goes there except we who are alive when Jesus calls us to meet him in the air.

Everything you think you know about hell came from one book by an Italian guy named Dante Allighieri, based on Roman Catholic traditions. Any book store has or can get a copy.
InfraBlue

Thu 3 Jan, 2019 04:41 pm
@MadJW,
It isn't as cut and dried as you would have it though.

You say that most translations hide the meaning of the word nephesh, but the truth is that "being" is one of many, various meanings of the word nephish. It can also mean "creature," "beast," "thing," "life," "the life," "soul," "the soul," "breath," "man," and also, "any," "one," "yourselves," "person," "myself," "themselves," "thyself," "he," "him," "himself," "his own," "herself," and further, "desire," "pleasure," "lust," "appetite," "greedy," "mind," "heart," "hearty," "angry," "discontented," and "so would we have it."

It appears in passages with other words that have similar meanings, e.g. Job 12:10 "in whose hand is the soul nephesh of every living thing chay and the breath ruach of all mankind."

There, nephesh is something that every living thing possesses as opposed to the living thing itself.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 3 Jan, 2019 04:48 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Ideas about hell predate Dante by centuries.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 Jan, 2019 05:32 pm
@Jewels Vern,
I don't think of "hell is a hole." I don't believe in hell. I told my wife I wanted my body to be cremated, and the dust tossed into the Pacific Ocean.
0 Replies

maxdog

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 03:17 pm
@BroRando,
You can see hell on earth and it s not just one place,hospitals are a form of hell and they exist without doubt as you can see them.
cicerone imposter

Fri 15 Mar, 2019 03:11 pm
@maxdog,
Many countries are hell to live in. Those of us living in developed democracies have it best. Even in the US, over 18 million live in deep poverty. Here are the countries with the percentage living in poverty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty. Hell on earth is not an oxymoron.
Leadfoot

Fri 15 Mar, 2019 05:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Here are the countries with the percentage living in poverty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty. Hell on earth is not an oxymoron.

So then you agree with Trump that these are "**** holes".
0 Replies

maxdog

Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes those are another example