What happens 10,000 years after you die?

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:48 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Nature is alone!

Correction: Nature was alone.
Then it made us.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 08:18 am
@Leadfoot,
I guess it's because I can imagine so many possibilities that are more interesting and elegant that it makes number 3 seem simplistic and immature in comparison.

And yes it would be bad if number 3 were true because it would mean that my entire appreciation of the universe would be diminished by orders of magnitude.

"The concept of God must be impressive to the individual or it can't be given the title of God."

emmett grogan

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 02:35 pm
@Angelgz2,
Quote:
What happens 10,000 years after you die?

You go back, Jack, do it again.
Wheel turning 'round and 'round.
You go back, Jack, do it again.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 08:40 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I guess it's because I can imagine so many possibilities that are more interesting and elegant that it makes number 3 seem simplistic and immature in comparison.

And yes it would be bad if number 3 were true because it would mean that my entire appreciation of the universe would be diminished by orders of magnitude.

Thanks for the honest reply, that was actually very useful. One of my interests is figuring out the disconnect between people and their points of view and why they can't overcome it. I don't pretend I can do that from just that reply but it's so rare for people of different POVs to be candid with each other that's it's valuable when it happens.

Have to think about it more but one question for now. I can appreciate the elegance of evolution but do you actually think it would ultimately be more interesting than if there were an intelligence behind all this?

I don't mean that 'interesting' should be picked over reality for one's world view but if I were a Hollywood movie maker looking for a script...
rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 09:15 am
@Leadfoot,
It has to do more with the "type" of intelligence which is implied. I'm on an iPhone right now, so I can't type much very easily. I'll try to explain better when I'm back on a keyboard.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:38 pm
@Angelgz2,
Angelgz2 wrote:
1. You cease to exist. Thus, there's neither eternal darkness nor eternal light -- it's the absence of your self-awareness. So in this case, you won't miss anything anymore.
2. Your "soul" reincarnate to another life, in which you have no past life's memory. However, in this scenario your self-awareness goes on, just not your past experiences. Is it possible that you'd reincarnate to the past instead of the future?
3. You go to heaven or hell and receive your eternal reward / punishment. Then you get to know what happens 10,000 years later, if you still care.
4. You wake up in another "life" and realizes that everything that had happened, your birth, life, and death, is just a dream, and how you measure time maybe entirely different in the "real world".
5. The world / universe / multiverse all cease to exist -- it's just a show in your mind and nothing besides you truly exists. "I think, therefore, I am", the only "thing" that I know to exist with a high degree of certainty. I "imagined" the rest and thus when the "self" dies, all else dies with it.

Which scenario scares you the most?

#1 scares me the most. The prospect of ceasing to exist terrifies me. And I'm also not too happy about the prospect of it happening to those who I care about.

I see #2 as a variation of #1. If my previous identity is no longer a part of me, it is poor consolation that my soul is allowed to continue with a new identity.

I see #5 as a variation of #1. Again the dreaded cessation of existence.

I am desperately hoping for a variation of #3. I'd greatly prefer to continue to exist after I die. And I'd greatly prefer that people who get away with terrible injustices in this world were forced to answer for their atrocities in the next.

I guess #4 wouldn't be so bad either.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:47 pm
@Angelgz2,
Angelgz2 wrote:
Hmm, interesting.... I am trying to grasp this Buddhist concept as in #1 but it's hard. Supposedly the absence of awareness is the ultimate escape and Buddhism teaches you shouldn't be scare of it. But still, aren't you afraid that your existence is just a speck in the grand scheme of things and eventually no one will know you ever existed?

I don't care who remembers me. A scenario where "no one alive remembers me but I'm having a delightful time in Heaven" would be vastly preferable to a scenario where "my mind ceases to exist but I am remembered forever by the living".

I think Buddha came to the conclusion that we cease to exist when we die and that most people will suffer through lives of terrible poverty and injustice. I think he created his religion, where it is desirable to have few possessions and then cease to exist, in order to give people comfort as they face that very fate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:51 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Nos. 2, 3, 4, or 5 — any one of them — would be an extreme disappointment on a cosmic scale.

Why would #3 be disappointing? We'd all get to keep existing, and people who get away with horrible atrocities would have to answer for their crimes. Sounds like a perfect outcome to me.
0 Replies