The evil stealing wind farms....!?

carrie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 03:13 pm
This is just something someone wrote into a newspaper I was recently reading. He wrote that his main concern about the increasing use of wind farms as a source of power was based on his theory of them stealing vital wind which has been used for other things....sounds silly right, owing to the skyscrapers etc which stick up into the sky with no apparent wind stealing side effects...

however, I then began to think about the el nino theory, the flap of a butterflies wings causing a chain reaction of events which can cause a hurricane in another part of the world.

Soooo, has this man got his head screwed on or is he on another planet where they bottle and sell air? ....

fun but slightly disconcerting with too much thought...and i mean too much...lol
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,066 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:40 am
Shocked
personally i think the guy may be off his rocker
he must be doing some serious drugs to come out with things like that
maybe he is a friend of david ike

maybe if people built a trillion windmills or say covered every bit of the planet with them, it may have an effect on the earths wind, but even then i doubt it very much....

maybe i could write an essay on how every body passing wind, ie f*rting, is causing hurricanes in the world

this would be as plausable as his theory...

or how everybody needs to f*rt more often to counter the effects of the evil wind stealing machines...

Wink Very Happy
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:48 am
I'm with you 2 on this. The average wind turbine is broadly the same height as a mature tree, and certainly has less profile (width). So does this mean all the growing up and cutting down of trees is monkeying with the wind as well? Crazy!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
Wind is a very renewable resource...as long as the Earth keeps turning we will keep having wind. Sure, if you put up a bunch of wind mills in a field I'm sure the air will be a little bit calmer around that small area...but it's not going to cause any negative effects. The air is less turbulent in a forest also, and you don't see that causing any problems. So yeah, it's BS.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
well all I know is that since they built a wind farm not far from me, my kite doesn't fly like it once did.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:11 am
I'm living close to the biggest windpark in continental Europe - more than 120 wind wheel in one area (okay, technically three areas).

Besides, every community/town has its own windpark (smaller, average 15 to 20 wind wheels).

No-one ever was and is concerned about stealing the wind ...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:16 am
That's pretty cool Walter. Is Germany making good effiorts to move to renewable energy? I'm not sure how many wind farms there are in the UK but I can only remember seeing about 3 in the whole country as I've been travelling around. Some people complain about the noise (I had no idea they were noisy) and that they are ugly. I'm all for them. Geet big turbines on every hill!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:17 am
are they concerned about breaking wind?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:17 am
I also read they are more efficient than solar panels and more cost-effective.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:20 am
How Till Eulenspiegel Became a Furrier's Apprentice

It was mid winter when Till Eulenspiegel arrived at Ascherleben. Times were hard, but finally he found a furrier who was willing to take on an apprentice, and he was put to work sewing pelts. Not being accustomed to the smell of the curing hides, he said, "Pew! Pew! You are as white as chalk, but stink like dung!"
The furrier said, "If you don't like the smell, then why are you a furrier's apprentice? It's a natural smell. It's only wool."
Eulenspiegel said nothing, but thought, "One bad thing can drive another bad thing away." Then he let such a sour fart that the furrier and his wife had to stop working.
The furrier said, "If you have to fart like that, then go out into the courtyard. There you can fart as much as you like."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:29 am
Well, they are not silent - and therefor, there are regulations, how far they must be away from houses. (That's why the town councils etc. created special areas for settling of local windfarms.)

We have quite a low percentage of removable energy - about 3% (2003).

In 2003 there were 15.387 wind wheels working in Germany.

And from yesterday's news: Germany Opens World's Biggest Solar Plant
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:31 am
dys

Now I remember, why m-i-l and her friend stay half the year in Aschersleben (county) Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:34 am
that silly Till Eulenspiegel, what a merry prankster.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:49 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
We have quite a low percentage of removable energy - about 3% (2003).

The article quotes Germany's renewable sources as 9%, Walter. Even more reason to Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
Seems, my figure just is the actual percentage of wind energy in (daily) electricity.
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
There is a law of unforseen consequences. Basically it says that you can't forsee all the things that will come about from your actions, or inactions.

From my experience around windmills, the old plains devices for pumping water, there isn't much interference with the wind. However, salmon didn't have much problem jumping beaver dams along the tributaries to the big rivers in the Pacific Northwest either. The salmon did have major problems jumping the big hydropower dams though.

