Doctored receipt

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 06:25 pm
a family member and myself have a family phone plan. With a $200 discount, each of our new phones cost $200. My boss is paying for mine because normally I wouldn't be able to afford the data. My family member wants me to photoshop the receipt to hide the discount and make it look like a $200 down payment was made on my phone. So when my boss reimburses me, he will give me $200 for that discount. My family member then wants to use that money to pay for his phone....is this embezzlement? I haven't done it yet because it doesn't feel right, and it sounds very illegal. Problem is, the rest of my family is siding against me on this, causing the pressure in my house exhausting. Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,042 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 06:31 pm
@Sadandconfused,
This sure sounds like fraud to me. I don't think there is much of a question here. This is dishonest, and it is taking money from your company that doesn't belong to you to give something to your family member that doesn't belong to her.

I agree with you. I wouldn't do it. I would tell my family, calmly but forcefully, that there is no way in Hell that I am going to do this.

Stick to your sense of right and wrong. It is what defines us as people.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 06:58 pm
@Sadandconfused,
It doesn't only sound like fraud, it is! Honesty is the best policy for your whole life.
I don't understand why you even consider such things.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 07:06 pm
@Sadandconfused,
You would be trying to deceive your boss and trick him into something he did not agree to. Don't give in to the pressure from your family. .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 07:30 pm
@Sadandconfused,
It doesn't hurt to explain that, if you would cheat your boss, you might also cheat your family member.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 08:12 pm
Not to mention this is to the family member, but if there is a come back on the swindle, it goes to sadandconfued. Not much family loyalty if they put him in this risk for their own benefit.
0 Replies

Sadandconfused

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 08:51 pm
@Sadandconfused,
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I was dishonest once a few years back and it left the worst taste in my mouth. (Nothing major, most likely get slapped on the wrist or told I can't come back to the store, if I was found out) either way though, I swore I wouldn't do something sneaky or underhanded like that again. It's hard when it's coming from family though. I told him I wasn't going to do it, that I wasn't going to put this job I just got on the line so that he doesn't have to pay, and he told me "fine, then you can pay for my phone." I told him no. We'll see how things play out from here.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 09:11 pm
@Sadandconfused,
I would tell him to go screw himself.

No one owes him a free phone.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 09:21 pm
@Sadandconfused,
Good for you.
0 Replies