I only see a problem in that migrating birds do occassionally get hit by the spinning blades. How many that amounts to, and is it a sufficiently significant number to interfere with their species survival? I have no idea.

Could the wind farms mess up the rest of the environment, much like the water trapped behind the hydropower dams drowns the up river canyons, etc.? I don't know that either.

I will suggest that someone should start making measurements and observations of the climate, foliage, animal populations, and bird residents as well as migratory birds well before the wind farms are built. It wouldn't hurt to start those studies around, and I do mean all around, the existing farms. I would suggest a radius from immediately under the towers out to at least fifty KM.

But keep the study honest. Measure the average wind velocities, various pollutants, electrical fields, pollen distribution, rain fall, temperatures, and just about anything else that can be reasonably measured.

Also conduct the same measurement from about 100-120 KM from the wind farms as a control area to compare how changes in the environment from the wind farm compare to changes in the environment unrelated to the wind farm.

The publish the raw data as well as the compiled and reduced data every year, five years, and ten years.

I have aboslutely no idea what will be determined. But this is the only realistic way to figure out what, if any, effect the wind farms have on the enviornment.

Kelly
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:00 pm
Such, what you suggest, KellyS, is done here, by pro and contra groups.

I wonder, however, how this compares to statistics about 200 years, when there were windmills in this region than now wind wheels.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:08 am
I like that!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:19 am
Quote:
Greens split by battle over Romney Marsh wind farm
By Michael McCarthy, Environment Editor
13 October 2004

The increasingly bitter conflict over giant wind farms came down from the hills to the lowlands of south-east England yesterday.

A public inquiry opened into the first big wind power development to be planned for the traditional English countryside: a scheme to site 26 turbines, each 350ft high, on the sweeping landscape of Romney Marsh in Kent. The scheme was put forward by Npower Renewables, a subsidiary of RWE, a German energy company.

All the councils in the area, and many countryside and wildlife groups, oppose the plan, but because its energy capacity is more than 50 megawatts, the Electricity Act stipulates that its fate must be decided by Patricia Hewitt, the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry.

Yesterday an inspector appointed by Mrs Hewitt began taking evidence in the inquiry, which is expected to last four weeks and is being held at Lydd airport in the centre of the marsh. In pitting proponents of wind power against landscape and wildlife conservationists, the inquiry may split the British environmental movement in the way that has been seen in wind power proposals in the uplands - the Lake District, the Welsh hills and the Scottish Highlands.

Some environmental groups, such as Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth and the Green Party, favour large wind farms in spite of potential damage. They have argued that renewable energy such as wind power is essential in the fight against global warming and the consequences of increased droughts, weather turbulence and rising sea levels.

But the opponents of the Romney Marsh development say that the relatively small amount of electricity it will produce - enough to power just over 1,000 homes - is not worth the damage to a well-loved historic landscape teeming with wildlife. the environmentalist Dr David Bellamy said of the Romney Marsh project: "It is not green. It chops up birds. It destroys landscapes."

The local planning authority, Shepway District Council, has twice voted unanimously against the proposal, as have sixteen parish councils, Kent County Council, East Sussex County Council, Rother District Council, Rye Town Council, and Lydd Town Council.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, and English Nature, the Government's wildlife watchdog, are objecting because the wildlife of the marsh is spectacularly rich.

"I feel very strongly about the wind farm," said Sir Sandy Bruce-Lockhart, leader of Kent County Council and one of the leading opponents. "Romney Marsh is one of the most evocative and traditional landscapes of Kent with the wild land dotted with the local breed of sheep, the big skies and the tiny medieval churches.

"Most of the evidence shows that more energy is consumed in constructing a wind farm than will ever be saved by it."

But Stephen Tindale, executive director of Greenpeace, said the greatest threat to birds and plants is the rising sea level. "The landscape is already ruined in visual terms with the two nuclear power stations at Dungeness, and the site for the wind farm is already bisected by the pylons for the Dungeness national grid connection."

But he said that Greenpeace would not formally support the proposal until the group's scientists had examined the environmental impact assessments.
Source
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:44 am
I didn't realise they produced that little energy.

It's a tricky one as I can understand people worrying about the impact on the natural landscape. And I can also understand people worrying about the use of fossil fuels as the primary energy source.

Compromise is needed somewhere along the line.
0 Replies